Attitude

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 pm

daz6215 wrote:Hi Steve, if you look at the table, you will note that there are 4 columns starting with car control at the bottom (level 1 of the matrix) Level 1 deals mainly with psychomotor skill i.e. co-ordination of movement, clutch control etc. Level 2 deals mainly with things like, vehicle positioning, hazard perception etc... most driver trainers train at those levels. Level 3 and 4 are mainly concerned with driver beliefs and attitude and things that may influence decision making! Some trainers dont tap into the higher levels of the matrix!

In my opinion, it's trying to over-intellectualise (is that a word?) the subject. Attitude to driving, or more importantly, risk taking is part of our character as human beings. As we get older, we learn to respect it although some never do. They're the people who were first to climb the tree or jump in the water when they were kids. I don't believe training makes a lot of difference as they'll always want to live life on the edge.

Safe drivers are safe because they have a certain level of fear.
Silk

Postby daz6215 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Silk wrote: I don't believe training makes a lot of difference as they'll always want to live life on the edge.

I would have to disagree with that, that training doesn't make a lot of difference, if that's the case, what is the point of any of the driving organisations. Behavior can be changed, just take a look as some of the research that has been carried out on the subject. I can tell you first hand that a certain large UK blue chip company has seen a reduction in costs due to training received, so it has clearly worked for them. Yes some drivers wont change, so should we just ignore it? We all take risks the minute we drive, but there is a time and a place when we shouldn't i.e. a dodgy overtake as an example, which can certainly be trained to be carried out correctly, which would also include a certain amount of attitude training!

Silk wrote:Safe drivers are safe because they have a certain level of fear.

So why do they have that fear? Many reasons no doubt, but I think it would be fair to say that some may have had an attitude change due to training.
daz6215

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 pm

The GDE matrix goes some way to showing why there's so little evidence to show any proven safety benefit from training.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Horse wrote:The GDE matrix goes some way to showing why there's so little evidence to show any proven safety benefit from training.

Would you expand on that!
daz6215

Postby MrToad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 am

Silk wrote:In my opinion, it's trying to over-intellectualise (is that a word?) the subject. Attitude to driving, or more importantly, risk taking is part of our character as human beings. As we get older, we learn to respect it although some never do. They're the people who were first to climb the tree or jump in the water when they were kids. I don't believe training makes a lot of difference as they'll always want to live life on the edge.

Safe drivers are safe because they have a certain level of fear.

Over-intellectualising, or just trying to explain things better?

There are a host of reasons why people behave as they do, and I believe that understanding what drives behaviour makes it easier to effect change.

The Wheels, Skills and Thrills project was partly working with higher-level issues like peer pressure and questionable role models. Without tackling this aspect, I'm sure that the improvements we achieved would have much less long-lasting.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

daz6215 wrote:
Horse wrote:The GDE matrix goes some way to showing why there's so little evidence to show any proven safety benefit from training.

Would you expand on that!

Yes.

1. See Mr Toad's answer

2. There have been many, many research studies of the effects, if any, of training. Hardly any show a safety improvement.

3. GDE suggests most improvement (in safety) will come from the highest levels, however even a cursory look at training shows that it often concentrates on the lower levels.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:52 am

Horse wrote:
2. There have been many, many research studies of the effects, if any, of training. Hardly any show a safety improvement.

Do you believe that?
daz6215

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 am

Horse wrote:
3. GDE suggests most improvement (in safety) will come from the highest levels, however even a cursory look at training shows that it often concentrates on the lower levels.

My point exactly!
daz6215

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

daz6215 wrote:
Horse wrote:

Do you believe that?

Believe 'what'? That there have been many such studies? There have; want a list of a couple of dozen?

Or that training 'works'? *Good* training might make people safer, but simple skills-type training may not.

And, to put both those points in context, I've been involved with training one way or another since 1979.
Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm

daz6215 wrote:
Horse wrote:

My point exactly!

There are two points there, too :)
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Horse wrote:
Believe 'what'?

Just what you said!

Horse wrote:
2. There have been many, many research studies of the effects, if any, of training. Hardly any show a safety improvement

For someone that has been involved as long as you have :wink: You dont seem to buy the fact that training makes a difference to safety, which I find strange from a trainer!!! How do you train it, if you dont really believe it?

Horse wrote:That there have been many such studies? There have; want a list of a couple of dozen?

No thanks, I've done plenty of research myself

Horse wrote:Or that training 'works'? *Good* training might make people safer,

Horse wrote:" but simple skills-type training may not.

My point again!

Horse wrote:And, to put both those points in context, I've been involved with training one way or another since 1979.

Does time served experience produce better results? Looking at things in the driving context, it doesn't, unless that person continues to self evaluate and recognises there's always something to learn!
daz6215

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 pm

That experience started with RAC-ACU and 'blue book' advanced and progressed through gaining by UK & USA instructor qualifications.

So, no, by no means repeating the same one year 30-odd times :)
Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

What research have you done?
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Horse wrote:What research have you done?

Plenty thanks! :lol:
daz6215

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Horse wrote:That experience started with RAC-ACU and 'blue book' advanced and progressed through gaining by UK & USA instructor qualifications.

So, no, by no means repeating the same one year 30-odd times :)

Good to hear :wink:
daz6215

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum