Traffic light Information system

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby daz6215 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 am

For the driver who doesn't look far enough ahead?

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/audi/a4/c ... sist/17516
daz6215

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 am

Yet another excuse for Audi drivers not to look where they are going. :roll:
exportmanuk

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:38 am

What will they think of next?
Nigel

Postby jont » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am

"calculates the speed required to ensure the car arrives during the green phase." I wonder if that will have an upper limit on it. There seem to be a few sections of Bristol ringroad that would time nicely if you did about 70mph between the roundabouts. Unfortunately TPTB have changed the limits to 50 but not retimed the lights :roll:
jont

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 am

jont wrote:"calculates the speed required to ensure the car arrives during the green phase." I wonder if that will have an upper limit on it. There seem to be a few sections of Bristol ringroad that would time nicely if you did about 70mph between the roundabouts. Unfortunately TPTB have changed the limits to 50 but not retimed the lights :roll:

Hmmm . . . presumably there will always be a 'higher' and a 'lower' speed alternative? So will it always default to the lower? Perhaps GPS-linked to know the speed limit.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jont » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Horse wrote:
jont wrote:"calculates the speed required to ensure the car arrives during the green phase." I wonder if that will have an upper limit on it. There seem to be a few sections of Bristol ringroad that would time nicely if you did about 70mph between the roundabouts. Unfortunately TPTB have changed the limits to 50 but not retimed the lights :roll:

Hmmm . . . presumably there will always be a 'higher' and a 'lower' speed alternative? So will it always default to the lower? Perhaps GPS-linked to know the speed limit.

But lower might often be sufficiently low that following traffic gets irate for the apparent lack of progress. I see drivers behind me getting wound up when I'm gently rolling into a light that's obviously visible as red. Imagine if you start doing that for lights you can't yet see.
jont

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 pm

So the driver sees the red light warning on his dash and is watching the indicator to make sure he arrives at green whist running up the back of a stationary vehicle, or its got brake assist too so he buts the steering wheel as the car performs an aggressive stop. :D

More of a risk I think is they are watching this display and run into someone crossing or something as they have been approaching slowly and another mentally deficient human has decided they can cross the road just as the lights change and the driver hits the gas before looking if the junction is clear.

In a fully automated vehicle then maybe but put a human in control and it will end in tears. :cry:
exportmanuk

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

chriskay wrote:Reminds me a bit of the old A4 through Slough in the 1960's. Industrial estates everywhere, many traffic lights but they were synchronised so that if you drove at 30mph you would catch them all at green. Wouldn't work now; too much congestion.

In Spain if you exceed 50kph entering a village the lights will automatically turn red. I wonder how that would work if Audi go ahead with this?
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Some cars now have sign recognition equipment which reminds the driver of such things as speed limits. I've been told that UK signs don't comply with the technology that allows this and that it is more usual on the mainland.
I've never driven such car and generally rely on MK1 Noddle technology and it hasn't done too badly - so far :D
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby jont » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 pm

sussex2 wrote:Some cars now have sign recognition equipment which reminds the driver of such things as speed limits. I've been told that UK signs don't comply with the technology that allows this and that it is more usual on the mainland.
I've never driven such car and generally rely on MK1 Noddle technology and it hasn't done too badly - so far :D

It would help if authorities complied with requirements such as keeping signs visible and not hidden inside hedges :roll:
jont

Return to General Car Chat Forum