Attitude

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 pm

daz6215 wrote:
Horse wrote:What research have you done?

Plenty thanks! :lol:

Go on, don't be coy. I've posted in other thread (mr toad's youth training) about the training research I've done.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Horse wrote:
daz6215 wrote:

Go on, don't be coy. I've posted in other thread (mr toad's youth training) about the training research I've done.

I've been involved with many schemes run by the local authorities and have recently been involved with driver attitude for the driving school I work for, I could of course just make things up and blow my own trumpet but I dont need to! :lol:

You didn't answer the question, do you believe what you wrote earlier, dont be coy! :D
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:56 am

Horse wrote:I've been involved with training one way or another since 1979.

Huh, that's nuffin. I've been involved with training since about 1956. It's only involved me of course, but it has given an excellent result! :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm

daz6215 wrote:

I've been involved with many schemes run by the local authorities and have recently been involved with driver attitude for the driving school I work for, I could of course just make things up and blow my own trumpet but I dont need to! :lol:

Is that published, scientific research? i.e. Control group, statistical analysis of results, methodology included in the publication, etc.

daz6215 wrote: You didn't answer the question, do you believe what you wrote earlier, dont be coy! :D

I presume you're not suggesting I lied? I try to be very honest and clear in my posting. I also presume you don't think that I would have continued my involvement with training if I didn't think it did some good?

How's this:

Good training is effective but - even from the same syllabus - 'bad' training isn't. However, training could often encourage 'poor' riders - who might otherwise have given up riding - to continue, so increasing their exposure to risk as 'riders'. Also, 'skills'-based training can cause over-estimation of ability and over-confidence in those skills.

Similarly, the effectiveness of training can depend on many things - but largely on what you actually plan the training to achieve (objectives /success criteria) to achieve. Going back to the GDE matrix, if you only - for example - train skid control [GDE level 1] then that won't stop drivers getting into loss of control situations.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm

TripleS wrote:
Horse wrote:I've been involved with training one way or another since 1979.

Huh, that's nuffin. I've been involved with training since about 1956. It's only involved me of course, but it has given an excellent result! :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

:lol: Which probably means that your 'goals for life' were sorted - whether you realised it or not!
Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 pm

daz6215 wrote:
Horse wrote: 2. There have been many, many research studies of the effects, if any, of training. Hardly any show a safety improvement

want a list of a couple of dozen?

No thanks, I've done plenty of research myself

For anyone who is interested in the research, I've put together a Word document listing some links, extracts and abstracts. PM me an email address if you'd like a copy.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Horse wrote:
Is that published, scientific research? i.e. Control group, statistical analysis of results, methodology included in the publication, etc..

I didn't say I had published a paper! I said I had carried out research!

Horse wrote:I presume you're not suggesting I lied? I try to be very honest and clear in my posting. I also presume you don't think that I would have continued my involvement with training if I didn't think it did some good?

You said-
Horse wrote:There have been many, many research studies of the effects, if any, of training. Hardly any show a safety improvement.

Im not suggesting anything, you said it!

I said, do you believe that? You did not answer!

I'm still not sure what side of the fence your on because you seem to be implying that you dont believe training works, your words not mine!

Horse wrote:"Similarly, the effectiveness of training can depend on many things - but largely on what you actually plan the training to achieve (objectives /success criteria) to achieve. Going back to the GDE matrix, if you only - for example - train skid control [GDE level 1] then that won't stop drivers getting into loss of control situations.

Now your my side of the fence, make your mind up!
daz6215

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

My mind's made up fine, thanks. I'm prepared to stand by my posts.

I offered you the research papers, you declined. Why not tell us about the observations you made.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Horse wrote:My mind's made up fine, thanks. I'm prepared to stand by my posts.

I offered you the research papers, you declined. Why not tell us about the observations you made.

This thread is not about my observations, It is about how attitude training is promoted, and if the higher levels of the matrix are being used.You seem to be quite hung up on what research I have carried out, what are you trying to prove? You state you have been involved in training since the 70s, what's the relevance? absolutely nothing to do with the post! Do you have something to prove? So maybe you could start by simply answering the question,

How do you promote training at the higher levels of the GDE matrix, why do you use that method and why does it work for the student?

I've already told you how I may do it and the methodology, what about you?
daz6215

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 pm

http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/repor ... clists.htm

I wrote and presented the training for that, does that count?
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Horse wrote:http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/reports_publications/trl_reports/cat_road_user_safety/report_development_of_a_video_measure_of_hazard_perception_skill_and_a_group_discussion_based_hazard_perception_training_package_for_motorcyclists.htm

I wrote and presented the training for that, does that count?

So what methodology did you use? Does better hazard perception skill address the higher level of the matrix? If it did work, why did it?
daz6215

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

You've not read it, have you?
Horse

Postby jasonh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Guys this has become a bit of a slugfest/appendage-waving contest, somewhat tedious for the rest of us. Feel free to now round on me in classic internet forum style.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm

jasonh wrote:Guys this has become a bit of a slugfest/appendage-waving contest, somewhat tedious for the rest of us. Feel free to now round on me in classic internet forum style.

Offer still stands for research if anyone wants to learn more, just PM me an email address.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Horse wrote:You've not read it, have you?

yes Ive read it, how did it challenge and change attitude for the younger riders? what did they 'really' base their speed choice on? were there strategies in place to find out why they felt it was ok to ride faster into hazards? what was their answer?
Which level of the matrix were you using?
daz6215

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum