Judges ruling on rear end collisions..

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 am

Many moons ago I was in possessions of a newspaper cutting of a judges ruling.
The ruling exploded the myth that whenever there is a rear end collision the vehicle at fault was the one doing the ramming.
It's not that I need it to prove a case more that I am annoyed to have mislaid it.
Does any member know of this ruling or have a copy of the judgement.
I'd be mightily obliged for any assistance.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 pm

sussex2 wrote:Many moons ago I was in possessions of a newspaper cutting of a judges ruling.
The ruling exploded the myth that whenever there is a rear end collision the vehicle at fault was the one doing the ramming.
It's not that I need it to prove a case more that I am annoyed to have mislaid it.

Sorry, I can't help you regarding the report of the judge's ruling, but my understanding is that in almost all cases of nose/tail shunts, the rearmost driver will generally be deemed to bear responsibility. Possible exceptions to this principle are where the leading driver suddenly performs an emergency stop, or applies very heavy braking for no apparent reason, and in these cases the following driver might not be held to be solely responsible. We are expected to maintain a safe following distances that will enable us to cope with whatever the guy in front does.

That's my understanding of the situation.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 pm

TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Many moons ago I was in possessions of a newspaper cutting of a judges ruling.

Sorry, I can't help you regarding the report of the judge's ruling, but my understanding is that in almost all cases of nose/tail shunts, the rearmost driver will generally be deemed to bear responsibility. Possible exceptions to this principle are where the leading driver suddenly performs an emergency stop, or applies very heavy braking for no apparent reason, and in these cases the following driver might not be held to be solely responsible. We are expected to maintain a safe following distances that will enable us to cope with whatever the guy in front does.

That's my understanding of the situation.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Which is pretty much what the judges ruling said.
However given that there is a general opinion that it is always the following drivers fault it is handy to have the reference.
An example of this may be deliberate cutting in to force a collision and make a fraudulent claim.
I keep a file of such things as you never know when they may be handy but trust me I take every precaution not to need it :wink:
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby MGF » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:13 pm

sussex2 wrote:...
However given that there is a general opinion that it is always the following drivers fault it is handy to have the reference.
An example of this may be deliberate cutting in to force a collision and make a fraudulent claim.
I keep a file of such things as you never know when they may be handy but trust me I take every precaution not to need it :wink:

In that example you are better served by witness evidence than newspaper cuttings. Dave's summary is, broadly, an accurate summary of the law.
MGF

Postby PeterE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:10 pm

In this case, a motorist was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving by abruptly slowing to 10 mph on the M65 and causing a following motorcyclist to collide with his car.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Some of the comments at the foot of the Mail on lines article beggar belief. If the car driver had moved into the nearside lane in front of the motorcyclist to exit the motorway and then braked suddenly, he is guilty of dangerous driving. IMO it should not be presumed that the driver who rear ends the vehicle in front is always guilty. A candidate on a driving test would be failed if they just braked when the traffic lights in front changed to amber without taking effective rear observation before braking.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Action and reaction which is particularly pertinent in any form of transport.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:45 pm

fungus wrote:Some of the comments at the foot of the Mail on lines article beggar belief. If the car driver had moved into the nearside lane in front of the motorcyclist to exit the motorway and then braked suddenly, he is guilty of dangerous driving. IMO it should not be presumed that the driver who rear ends the vehicle in front is always guilty. A candidate on a driving test would be failed if they just braked when the traffic lights in front changed to amber without taking effective rear observation before braking.

I agree.
The decision about what do do if the lights change is made before they change.
sussex2

Postby Lingo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi,

I've put a link below to an article which refers to a case in the Court of Appeal in 2011 determining liability following a rear-end shunt. (There are some other driving-related cases too.)

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/driving ... 72.article

Of course, every case depends on its own set of circumstances but hope that is of interest.
IAM F1RST award.
---
Keep it smooth. Keep it stable.
Lingo

Postby trashbat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 pm

TripleS wrote:Sorry, I can't help you regarding the report of the judge's ruling, but my understanding is that in almost all cases of nose/tail shunts, the rearmost driver will generally be deemed to bear responsibility.

Presumably this applies only to 'continuous follow' driving. Otherwise, what happens if someone pulls out of a junction, turns 90 degrees and makes it only far enough to bare their arse before being hit in it?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TripleS » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 am

trashbat wrote:
TripleS wrote:Sorry, I can't help you regarding the report of the judge's ruling, but my understanding is that in almost all cases of nose/tail shunts, the rearmost driver will generally be deemed to bear responsibility.

Presumably this applies only to 'continuous follow' driving. Otherwise, what happens if someone pulls out of a junction, turns 90 degrees and makes it only far enough to bare their arse before being hit in it?

In that case I expect the one who emerged from the junction would be judged to bear a considerable part of the responsibility.
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 am

Lingo wrote:Hi,

I've put a link below to an article which refers to a case in the Court of Appeal in 2011 determining liability following a rear-end shunt. (There are some other driving-related cases too.)

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/driving ... 72.article

Of course, every case depends on its own set of circumstances but hope that is of interest.

That is pretty much what my lost cutting said and yes it does depend on circumstance.
If I track it down I'll post the contents.
Many thanks
sussex2

Postby Silk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm

fungus wrote:Some of the comments at the foot of the Mail on lines article beggar belief.

Which ones are you referring to? The ones that state that the motorcyclist should have left a larger gap?

Although I agree that the car driver should have been aware of the potential consequences of doing something unexpected, he seems to have fallen foul of a kind of political correctness that, for some unexplained reason, puts bikers ahead of car drivers when it comes to claiming the moral high-ground.
Silk

Postby fungus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Silk wrote:Which ones are you referring to? The ones that state that the motorcyclist should have left a larger gap?

Yes. My understanding is that the car driver cut into the motorcyclists gap and then braked suddenly. If that's the case, then the motorcyclist had very little chance.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Silk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

fungus wrote:
Silk wrote:Which ones are you referring to? The ones that state that the motorcyclist should have left a larger gap?

Yes. My understanding is that the car driver cut into the motorcyclists gap and then braked suddenly. If that's the case, then the motorcyclist had very little chance.

If that's the case, then it's not really a rear-end collision. At least, not in the way most people would understand it.
Silk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum