PistonHeads doesn't like the AD message.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Btw, expect BRAKE to now lobby hard to make overtaking, on SC roads, illegal.

Oh yes - it's been in their mission statement for the last few years...really. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby dombooth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 am

martine wrote:We need to get out more to events and have nice cars/bikes on show to dispell the myth we all drive Rover 75's.

Martin, my IAM group is trying hard to do this. :)

See our Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/IAM.Chesterfield1 Have a look at the photos. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 am

martine wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Btw, expect BRAKE to now lobby hard to make overtaking, on SC roads, illegal.

Oh yes - it's been in their mission statement for the last few years...really. :roll:

That's sort of full circle as regards my initial post on PH.
Our motoring future.
Btw, it appears I'm such a dangerous revolutionary that my ban is still in force.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 am

dombooth wrote:
martine wrote:We need to get out more to events and have nice cars/bikes on show to dispell the myth we all drive Rover 75's.

See our Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/IAM.Chesterfield1 Have a look at the photos. :)

Dom

Nice car but can I make a few suggestions?

There seems to be a lack of younger people manning your stand...I know it's difficult but it would be more attractive to potential associates if it were more their age group.

Get rid of the high-viz jackets - too Health and Safety/Police.

Similarly your banner has Road Safety in large letters...'Safety' is often a turn-off...try 'Skill' or 'Enjoyment' or even 'Save Money'.

Just my thoughts.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm

martine wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

There seems to be a lack of younger people manning your stand...I know it's difficult but it would be more attractive to potential associates if it were more their age group.

Similarly your banner has Road Safety in large letters...'Safety' is often a turn-off...try 'Skill' or 'Enjoyment' or even 'Save Money'.

Just my thoughts.

At the risk of being controversial, I'm not sure the IAM has a future long term. We get people of all abilities wanting to do the course and pass the test, but they tend to have one thing in common: attitude.

The problem is, we're never going to reach those who need the training the most because they are the people who think they need it the least.

I'm not even sure young faces are the answer. Just beause someone is the same age, doesn't necessarily mean you can identify with them better. Young boy racers probably see people their own age doing Advanced Driving as a bit odd and uncool.

IMO, nothing will change until there is a proper, officially recognised Advanced Driving qualification. Without this, Advanced Driving will always be the object of ridicule and the subject of bad jokes.

My prediction for the future is that forums such as ADUK will take the place of the IAM. At least for the driving enthusiasts who don't really care about "club culture". I believe that we will eventually realise that the road safety message of the IAM is falling on deaf ears and a fresh approach is required.

With ADUK, there are no AGMs, no voting, no hierachy, no meetings to discuss the last meeting, just turn up and drive.

I'll get my coat...
Silk

Postby dombooth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:39 pm

martine wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

1 - There seems to be a lack of younger people manning your stand...I know it's difficult but it would be more attractive to potential associates if it were more their age group.

2 - Get rid of the high-viz jackets - too Health and Safety/Police.

3- Similarly your banner has Road Safety in large letters...'Safety' is often a turn-off...try 'Skill' or 'Enjoyment' or even 'Save Money'.

Just my thoughts.

Of course. :)

1 - There was me, I am the young one in the group. :lol:

2 - Already underway. :)

3 - (I think) it was taken from the IAM logo "Driving Road Safety".

Please note that I am not speaking oh behalf on my group.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Silk wrote:Young boy racers probably see people their own age doing Advanced Driving as a bit odd and uncool.

Got it in one!!

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jont » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Silk wrote:With ADUK, there are no AGMs, no voting, no hierachy, no meetings to discuss the last meeting, just turn up and drive.

I'll get my coat...

Coming next Saturday then? :wink:
jont

Postby Silk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

jont wrote:
Silk wrote:With ADUK, there are no AGMs, no voting, no hierachy, no meetings to discuss the last meeting, just turn up and drive.

I'll get my coat...

Coming next Saturday then? :wink:

Unfortunately not. I'm getting my new car sometime in October, so I don't want to put too many miles on my current one before selling it. Once I get the new one though...
Silk

Postby TripleS » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:...I have no doubt that ADUK is the more respectable outfit of the two.

Awww shucks...ahem...that doesn't mean you can post your biased and ill-conceived views 'willy-nilly' though...

:lol:

I don't post "biased and ill-conceived views 'willy-nilly'......" They are all carefully calculated and presented, don't you know! :P

Best wishes all,
Dave - a bit prone to shooting from the hip occasionally. :wink:
TripleS

Postby fungus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 pm

martine wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

Just my thoughts.

Dead right Martin,

Unfortunately, until we have a licencing system that positively encourages further driver development, and governments that don't jump in the same bed as BRAKE, I don't see advanced driving having an appeal to the greater majority.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby MGF » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 am

I own a Rover 75. :(
MGF

Postby 7db » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 pm

So do I - although mine's been shoe-horned into a rollerskate.
7db

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm

A footnote to this. It would appear that, even though banned, I am still worthy of receiving marketing emails from PH.
This does tempt me to contact that Garlick and question the corporate ethos.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 am

SVS

2,099 posts

149 months

[report]
[news]
Yesterday (07:46) quote quote all
The OP is clearly a car driver. My sense is that advanced riding is more popular than advanced driving (perhaps because bikers tend to be enthusiasts, plus the consequences of a mistake are often life-changing).

A crucial difference between the car and bike sides, however, is that motorcycling journalists have been largely won over by advanced training. Unlike car journalists. The majority of bike magazines promote advanced riding in some form, such as BikeSafe or Rapid Training. One 'Ride' magazine journalist is a RoSPA Diploma holder and another wrote a series of articles about his IAM experience. If cynical bike journalists can be convinced of advanced training, surely some car journalists could be too?

Apologies for thread resurrection but this post from the AD forum on PH seems to echo my view from sometime ago.
Just what is it about the car journalists that they won't promote AD?
Oh and poster better be careful with such views on PH.
WhoseGeneration

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum