I've had an accident

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:10 pm

There's something about my experiences of trying to apply reason to an unreasonable person or situation which puts me right off the idea of figuring out the mental meanderings of insurer's stats, because they would firstly need to acknowledge that they need to change. That isn't likely and life's too short.

Having said that, I still take issue with Adelaide Insurance Services (via IAM) for upholding this nonsense, when I asked them what they would do if it was me. By the IAM's own reckoning, i'm now statistically less likely to be involved in a claim of any kind. Perhaps they shouldn't point guns at their own member's feet because we might just walk away? Or are they saying that according to their calculations, i'm both equally as likely to make a claim after about 30 years of clean driving and also statistically not as likely to make a claim, due to them accepting me as an IAM F1rst member? This stuff gives me hives.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby revian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Kimosabe wrote:Statistically less likely to be involved in a claim of any kind.

Aaa.. Statistics... That's why it's worth taking your own bomb on a plane... The chance of having two bombs on board is statistically tiny'
Wirral
revian

Postby martine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

revian wrote:Aaa.. Statistics... That's why it's worth taking your own bomb on a plane... The chance of having two bombs on board is statistically tiny'

And sorry but that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of probability (and statistics I'm afraid).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm

A misunderstanding that has miscarried justice on a number of occasions.
MGF

Postby revian » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:55 am

martine wrote:
revian wrote:Aaa.. Statistics... That's why it's worth taking your own bomb on a plane... The chance of having two bombs on board is statistically tiny'

And sorry but that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of probability (and statistics I'm afraid).

Really? You don't say! :roll: for a moment I thought...you thought...I actually believed it.

Still with an MTBF of a single day at max on this forum one could be forgiven. :D
Wirral
revian

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 am

I didn't mention any advanced driving qualifications to my present insurers and they didn't ask.
The premiums I pay are reasonable in my opinion and I would suspect the service if they were any less expensive.
It's fine and dandy organisations such as IAM mentioning cheaper insurance but then you have to ask cheaper than what and which?
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 pm

fungus wrote:
martine wrote:
fungus wrote:...I want to know why my insurance company didn't inform me of the claim against my insurance as I think that if it went to court the claimant would have had difficulty in winning the case,

Are you going to make an official complaint - I think you are justified? I wonder what the ABI has to say in such circumstances? Informing the insured surely has to be appropriate rather than just paying up and then loading the premium. Do you have legal cover (can't remember if you said this earlier).

Yes Martin, I do have legal cover. I am going to complain, and I think that maybe contacting the ABI and the insurance ombudsman might be in order here, but I will contact the insurance company to find out exactly what has happened first. To be honest they have kept me in the dark about this. The only information that I have received is that they've spent in excess of K6 on investigators and the relevent police fees to cover their own backs. And then they pay up without, as it seems, contesting the injury claim.

Re Legal Cover: You may have included/free legal cover under your home insurance in which case discussing this episode with someone 'independant' may be a good option...

IMO, I cannot see how your insurer is in the right to make a decision against you without including you in the process, especially given the evidence/reports already submitted.

Use your legal cover to sue your insurer or counter-sue the boy - you may not be able to get any money out the boy if you won but I imagine that it wouldn't be held against you on your insurance if you did. Would one of these 'No win, No fee' outfits take it on?
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby martine » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:51 pm

sussex2 wrote:...It's fine and dandy organisations such as IAM mentioning cheaper insurance but then you have to ask cheaper than what and which?

I've got my ST insured via the IAM broker and it's the cheapest I can find...I 'compare' every year and if they are high they always beat my best comparable quote - currently paying £180 for a group 34 car which I think is very reasonable.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm

martine wrote:
sussex2 wrote:...It's fine and dandy organisations such as IAM mentioning cheaper insurance but then you have to ask cheaper than what and which?

I've got my ST insured via the IAM broker and it's the cheapest I can find...I 'compare' every year and if they are high they always beat my best comparable quote - currently paying £180 for a group 34 car which I think is very reasonable.

If that includes such things as legal protection and protected no claims then it is very good.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby IanB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 pm

sussex2 wrote:If that includes such things as legal protection and protected no claims then it is very good.

Probably does. I'm £208 for an ST and that includes both, with the same firm.
IanB

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:41 pm

While we're praising IAM Surety, I cannot speak more highly of the service I have received from Adelaide. They first matched, then beat by miles any other quote I had been given for the same thing and all I had to do was to give them access to my comparison website accounts, so they could check the details for themselves. More than this, the policy is more robust than many of the others I considered.

Somehow being an IAM member carries some weight with Adelaide. I dealt with one person every time I called back and they did everything they could have to give me reasons to buy their product. They were flawless and that's speaks volumes about my dealings with other insurers! I haven't ever made a claim but I get the feeling that if I had to, that they would be equally good. The other benefits of this experience is that I feel more confident knowing I am properly insured, than if I had taken the next cheapest offer. That's always on my mind whenever I drive and helps with my confidence, as it's one less hypothetical 'what if?' to consider.
Kimosabe

Postby fungus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 pm

GOOD NEWS. :D :D :D

I contacted my insurers today expressing my concern that this incident has been noted as an at fault claim, only to be informed that as far as they were concerned it was a no fault incident, and that no claim had been made against my policy, and my NCD has not been affected, and the file has been closed. I recieved conformation of this by email a couple of minutes later. I then phoned the broker, Adrian Flux, but as yet have not recieved a reply from them. Where they got the idea that a claim was being made, I know not, but I'm just glad to have the matter resolved.

Thank you all for your advice on this matter over the last three and a half years.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 am

fungus wrote:GOOD NEWS. :D :D :D

Oh I thought it was the announcement of a new Dacia for a minute. :lol:

Good news indeed - I bet you were almost looking forward to challenging the insurer but ice to see closure to this sorry tale.
martine

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 am

fungus wrote:GOOD NEWS. :D :D :D

I contacted my insurers today expressing my concern that this incident has been noted as an at fault claim, only to be informed that as far as they were concerned it was a no fault incident, and that no claim had been made against my policy, and my NCD has not been affected, and the file has been closed. I recieved conformation of this by email a couple of minutes later. I then phoned the broker, Adrian Flux, but as yet have not recieved a reply from them. Where they got the idea that a claim was being made, I know not, but I'm just glad to have the matter resolved.

Thank you all for your advice on this matter over the last three and a half years.

Three and a half years?! That's obscene. Congratulations, I bet you're relieved. Are they intending to increase your premium on renewal or not? I'm sure the last thing you want to do is to talk to them again but I'd say you should get it in writing if they say they aren't, otherwise future insurers will probably add a probability fine to your premium for ever disturbing someone's call centre answering machine with your trivial nonsense. AF were barely passable with my campervan insurance through membership of an owners club and I eventually bought a policy through ADAC, who were brilliant and who used the AA, except that membership cost a fraction through ADAC. You probably need a holiday after that experience.
Kimosabe

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I have recieved this email from Adrian Flux today.

We have received notification from your insurance company advising that this claim has been settled on the following basis:
Accidental Damage Payments:
None
Third Party Payments:
None
No Claims Bonus:
Not Prejudiced
Your No Claims Bonus may not be affected if you have bonus protection, subject to policy terms and conditions.
We would like to advise that just because your insurance company have closed their file, it does not mean that other companies who have been instructed to assist you have done the same. We also need to point out that if there are any developments in the future then your insurance company reserve the right to amend these settlement details.

What are your thoughts on this?
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum