Norfolk PCC Stephen Bett: 'Scrap some speed limits'

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby dombooth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I like his thinking :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Angus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 pm

So do I.

He won't last long
Angus

Postby jont » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Angus wrote:So do I.

He won't last long

Yup, can't see him lasting long at all spouting common sense like that :(
jont

Postby GJD » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Does the Guild of Experienced Motorists use a different definition of "inappropriate speed" to everyone else? The quote from their chief executive appears to completely miss the point.
GJD

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:59 pm

The GEM Road Safety Charity website gives a reasonable idea about where they're coming from.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby michael769 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm

I am a little sad he has gone straight for an unattainale goal.

His laudable sentiment might have been better directed into challenging some of the more ludicrous speed limit reductions and suggesting they be raised to a level that might garner a little more respect.

Everyone need to walk before they can run.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Gumby » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

This guy knows his stuff. Totally agree with him, but sadly there are those who don't understand the reason why this is a good idea :(
Gumby

Postby Ralge » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

For me, anyone who aspires to have reaction speeds of a Formula 1 driver (or of a fighter pilot) to be a good driver does not get my vote.
Nor does anyone who thinks static posts/boards with pictures and numbers on are "mesmerising". How does he deal with the moving road users who might not expect a Formula 1 driver to be on the same road?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:18 am

Ralge wrote:For me, anyone who aspires to have reaction speeds of a Formula 1 driver (or of a fighter pilot) to be a good driver does not get my vote.
Nor does anyone who thinks static posts/boards with pictures and numbers on are "mesmerising". How does he deal with the moving road users who might not expect a Formula 1 driver to be on the same road?

Fighter pilots and Formula 1 drivers do not have significantly higher reaction times than the majority of others of the same age.
What they do have is the brain processing ability to be able to operate and think at high speeds.
Many more, given training, can do the same, up to their individual capabiliity. That should include recognising their limits.
A phrase used in aviation is "Keep ahead of the aeroplane", which is, presumably, what AD is also about.
In that, what I am doing now has been previously planned and not just an action based upon the immediate, although that planning will also include the possibility of having to change the plan.
Of course, all this presupposes that road users approach their task with a similar "professionalism" as those in the spheres mentioned and there's the problem.
It's just that those who decide seem to go for dealing with the least able and hindering the more able.
Not a way to improve standards, is it?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Ralge » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:33 am

Maybe the authorities have to consider the least able when placing limits, signage and road surfacing etc.
Maybe AD and advanced thinking should also consider the least able rather than have more than a hint of "why is driving dumbed down for all the muppets" arrogance.
In any case, AD doesn't guarantee a uniformly or consistently high standard of non-muppetry and the dumbed-down complaint is also made by plenty of self-confessed gods of driving (on other non-AD forums that i frequent) who have never been anywhere near AD.
So who can be the judge of who is qualified to choose their own (i'm far better than most of the others) limit?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Gareth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 am

Ralge wrote:Maybe the authorities have to consider the least able when placing limits, signage and road surfacing etc.
Maybe AD and advanced thinking should also consider the least able rather than have more than a hint of "why is driving dumbed down for all the muppets" arrogance.

Maybe the authorities should consider whether lowering the speed limit is a sensible reaction to an accident having taken place if any of the vehicles involved in that accident were going faster than the existing speed limit immediately prior to the accident.

Maybe the authorities should consider the numbers of people who use a road and compare that with the numbers of people who have accidents on that road, and whether lowering the speed limit is a proportionate response.
Last edited by Gareth on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am

Gareth wrote:
Ralge wrote:Maybe the authorities have to consider the least able when placing limits, signage and road surfacing etc.

Maybe the authorities should consider whether lowering the speed limit is a sensible reaction to an accident having taken place if any of the vehicles involved in that accident were going faster than the existing speed limit immediately prior to the accident.

Not to mention if the drivers were already driving outside of existing law (drunk/unlicensed/uninsured/drugged/stolen car/distracted by mobile phone) etc etc etc :roll:
jont

Postby GJD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Ralge wrote:Nor does anyone who thinks static posts/boards with pictures and numbers on are "mesmerising".

I imagine what he was getting at was not that the signs are mesmerising, but that the limits are.
GJD

Postby zadocbrown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

His view may be a little exaggerated but it is a welcome and much needed (in my opinion) antidote to equally extreme views in the other direction which seem to be advocated with few checks or balances...
zadocbrown

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum