I enjoy driving everything and want to expand!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 pm

SgorioFruit wrote:Rospa or IAM, is the next question. Or why not both?

Well you could do both but I'm not sure you'd gain that much. Choose your nearest IAM or ROPSA group and have a chat with them. Decide if you like them before committing...if not try another group. I believe there are more differences between IAM or ROSPA groups (in size, friendliness, training etc) than between the organisations.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:00 am

martine wrote:Well you could do both but I'm not sure you'd gain that much. .

Speaking personally I felt I got quite a lot from doing the RoADAR after the IAM.

it's not so muc the differences in standards (which are negligible) but being exposed to a different group with different approaches and different emphasis. This introduced new ideas to me but also forced me to push harder on some aspects.

It may have been in part because this was pre FiRST and the existence of the Gold at RoADAR meant that there was more reason to push harder with RoADAR at the time, but I think it was more down tot eh personalities of the Observers/Tutors.

Even today as a Tutor myself I find that if I do a refresh with a "new" (to me) tutor I still find that I often learn more about my driving.

There are, of course other ways to get such input such as ADUK driving days, training on commercials, HPC, but I would argue against any suggestion that you will not gain much from exposure to another source of input, no matter how similar the "official" standard of that source of input is.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby martine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 am

michael769 wrote:...There are, of course other ways to get such input such as ADUK driving days, training on commercials, HPC, but I would argue against any suggestion that you will not gain much from exposure to another source of input, no matter how similar the "official" standard of that source of input is.

I quite agree - driving with others is always good but you don't have to swop organisations to do that. One of the beauties of ADUK days is you are exposed to a wide range of drivers with different histories and experience. I don't think I've ever driven with someone on an ADUK day from whom I didn't learn...regardless of whether they were 'officially' more 'qualified' than me or not.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum