Motoring plans for 2013?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I don't know anybody else with a 308 :?

Ah, I see! In my defence, it's a sort of blob shape with its mouth gaping wide open and a big Peugeot badge on its nose. How was I to know it wasn't a 208? :)

Are you enjoying it?
GJD

Postby martine » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Crikey Nick...I hope the second half of your reorganisation justifies selling your Alfa...I wait with bated-breath (whatever that is).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 pm

GJD wrote:Ah, I see! In my defence, it's a sort of blob shape with its mouth gaping wide open and a big Peugeot badge on its nose. How was I to know it wasn't a 208? :)

Are you enjoying it?

jcochrane wrote:If it's anything like my 208 to drive you should enjoy it.

Yes, it's reasonably enjoyable (even drew compliments from 2 other drivers the weekend before last, in the North Wales area). More to the point, it's economical - averaging 54 mpg so far, which was the point, really. I took my golf clubs to the dealer and they don't fit in 207s (I couldn't afford a 208 really, and they wouldn't have fitted in that either) hence it's a bit bigger, not quite as economical, but more practical.

martine wrote:Crikey Nick...I hope the second half of your reorganisation justifies selling your Alfa...I wait with bated-breath

I'm hoping so :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby trashbat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Completely missed that you had an Alfa; bit late now, but what was it?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

A blue 159 - I parked it quite close to yours at the Shaftesbury day we both attended ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby trashbat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Ah, cool - come to think of it, I did see it out and about on one of our days, but didn't know it was yours.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm

And, in case you were wondering, here is part 2 of the reorganisation:

I've only had it since Tuesday, so early days to give a full assessment, but the grin is fairly broad. A couple of other people who've driven it seemed to enjoy the experience, too :D

(and yes, I know about all the "it flatters your driving" aspects. I don't care!).

The hardtop is safely in the garage btw, although if the weather continues to get wetter, it may come back out again for a while.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

Nice one Nick...I really fancy* a Cayman S...errr...probably a dark colour but apart from that, a very similar car!

* When I say 'fancy' I mean without reference to my wife or bank manager so it's not going to happen anytime soon. :(
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:36 am

Nice choice Nick. Are you keeping the wheels yellow?

mefoster wrote:When they say that you should be able to drive from Land's End to John O'Groats in a bright yellow sports car without attracting any undue attention... you know they didn't mean it literally, right?

:lol:
jameslb101

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Are you keeping the wheels yellow?

For now, yes. I'm ambivalent about them. Originally I thought they would have to be changed immediately, but on reflection I can see that in some respects they work. Opinion among those who've commented on them is about 50/50. My next door neighbour came over and said without prompting "I really like the yellow wheels", and I've had other similar comments. I'll leave them for a while and see if I grow to like them more or the reverse. For now, I'm undecided.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Forget the wheels...you need to get that illegal number plate sorted out first... :lol:
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:12 pm

So who has (or hasn't!) achieved their plans?

Mine were to...

jameslb101 wrote:[1]...buy myself an inexpensive but fun car.

[2] Get to all the ADUK days and HPC runs I can afford to.

[3] Do some more track work - Brands Hatch and Oulton Park are tracks I really want to try - and perhaps even a drift day.

[4]I've heard a lot of good things about Andy Morrison, so perhaps a half-day with him would be a good way forward...

1) Yes, got an MR2 (then sold it for the BMW)

2) Lost count of how many I've done this year, so I'd say so

3) Very much so. Did Brands and a drift day, and Oulton is booked for 1st Feb

4) Unfortunately not. I think I've done a lot to progress as a driver, including a day with Don Palmer and a morning with StreesedDave at the Essex ADUK day, but I'll have to add seeing Andy to my 2014 plans.
jameslb101

Postby Oldie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm

martine wrote:Nice one Nick...I really fancy* a Cayman S...errr...probably a dark colour but apart from that, a very similar car! :(

Sorry if that was my fault back on our Banbury driving day Martin. Hate to see a grown man pining away. I might bring it on 18th January to "somewhere near Newbury", but I'd also like to get under the skin of my Octavia vRS too. Choices, Choices!!! :?
IAM (Newbury Group Chief Observer, National Observer, Masters Distinction, Mentor for Masters), HPC member
Oldie

Postby gannet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm

gannet wrote:nothing planned other than HPC entry course and possibly the subsequent events :D

oh and ADUK days of course ;)

changed car last year, so would be greedy to do so again...

well I didnt change car...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Oldie wrote:
martine wrote:Nice one Nick...I really fancy* a Cayman S...errr...probably a dark colour but apart from that, a very similar car! :(

Sorry if that was my fault back on our Banbury driving day Martin. Hate to see a grown man pining away... :?

Yes very perceptive - you did nothing for my future bank balance...not imminent but I'd definitely consider one when it's time to replace my ST.
martine

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum