Should she be on the road?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Yesterday my wife was at Corfe Mullen cemetery tending to her mothers grave. There was another lady aged about mid fifties, with a passenger parked in the parking area. As my wife returned to her car the other lady, who was vaguely known to my wife, started to reverse out, amid much revving of the engine. After completing her reverse, the driver then proceeded to exit the cemetery into the quiet lane that leads to the main road. By this time my wife was back to her car when she heard a screeching, scraping noise coming from the vicinity of the exit. Looking in that direction, she noticed that the other driver had driven out of the cemetery and into the hedge of the old cemetery opposite. :shock: The bonnet of the car was embedded in the hedge. She ran over to the car to see if the occupants were OK, to which she was told," Yes we're fine thank you." The driver then reversed out, and went on her way. Should she be on the road?

This is the location.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=50.778365,-2 ... 6&t=h&z=20
Last edited by fungus on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby dombooth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

100% NO!

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby martine » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Obviously not.

Did you consider reporting her to the police? I know it's not an easy or nice thing to do but it sounds like she could have a serious problem and you might just be stopping a future tragedy.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 pm

martine wrote:Obviously not.

Did you consider reporting her to the police? I know it's not an easy or nice thing to do but it sounds like she could have a serious problem and you might just be stopping a future tragedy.

I don't think it crossed my wifes mind to report the incident to the police, as there was no one injured, and there was no damage other that scratching to the ladies car, but I can see where you're coming from.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Could you ascertain why she drove into the hedge? On the surface the answer is no. But I would dig a bit before answering.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby jcochrane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 am

brianhaddon wrote:Could you ascertain why she drove into the hedge? On the surface the answer is no. But I would dig a bit before answering.
Regards
Brian Haddon

My thoughts as well, Brian.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Gumby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Nope, however in my experience reporting motoring related things to your local police station they couldn't care less- "what do you want us to do?...oh, erm well, let me wright down your details (on a scrap piece of paper, not a form) and we'll try and get back to you"

Not much you can do really, just hope they'll either give up by themselves or the police happen to be around when it happens again.
Last edited by Gumby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumby

Postby PeterE » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm

I can't help thinking that if the police started an anonymous "shop a dangerous driver" hotline it would give a green light to individuals with a grudge.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Angus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Variation on "Cassie's Law"?
Angus

Postby lyndon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:15 am

Memo to self: When driving past a cemetery, be aware that people leaving the cemetery, or driving to it, may not be concentrating on their driving to the extent that I would like.
lyndon

Postby intransit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm

PeterE wrote:I can't help thinking that if the police started an anonymous "shop a dangerous driver" hotline it would give a green light to individuals with a grudge.

Unfortunately with that I would spend more time on the phone than getting my work done. As the old saying goes
"I could write a book"
As good as some...better than most!
intransit

Return to General Car Chat Forum