skills for life

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm

f3racer wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:
f3racer wrote:It's interesting, the association between "buying" a skills for life course and subsequently receiving training for your advanced test. I would have thought this contravenes the law that states only an ADI/PDI can provide tuition for monetary reward!

Isn't the IAM a charity so there is no monetary reward?

Chris

I'm not sure how it works but they're basically taking money in return for offering a form of tuition.

And this is why there is no tuition offered - it is "observing" and the observer doesn't receive any monetary award.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby michael769 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm

I seem to recall that this question was discussed in the IAM magazine a few years back and the advice from the DSA was they they do not view what the IAM volunteers do as being paid instruction mainly because the "instructor" receives no payment, fee or salary.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby f3racer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Gareth wrote:
f3racer wrote:they're basically taking money in return for offering a form of tuition.

Done to death here and elsewhere. You could view it as the central body taking money for a book and a test, but then also giving you the chance to get some help with the preparation. You don't have to take up the offer of help but it is there if you want it. Equally, you can learn from the book, practice by yourself then put in for the test.

Anyway, if you want to stir up trouble you can try to force a prosecution. Much more effective than sounding off about it on fora. If you do follow this path, let us know how you get on.

Not looking to stir up trouble, and am not "sounding off". It doesn't personally distress me, I was just curious how the process works for them, as it would seem to be in breach of the law. Clearly it isn't, or they wouldn't still be doing it, but like I say... just interested.
f3racer

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm

f3racer wrote:it would seem to be in breach of the law. Clearly it isn't

It might be but there hasn't been a test case. The DVLA aren't interested in prosecuting IAM and RoADAR observers.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby MGF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 pm

One could argue that the associate makes a payment in return for tuition (regardless of the labels given to the activity) but if the authorities are not interested in prosecuting, it is an academic argument.
MGF

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum