Anyone used a CG Lock?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Thinking of getting one of theses as they get quite positive feedback on forums. I know how much difference it makes to not be sliding around in your seat, so one of these could be useful for track days and even progressive road driving. Has anyone used one, and what did you think of it?
jameslb101

Postby jont » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes, have used one in the past and was very good, though can cause slight damage to trim/seats. Not using mine at present and you're welcome to borrow it. In fact if I remember (and can find it), I'll bring it on Saturday.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I think they're one of those things that end up in the door pocket / glovebox and eventually in the "stuff you cleared out of the car when you were tidying" bin. Sometimes on a brisk drive, or on track, I'll just pull my seatbelt a bit tighter by hand, but honestly if you're being thrown about so much that you need the seatbelt to hold you in while driving (as opposed to crashing) is that where you want to be on the scale of speed vs. smoothness?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Had one for a bit a number of years back. Didn't really notice a huge difference using it, except for it being a PITA for short journeys, and in the end sold it on to someone on a forum who was specifically after one. In the 3 months it was on the car, I also experienced damage to the seat belt but when I raised it with the people who made the CG Lock they assured me it was just cosmetic damage - I wasn't particularly convinced, but I am no expert and wasn't planning to chance it. :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Interesting feedback everyone, thanks.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:..if you're being thrown about so much that you need the seatbelt to hold you in while driving (as opposed to crashing) is that where you want to be on the scale of speed vs. smoothness?

Although my driving could always be smoother, any enthusiastic driving (particularly on track) will generate G-forces. That's just physics. I see smoothness as minimising the rate of change in G, so even the smoothest driver could reduce the apparent effect of these changes, but still pull strong outright forces. It's during theses forces where you have to hold yourself in place against the steering wheel, and this can't be beneficial to steering in terms of precision and accuracy of input, and also sensitivity to feedback.

jont wrote:Yes, have used one in the past and was very good, though can cause slight damage to trim/seats. Not using mine at present and you're welcome to borrow it. In fact if I remember (and can find it), I'll bring it on Saturday.

Jon, that would be fantastic. I could give it back next time I'm in Bristol but in the mean time I can decide if I find it beneficial before sinking a not insubstantial amount in one myself.
jameslb101

Postby Custom24 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 am

I have two and would use them all the time if I could. I really like the way they hold you in your seat, even for normal driving. That's not to everyone's taste, though.

Unfortunately, they are not particularly well made. Mine were the second generation ones. One of them was really poor and kept falling apart. It actually fell apart one the first day I used it. I sent it back but I think they just put it back together and sent it right back to me, because it would occasionally fall apart. The other was better, and lasted for a while, but at the moment is also broken until I get round to fixing it.

I suspect that it's my other half who is not particularly careful with it, so if there is someone else who drives your car, you may end up in the same situation.
Custom24

Postby jont » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 am

ScoobyChris wrote:Had one for a bit a number of years back. Didn't really notice a huge difference using it, except for it being a PITA for short journeys, and in the end sold it on to someone on a forum who was specifically after one.

I have a feeling that was me :lol:
jont

Postby Silk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Thinking of getting one of theses as they get quite positive feedback on forums. I know how much difference it makes to not be sliding around in your seat, so one of these could be useful for track days and even progressive road driving. Has anyone used one, and what did you think of it?

I must be getting old. I don't even know what a CG Lock is.
Silk

Postby martine » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Steve: Yes you are.

Bizarely CG locks are approved by 'BRAKE'... :shock:
http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/about/press-releases/brake/
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 am

Of course, it'd be better if all cars were fitted with six point harness belts and a proper roll cage.
The belts being designed to be easily used and the roll cage integrated into the vehicle structure.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jameslb101 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 am

Silk wrote:I must be getting old. I don't even know what a CG Lock is.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cg+lock

:wink:
jameslb101

Postby Silk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Of course, it'd be better if all cars were fitted with six point harness belts and a proper roll cage.
The belts being designed to be easily used and the roll cage integrated into the vehicle structure.

Is that in addition to or instead of better driver training?
Silk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Of course, it'd be better if all cars were fitted with six point harness belts and a proper roll cage.

Is that in addition to or instead of better driver training?

Always in addition to better driver training, my presence here should indicate my belief in such. Those here being few though, with Government and those others who could influence having little interest in the subject.
Which, of course, explains the official approach to road safety.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Return to General Car Chat Forum