Build Your Own System

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby brianhaddon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 pm

On the IAM forum whillst responding to particular thread I posted a question regarding 'The System'. It hasn't quite got off the ground there yet but I thought I would ask it to a wider audience as many of you on here are not members of the IAM. Well don't know if it wil fly here but here goes -

If you had to devise a system of driving what form would it take and where would you start in your thinking process? I would also add - what does driving to 'The System' mean to you?

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby trashbat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I imagine that you are looking for physical patterns, a la IPSGA, but I'll throw you a different bent on the subject, and a simple one at that: 'continuous improvement'.

After pretty much any interaction with a car, big or small, you can always be asking yourself: What works? What doesn't? What risks did doing that expose me to, and how can they be mitigated? What can be done better?

Adopting IPSGA etc is a subset of that family. This kind of thing can be presented as dogma, but forget that. Prescribed right, it's a practical tool that you can be handed and then use to improve a tangible scenario that matters to you.

Driving to this system means trying to be introspective, objective, dynamic and motivated to seek opportunities for furthering one's drive.

If anyone is a software engineer or project manager, you might be familiar with Agile principles. There's a lot to be taken from that, but two key points that I would highlight: treat process like medicine, only prescribing that which is necessary for the patient's improvement; and always use retrospectives to do things better from then on.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby jont » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

trashbat wrote:If anyone is a software engineer or project manager, you might be familiar with Agile principles. There's a lot to be taken from that, but two key points that I would highlight: treat process like medicine, only prescribing that which is necessary for the patient's improvement; and always use retrospectives to do things better from then on.

If you're doing "agile" analogies you could also add that that the development is never finished :roll: :lol:
jont

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

brianhaddon wrote:On the IAM forum whillst responding to particular thread I posted a question regarding 'The System'. It hasn't quite got off the ground there yet but I thought I would ask it to a wider audience as many of you on here are not members of the IAM. Well don't know if it wil fly here but here goes -

If you had to devise a system of driving what form would it take and where would you start in your thinking process? I would also add - what does driving to 'The System' mean to you?

Regards
Brian Haddon

Safety, Smooth, Style

Details:
http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/cornering.html
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum