I enjoy driving everything and want to expand!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:19 am

I am new to this forum so hello everyone,
Ok so far i own all driving license category's including HGV and PCV. The only category i dont have is motorcycle.
I have a big interest in all aspects of driving and i hope to start my motorcycle training next year when i have the time and money.
So there i was thinking iv'e got the lot and done the lot until i browsed online to find out there is so much more to driving which i havent done.
I will keep it brief and list the things i have achieved/obtained in driving, and then i will list the things i have not achieved but have a great interest in achieving.

i have achieved

license categories
B, B+E, B1, C, C1, C+E, C1+E, D, D1, D+E, D1+E
also categories f, k, p, which mean agriculture tractors, mowing machines and mopeds.

and Pass Plus.

i have not achieved

category A (motorcycle) and G, H (tracked vehicles and road rollers)
CPC and ADR training,
Enhanced Motorcycle training
Advanced driver and motorcycle training

i would like to continue to expand my knowledge on driving all types of vehicles and obtaining the licenses i dont hold. This isnt something i will rush, but something i will enjoy, take my time, gain experience, and speak.help others.
i believe i have covered everything that you can obtain for driving in Britain, apart from becoming an ADI. if i have left anything out then please let me know.
SgorioFruit

Postby martine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 am

Hi and welcome sgoriofruit (interesting!).

It might be nice to introduce yourself a little i.e where you're from, what you drive etc.

I've not come across anyone who collects driving categories before...do you want a career in driving or is it just a hobby?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 am

SgorioFruit wrote:i believe i have covered everything that you can obtain for driving in Britain, apart from becoming an ADI. if i have left anything out then please let me know.

Welcome to the forum :D

Funnily "advanced" isn't a category per se and so you have 3 main advanced driving bodies (IAM, RoSPA and DSA Diamond) and then within those you have various levels of tests. There are also driving clubs such as ClubDriving and HPC who have their own internal levels to achieve.

Lots of options and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd happily help you with the advanced side of things! :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 am

martine wrote:It might be nice to introduce yourself a little i.e where you're from, ....

Wouldn't be Wales by any chance?
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 pm

martine wrote:Hi and welcome sgoriofruit (interesting!).

It might be nice to introduce yourself a little i.e where you're from, what you drive etc.

I've not come across anyone who collects driving categories before...do you want a career in driving or is it just a hobby?

I got my licenses through the military but i dont drive for a living now, i do just have a big interest in driving and achieving the categories im missing.

Im going to keep it as a hobby for now, but its nice to know ive always got the PCV/LGV to fall back on if i cant find any work.
Last edited by SgorioFruit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SgorioFruit

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
SgorioFruit wrote:i believe i have covered everything that you can obtain for driving in Britain, apart from becoming an ADI. if i have left anything out then please let me know.

Welcome to the forum :D

Funnily "advanced" isn't a category per se and so you have 3 main advanced driving bodies (IAM, RoSPA and DSA Diamond) and then within those you have various levels of tests. There are also driving clubs such as ClubDriving and HPC who have their own internal levels to achieve.

Lots of options and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd happily help you with the advanced side of things! :D

Chris

cheers for reply mate, yes the only category i need is motorcycle and i have the full lot, thats for UK driving license anyway. i will get involved in advamce driving and relish the challenge of the diamond test later on.
SgorioFruit

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
martine wrote:It might be nice to introduce yourself a little i.e where you're from, ....

Wouldn't be Wales by any chance?
Regards
Brian Haddon

yes mate, south wales, near swansea
SgorioFruit

Postby SgorioFruit » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:39 am

ok heres a question.

on the UK driving license photocard on the front or back, at the bottom of the categories is the little letters f k p
there is only 5 letters you can get

f = agricultural tractors

g = roadrollers

h = tracked vehicles

k = mowing machines or vehicles controlled by someone on foot

p = mopeds with an engine size of up to 50cc and a maximum speed of up to 50/km

Now i already have f k p, and i was wondering how anyone would go about getting letters g and h.
roadrollers and tracked vehicles,
these tests i have looked for online and cant seem to find them anywhere, has anyone heard of what tests has to be taken to achieve these sub-categories??

any info would be great!!
SgorioFruit

Postby vonhosen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 am

I got my H tracked in the Army, Join the TA and get it for free!
daz6215

Postby SgorioFruit » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:55 am

cheers guys, i looked at that babcock site, they also do the training for G license.
also i looked at my work colleague's license the other day, he passed his test 25 odd years ago and on his categories he has f k p same as me and also categories L and N. ive never heard of them before and they not on the DVLA/directgov site.
i have just found online that L license is vehicle propelled by electrical power, i wonder if you can still do this test even though the DVLA havnt recognised it online. the link below is a site i have just found that mentions that L category.

http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/li ... egory.html
SgorioFruit

Postby ROG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:14 am

There was a change in the categories a few years ago
The ones that disappeared are now incorporated into other categories
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby SgorioFruit » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Right i am back,

cant beleive i made this article 3 years ago now.

I have been away travelling and buying house and landing new job etc and now it is time to get back on track.

my circumstances are the same as when i wrote this article, the only diference is

i have passed my CBT for motorbike and now riding a 125cc. and have my Mod1 part of the bike test booked for september 2nd.
Pass this and i will move on to Mod2, pass that and that is the full bike license done.

I will then hunt down a course for the sub categories H and G to complete the DVLA issued driving license of all categories that are available. Then i will start thinking of completeing CPC and ADR training so i can do a bit of lorry/bus driving on weekends through an agency to boost my pay.
And then i will give this advanced driving a good go. And advanced riding for the motorbike.

Why not eh??
SgorioFruit

Postby martine » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

SgorioFruit wrote:And then i will give this advanced driving a good go. And advanced riding for the motorbike.

Why not eh??

Yes absolutely...go for it. You could start by signing up for an ADUK driving day...one coming up in Brecon...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Right I am back.
Over 3 years since I created this post on here. And I am happy to say I have passed motorcycle test yesterday.
I have been bogged down with work, buying house the last couple years so never got round to doing my test.

Next up..

catergory H and G (tracked and road roller vehicles)

Buy a bike of a 600cc size, (I got my eye on a few)

then start to get involved with some advanced training in both Bikes and Cars., Why? you may ask.
Answer: I always look for ways to better myself, improve the skills I have, learn new skills, and become more safe.
the fact it looks good on the CV and drops your insurance quotes is just an added bonus.

Rospa or IAM, is the next question. Or why not both?

Have a great weekend all.

ps, passed an all terrain telehandler forklift test in work last month. Extra one for the ever growing list.

edit:: sorry Martine, didn't mean to be rude, only just seen your reply above. Yes I will get a 600cc bike and then get cracking looking for local advanced riding.
SgorioFruit

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum