PistonHeads doesn't like the AD message.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Ah, I see. That does seem a somewhat irrational move. I can see why you were perplexed.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 am

How about everyone here posting on PistonHeads...supporting, promoting and advocating advanced driving and continuing to learn...then after a while, some brave soul publically asking the editorial team again?

Power to the people!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

martine wrote:How about everyone here posting on PistonHeads...supporting, promoting and advocating advanced driving and continuing to learn...then after a while, some brave soul publically asking the editorial team again?

Power to the people!

I'm not sure they are important enough to be worth trying to influence. I'd never heard of them until about 6 months ago.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Silk wrote:
martine wrote:How about everyone here posting on PistonHeads...supporting, promoting and advocating advanced driving and continuing to learn...then after a while, some brave soul publically asking the editorial team again?

Power to the people!

I'm not sure they are important enough to be worth trying to influence. I'd never heard of them until about 6 months ago.

I'm not sure how to measure relative importance, but from what I can recall PistonHeads has an enormous membership, many times that of ADUK; or at least it used to have. That ought to give them some kind of advantage over ADUK, but it might not be worth much actually. I've no doubt the quality of contributions here will, on average, be clearly superior......or it would be were it not for my efforts! :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 pm

TripleS wrote:I'm not sure how to measure relative importance, but from what I can recall PistonHeads has an enormous membership, many times that of ADUK

About 200x to be precise. I believe PH is the biggest motoring forum in the country. There are certainly a few ADUKers over there.
jameslb101

Postby TripleS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm

jameslb101 wrote:
TripleS wrote:I'm not sure how to measure relative importance, but from what I can recall PistonHeads has an enormous membership, many times that of ADUK

About 200x to be precise. I believe PH is the biggest motoring forum in the country. There are certainly a few ADUKers over there.

True, but I'm no longer one of them. No matter, I have no doubt that ADUK is the more respectable outfit of the two.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:34 pm

TripleS wrote:...I have no doubt that ADUK is the more respectable outfit of the two.

Awww shucks...ahem...that doesn't mean you can post your biased and ill-conceived views 'willy-nilly' though...

:lol:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Power to the people!

I doubt there'd be any point. I've been thinking about the motoring magazines I've read over the decades and, apart from HPC stuff back in "MotorSport "in the 1960s, I can remember only one mention of AD in recent times. If I recall correctly it was in "What Car", over ten years ago, when a journalist there went on a drive with the then IAM Chief Examiner.
It might be that many motoring journalists do have an AD qualification of course but that having to be "macho" in print means not admitting it.
I do wonder though whether IAM HQ approaches the motoring journals offering its services.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Jeremy Clarkson took the IAM test a few years ago apparently. It doesn't suit his image to admit to it or promote the IAM though...shame...but I do think he's very funny and quite a good judge of a car. (he liked my Focus 'ASBO' anyway)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 pm

martine wrote:Jeremy Clarkson took the IAM test a few years ago apparently. It doesn't suit his image to admit to it or promote the IAM though...shame.. (he liked my Focus 'ASBO' anyway)

In a nutshell, you've summed it up.
Bombshell too, AD folks don't all drive Rovers, or whatever is the current equivalent.
There is a serious point in all this, which was what I was trying to assert to the Haymarket seniors and that has to do with what those who have an influence upon their readers (and viewers) are seen to promote.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Indeed - so how do we make AD cool?
martine

Postby Standard Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 pm

martine wrote:Indeed - so how do we make AD cool?

Because it is primarly about safety I doubt there is a way.

People are happy to watch Police interceptors etc or watch motorsport what they probably don't realise is that the drivers are using advanced techniques in an effort to avoid collisions. They are holding the steering wheel properly (most of the time), doing smooth gear changes, hollywood tyres and sliding sideways aren't fast compared to proper lines and smooth control inputs.
Standard Dave

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:52 pm

martine wrote:Indeed - so how do we make AD cool?

By having those who are role models promote it. That is those in the media and those who are seen as exemplary drivers, ie, competition.
The FIA Foundation has an interest in road safety but, how many F1 drivers actively promote AD.
Then, does the IAM seek to connect with those competition drivers and get them on board?
I see stuff, in a local free paper (syndicated, no doubt), from Peter Rodger, IAM Chief Examiner and it's about "prepare for winter driving", "driving abroad" and other such stuff, never "sign up to find out what AD is all about and how it will make our roads safer for all".
There is the problem of, as I like to call it, the formal and informal, those here will know my meaning.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 pm

More role models would be good...Vicki Butler-Henderson is lightly involved in promoting the IAM...Nigel Mansell is the president but keeps a pretty low profile. There must be others - we need young, high-profile types who could be pursuaded...not for money (the IAM can't afford £) but for the greater good (and their PR).

We need to get out more to events and have nice cars/bikes on show to dispell the myth we all drive Rover 75's.

We need to show we're interested in AD...
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm

martine wrote:More role models would be good...Vicki Butler-Henderson is lightly involved in promoting the IAM...Nigel Mansell is the president but keeps a pretty low profile. There must be others - we need young, high-profile types who could be pursuaded...not for money (the IAM can't afford £) but for the greater good (and their PR).

We need to get out more to events and have nice cars/bikes on show to dispell the myth we all drive Rover 75's.

We need to show we're interested in AD...

See, there you go, to most that'd be lots of headlights flashing and, perhaps hand signals because you dared to show your rear end to them, you having overtaken. :)
Btw, expect BRAKE to now lobby hard to make overtaking, on SC roads, illegal.
WhoseGeneration

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum