Never drive in Russia

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby stefan einz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I came across this on YouTube earlier.

It is staggering stuff, absolutely staggering. And pretty scary (warning: do not watch if you don't want to see some fairly nasty crashes. I suspect people were injured in some of the clips, although nothing is shown.)

No doubt a combination of poor (no) driving training, poor road traffic laws, poor attitude, poor road layouts and perhaps above all an extraordinary lack of imagination on the part of some of the drivers in terms of the risks they are taking.

I will never drive in Russia. And when I visit Moscow later this year for work, I will take the train!

stefan einz

Postby martine » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 pm

stefan einz wrote:No doubt a combination of poor (no) driving training, poor road traffic laws, poor attitude, poor road layouts and perhaps above all an extraordinary lack of imagination on the part of some of the drivers in terms of the risks they are taking.

And plenty of Vodka I suspect. There are many such videos on youtube of 'crazy Russian' drivers - as you say, horrendous stuff.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Custom24 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 pm

And the video didn't even contain any footage of that rather attractive lady rooting around in the footwell of her car.

Anyway...

Russia seems pretty middling as far as world fatality rates go, although by any measure a lot higher than the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

The reason there are so many such videos on YT is apparently because everyone* in Russia has an in car camera for insurance purposes.

*Probably not everyone, but a much higher proportion than the UK.
Custom24

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Their gritting technique is entertaining . . . unless you're a pedestrian as they pass!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBiNWIEEpM[/youtube]
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Ancient » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:53 pm

I've seen it done that way in UK (some years back mind).
Ancient

Postby Ralge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:06 pm

I had a pupil two years ago who had spent a lot of time with oil-company parents in Moscow.
They lived in an ex-pat compound and the oil company supplied Muscovite chauffeurs for ALL their transport needs.
Going out, shopping was rigidly planned with no room for staying for 5-minutes more etc.
The logic behind this was very clear - have a bump in Moscow and without Moscow-born Russian you need deep pockets to pay off whoever fancies a pay-day and ending up in a police station would see you pay still more to the head cheese there.
Scary place, by all accounts.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby michael769 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

It is no coincidence that Russia (along with the Ukraine) is the biggest market for dash cams. I have heard that close to 2/3 of vehicles now have one fitted over there.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to General Car Chat Forum