Under pressure

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby roganjosh » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am

Felt very disappointed with myself a few weeks back, lovely sunny day driving in a built up area passing N/S junction and spot Mr. Beefcake driving his Troll Mobile, the kind of person whom grips a steering wheel like someone doing an impression of a giant ape, unable to give way for anything longer than five seconds is crawling over the give way, quick scan and I realise that I am going to take a lot of stick for adhering safely at 30mph, another quick glance and he's right up my Jacksie, parked vehicles N/S so even had I have wanted to pull in, it wasn't a possibility.

Road then narrows into a series of tight bends B road still at 30mph, then the limit raises to 40mph by this time I felt my driving was about as smooth as a Badger's behind,ugh, :( the nationals and in my opinion the next 100 yds is still a 30 as there's at least 4-5 really tight bends, I felt my system slip and I was being pushed..Luckily he overtook to which I slowed got in and let him get away.

How can I avoid this happening again?

One Deflated Rogan Josh coming right up :oops:
The better you look; the more you see.
roganjosh

Postby gannet » Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 am

truth is it's hard to 'avoid', but you just have to try to forget him while keeping an eye on him. There will always be people who do this, they think they are god's gift to driving and can do no wrong :(

Focus on your drive and try not to get sucked in.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby roganjosh » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

I adjusted my rear view mirror ever so slightly so I can glance at it more without it being angled directly at my eyes, He was just staring into the mirror and was using my driving as a kind of battering ram.
The better you look; the more you see.
roganjosh

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am

As gannet has said the only person driving your car should be you. Not the driver behind you.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jont » Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am

I sometimes feel like I want a bumper sticker "If you think I'm driving too slowly, complain to your council about the speed limit" :roll:
jont

Postby Standard Dave » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am

I back off a bit in the hope he will have a heart attack through rage :evil:
Standard Dave

Postby Kimosabe » Mon May 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Looks to me from what you've written, that you did all you could to drive safely and within the law. The thing is, that regardless of who ape-man would have eventually harassed, was he causing other road users to alter their behaviour? The answer is 'yes'.

However, what's important (and you're already looking at this yourself) is how you felt and responded at the time and now, after the event, how you are learning about controlling your reactions when this happens again. Only you can decide that. You know the answers you're looking for and you can work at driving to that standard when the need arises.

This example is one very good reason for having front and rear view cameras installed. Not only could you report the ape-man, you could also review the footage and observe your reactions. It's really interesting to do.

I believe the IAM has discounts available for members who buy dash cameras.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby MikeB » Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm

I know I shouldn't, but on the few occasions when I am closely tail gated I find I have an irresistible urge to clean my windscreen. This does the driver behind a huge favour because, in doing so, I find that I have 'accidentally' donated some of my screenwash. They then use their wipers a few seconds later and usually drop back.
MikeB Mid-Cheshire
MikeB

Postby Horse » Mon May 20, 2013 6:27 pm

MikeB wrote:I know I shouldn't, but on the few occasions when I am closely tail gated I find I have an irresistible urge to clean my windscreen.

Filly might have 'accidentally' done this when pizza delivery riders have been tailgating . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Mon May 20, 2013 8:14 pm

MikeB wrote:I know I shouldn't, but on the few occasions when I am closely tail gated I find I have an irresistible urge to clean my windscreen. This does the driver behind a huge favour because, in doing so, I find that I have 'accidentally' donated some of my screenwash. They then use their wipers a few seconds later and usually drop back.

I do the same in these circumstances, and I make sure that it's a good long wash. Wife and daughter tend to slow down a bit.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Hiijinx » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Before I learnt to drive I gave my friend one of these for his birthday .... :lol:

http://www.menkind.co.uk/gifts-gadgets- ... rd-p115309
Hiijinx

Postby zadocbrown » Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm

jont wrote:I sometimes feel like I want a bumper sticker "If you think I'm driving too slowly, complain to your council about the speed limit" :roll:

I like it :D

Could we have some of these printed along with the next batch of aduk stickers? :)
zadocbrown

Postby zadocbrown » Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm

roganjosh wrote:
How can I avoid this happening again?

Can you put your finger on exactly what caused your anxiety - if that's what you were experiencing?

Did you think he was going to rear-end you? Were you worried about getting into a road-rage situation? Did you feel personally bullied? Or was it a question of distraction?

Either way the solution is basically to ignore what is behind and drive as smoothly and safely as possible until an opportunity presents to get rid.
zadocbrown

Postby Hiijinx » Wed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm

A sensible post this time...

I recently went out with the same rospa examiner that I had on my test, for a half day of advanced driving. Within the first 20 minutes, before we even left the car park , I immediately felt an increased sense of calmness and security behind the wheel.

Just the wealth of knowledge of his many years of exemplary driving and police experience improved my mental state of mind about driving, in particular, tail-gaters.

He assured me that most drivers, do not actually think they are tailgating, instead just follow a 2 car length rule which is "plenty", in their minds. They also for the most part, are not wanting to overtake which is unfortunate for us I agree, but the fact remains most do not actually think they are being threatening. (with some exceptions ofcourse)

His advice? Slow down a few mph, braking if you feel hes not paying attention to notice you lift off, and will often find them relax as thet cannot be a$$ed to keep adjusting their speed.

Another tip, slow your gear changes by counting one, two and sustain in for a silky smooth finish to try keep your mind calm.

Also, its their license to lose :wink:

Hope this helps as much as it did me :D
Hiijinx

Postby Silk » Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Hiijinx wrote:Another tip, slow your gear changes by counting one, two and sustain in for a silky smooth finish to try keep your mind calm.

Indeed. None of that pointless double de-clutching nonsense. :P
Silk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum