Attitude

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 am

I think we would all agree that attitude is the key to safe driving, how do you promote this aspect (GDE Level 4 and 5) in training you deliver?

Or, do you simply focus on the psychomotor skills at the lower end of the matrix?
daz6215

Postby Silk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 am

daz6215 wrote:I think we would all agree that attitude is the key to safe driving, how do you promote this aspect (GDE Level 4 and 5) in training you deliver?

Or, do you simply focus on the psychomotor skills at the lower end of the matrix?

Could I have that in English? :shock:
Silk

Postby Russ_H » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 am

Silk wrote:
daz6215 wrote:I think we would all agree that attitude is the key to safe driving, how do you promote this aspect (GDE Level 4 and 5) in training you deliver?

Level 1 is vehicle control, and the levels then go upwards to Goals for life and skills for living.

Level 5 deals with organisational and societal factors. It was added later.
Russ_H

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 am

As a slightly related question, does being in a training environment influence the attitude on display that you have to work with?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:35 am

ScoobyChris wrote:As a slightly related question, does being in a training environment influence the attitude on display that you have to work with?

Chris

The role of the training environment is to try and influence attitude, using different teaching methodologies such as taking students into the affected domain and then back into the cognitive domain can have profound effects if used properly.
daz6215

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

daz6215 wrote:The role of the training environment is to try and influence attitude, using different teaching methodologies such as taking students into the affected domain and then back into the cognitive domain can have profound effects if used properly.

Are you able to expand on that with an example? I don't have a teaching/coaching background but my experience is that people tend to be on their best behaviour when their driving is being watched, but this changes when they relax and they're not (aware of being) watched. I am probably also guilty of this to some degree :oops:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:20 am

daz6215 wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:As a slightly related question, does being in a training environment influence the attitude on display that you have to work with?

The role of the training environment is to try and influence attitude

Which can go both ways . . . :cry:

To answer the OP, I think one of the keys is development of self-awareness, so that the trainee is able to make their own decisions when away from the trainer.

Another is developing choices and alternative strategies. This has been shown to work for reducing 'speeding', by preparing the driver with alternatives for given situations, so they avoid knee-jerk responses and, instead, are able to put a pre-prepared strategy into use.

Further . . . many (most?) drivers don't have a true understand of either the basic physics of driving (thinking and stopping distances are good example) or of the risks involved (overtaking is an example here). A further example is the relationship between speed and braking distances - or impact force if it goes wrong . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:29 am

The affected domain deals with people's emotions, if students are presented with evidence that challenges all ready held beliefs, opinions may begin to change. As an example, a student may think using a phone while driving is acceptable. so I may want to take them into the affected learning domain using a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Once the video has been watched, the students will then be taken into the cognitive domain, this is the process of getting them to come up with solutions that may prevent such a thing occurring.
daz6215

Postby jasonh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

Do you mean affective domain?
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am

jasonh wrote:Do you mean affective domain?

yes
daz6215

Postby Silk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Russ_H wrote:
Silk wrote:

Level 1 is vehicle control, and the levels then go upwards to Goals for life and skills for living.

Level 5 deals with organisational and societal factors. It was added later.

I'm still none the wiser - I didn't realise driving was so complicated. I think I'll leave you all to it. :wink:
Silk

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Steve, if you look at the table, you will note that there are 4 columns starting with car control at the bottom (level 1 of the matrix) Level 1 deals mainly with psychomotor skill i.e. co-ordination of movement, clutch control etc. Level 2 deals mainly with things like, vehicle positioning, hazard perception etc... most driver trainers train at those levels. Level 3 and 4 are mainly concerned with driver beliefs and attitude and things that may influence decision making! Some trainers dont tap into the higher levels of the matrix!
daz6215

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Am I right in reading that levels 1-3 relate specifically to driving? However level 4 starts to overflow into other aspects of the driver's life (and I would imagine to a greater degree level 5). If that is the case do you try to guide through levels 4 and 5 in their relevance to motoring only or not?
For what its worth I am not an ADI but do observe for my local RoADAR group. I do concentrate on levels 1 and 2 (as you would expect) and perhaps occasionally into level 3. However the further up the matrix you look the more careful it seems to me the training needs to be without slipping into intrusion. How is that reconciled?
Would you expect group training, which many on this forum participate in, to climb to levels 4 and 5?
I do bring in attitude and approach but am not sure in which level my understanding of it sits, as level 4 (at least) seems to broaden the concept more than I would consider.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:09 pm

brianhaddon wrote:Am I right in reading that levels 1-3 relate specifically to driving? However level 4 starts to overflow into other aspects of the driver's life (and I would imagine to a greater degree level 5). If that is the case do you try to guide through levels 4 and 5 in their relevance to motoring only or not?

I personally try to relate things to the driving context, adults have to see the relevance in something to take it on board I find!

brianhaddon wrote:For what its worth I am not an ADI but do observe for my local RoADAR group. I do concentrate on levels 1 and 2 (as you would expect) and perhaps occasionally into level 3. However the further up the matrix you look the more careful it seems to me the training needs to be without slipping into intrusion. How is that reconciled?Brian Haddon

I think you are correct Brian, I would give a health warning prior to dialogue and not make it personal with the student.

brianhaddon wrote:Would you expect group training, which many on this forum participate in, to climb to levels 4 and 5?Brian Haddon

I think it works better in groups because it can spark a healthy debate which allows peers to express their views on the subject, however it can be done on a one to one basis.

brianhaddon wrote:I do bring in attitude and approach but am not sure in which level my understanding of it sits, as level 4 (at least) seems to broaden the concept more than I would consider.
Regards
Brian Haddon
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:48 am

Silk wrote:
I didn't realise driving was so complicated. I think I'll leave you all to it. :wink:

Ditto. :lol:
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum