Prestige Car Hire

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:17 pm

rlmr wrote:I certainly do not mean some namby pamby computer controlled car, I am talking about chassis and suspension design... something like a Super 7. A very good handling car, but one which requires to be driven and driven my a good driver to realise the car's full potential.

Or even an ordinary driver...can have some fun in one... :D

:shock:

Why hasn't The Senator had a mention yet...
7db

Postby rlmr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm

7db wrote:
rlmr wrote:...a Super 7. A very good handling car, but one which requires to be driven and driven by a good driver to realise the car's full potential.

Or even an ordinary driver...can have some fun in one... :D

I agree almost any driver, who enjoys driving, can have fun in a 7. I was just adding that a good driver will get more out of the 7 :wink:

7db wrote:Why hasn't The Senator had a mention yet...

OK the 3.0 24v Senator was a quick car, but it was certainly not as agile on the back roads :) . It could be quite perturbing to the first time driver as the full power kicked in quick briskly causing a few unintentional tail slides :roll:.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby crr003 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:46 pm

The Cadence Senator?
Nothing wrong with that that a bit of double de-clutching couldn't fix ..........(at my speeds.....) :oops:
crr003

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 pm

crr003 wrote:

The Cadence Senator?
Nothing wrong with that that a bit of double de-clutching couldn't fix ..........(at my speeds.....) :oops:

That's the fella. I couldn't find the gear-stick first time I went out in it, it's so big....
7db

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Unfortunately i haven't had a drive in said Senator yet, Hugh had only just aquired it when i was last there. Oh well i guess i'll sample it one day :)
Rick

Postby James » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:51 pm

rlmr Yes I think we have muddled up our definition of "Handling". Forgive me, my explanation of things when I type sometimes wanders from what I mean. For the purposes of this I mean "Handling" to be defined as "The correct and precise application of vehicle controls to enforce maximum performance without losing tyre adhesion or straining any vehicle part(s) to the point that it/they fail".

I simply mean that I would choose acceleration over handling because 1)I enjoy the thrill of acceleration more than G force in a bend (even if it is 1.7G in a Radical) and 2) I can sacrifice acceleration for optimum handling but I can't sacrifice handling for optimum acceleration.

By ths I mean I would rather have a powerful car that is harder to work round bends or other features than a perfectly balanced one that handles like a go-kart. This is because I am confident in my ability to be able to work in harmony with the car's charactristics, and enjoy the feeling of being in control of something that requires respect.
James

Postby James » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:54 pm

TAKEN FROM THE ONLINE CAMBRIDGE DICTIONARY:

Definition
<– Back to results

handle (OPERATE) Show phonetics
verb
1 [T] to operate or control something which could be difficult or dangerous:
Have you ever handled a gun before?

2 [I usually + adverb or preposition] If a car handles well, it is easy and pleasant to drive.

handling Show phonetics
noun [U]
how easy a vehicle is to control:
Power steering can dramatically improve a car's handling
James

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:45 pm

rlmr wrote:OK the 3.0 24v Senator was a quick car, but it was certainly not as agile on the back roads :) . It could be quite perturbing to the first time driver as the full power kicked in quick briskly causing a few unintentional tail slides :roll:.

Rennie

Unintentional.......................?
Intentional.........................Yep :D
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby rlmr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm

vonhosen wrote:
rlmr wrote:It could be quite perturbing to the first time driver as the full power kicked in quick briskly causing a few unintentional tail slides

Unintentional.......................?
Intentional.........................Yep :D

Agree that when you are driving and the tail is out, intentionally, under power = :D
However when you are passenger and the first time driver unintentionally unleashes the full power of the engine = :shock:

I enjoyed the old 3.0 l Senator it was a bit like the Rover SD1.... just power at whatever engine speed, but the 24v curved body model (like the Omega) was different. Suppose I was really just a BMW chap at heart and preferred my old 525i... though I did like the 325i and latterly the 530's :D

Rennie
rlmr

Postby PeteG » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:09 pm

I'm hearing a lot about this seemingly legendary Senator... whats with the reputation?

I must say, I've never had the pleasure, but the amount of discussion this one gets on here, I fancy a go... :)
PeteG

Postby James » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Never driven one either. I assume it is an unruly beast that unleashes roughly 210 BHP from a 3.0 24V pot onto tarmac at the touch of the throttle. Old Vauxhalls are legendary, I love them and always will. For years Vauxhall have been labelled as a cheap brand but finally we are seeing their potential with the new VXR range. (I know the Monaro is a Holden). Driver's car, nothing more, nothing less. Bet it sounds good too, a moist throbbing rasp?
James

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:48 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Never driven one either. I assume it is an unruly beast that unleashes roughly 210 BHP from a 3.0 24V pot onto tarmac at the touch of the throttle. Old Vauxhalls are legendary, I love them and always will. For years Vauxhall have been labelled as a cheap brand but finally we are seeing their potential with the new VXR range. (I know the Monaro is a Holden). Driver's car, nothing more, nothing less. Bet it sounds good too, a moist throbbing rasp?

Monaro was fun (sounds very very nice), but I wasn't that impressed with the VXR Vectra. Better than the Saab Aero though.

The old Senators & Omegas were great training cars, loads of fun off road too :twisted:
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby James » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:51 pm

I hear a yellow one lurks courtesy of Vauxall at P9. I also hear it was crashed by (**). Hopefully you get the drift of the brackets.

Saab Aero? I drove the new 2.8 V6 turbo recently. Thoughts? It was OK. That was it. Not as quick as I thought and handling compromised by front wheel drive. A lovely car but not an inspiration. Body shake came through aswell beyond 90mph.
James

Postby James » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:52 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Police_Driver wrote:Never driven one either. I assume it is an unruly beast that unleashes roughly 210 BHP from a 3.0 24V pot onto tarmac at the touch of the throttle. Old Vauxhalls are legendary, I love them and always will. For years Vauxhall have been labelled as a cheap brand but finally we are seeing their potential with the new VXR range. (I know the Monaro is a Holden). Driver's car, nothing more, nothing less. Bet it sounds good too, a moist throbbing rasp?

Monaro was fun (sounds very very nice), but I wasn't that impressed with the VXR Vectra. Better than the Saab Aero though.

The old Senators & Omegas were great training cars, loads of fun off road too :twisted:

Just re read the post! I meant I bet the Senator sounds fun. I have had the privelage of a 6.0 V8 Monaro in South London and down the A3 to Cobham and back!
James

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:57 pm

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine had a Vauxhall Royale (Coupe version of the mk1 Senator) and complained about the fuel consumption. He took it to a tuning company where they put it on a rolling road and set it up for him, then he moaned 'coz it used even more fuel. :lol:

Sometime later he started messing with the carburettor (remember them) and could'nt get it to start. I had a look and the float chamber was empty so I told him to get some fuel from his petrol mower. After we topped the chamber up it fired straight away, but it was like pulling the plug out of the bath the way it gurgled away. :lol: :lol:

Previously he had a Wolsey 1800 (LandCrab) which he traded in for the Royale. A year or so later his new car needed some rear brake pads. On the shelf in his garage he had a box of front pads for the Wolsey so of he went to the Motor Parts Supplier and asked if he could have a refund. They gave him £5 back. He then asked for a set of rear pads for the Royale. Off toddled the parts man to the back room and came back with the required items, my mate took one look at the box and said they are the ones he had just had a refund on. "Yes Sir" they are the ones you need" and charged him about £25. :lol: :lol: :lol: True

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum