Darwin Award Driving on the M6

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Alternative title: What would you have done differently?

I was driving home from dropping family off at Manchester Airport on Saturday morning (in my wife's car - mine wouldn't take the luggage). We were on a four-lane stretch of the M6 northbound. It was raining, but I deemed it safe to do 70. I was in lane two when a sports car (didn't see make and model) hurtled past me in lane three (estimated speed 100). When he was approximately 100 yards in front of me I saw his rear wheels sliding from side to side. I started to brake - firmly enough to give him plenty of space (no way of knowing where he was going to end up) but not firmly enough to end up in the same mess he was in.

He slid into lane four, hit the central crash barrier, and slid across all four lanes before reaching the hard shoulder. When he slid across lane two - front of the car facing the centre of the carriageway, driver side facing our car - he was no more than six feet in front of us. I braked a little more to give myself a little more leeway and concentrated my eyes on the front of his car and the line that separated lanes one and two. As soon as his car was fully in lane one I put my foot down in case someone in lane one hit him and pushed him back into lane two.

Once I was clear of danger I checked my mirror and saw a driver in lane two flashing his headlights to tell someone in lane one that he was letting him out (just as well!).

It was very unnerving and I think the way I planned for the situation helped to ensure that I, my wife, and her car escaped unscathed. But there's always the element of "Could/should I have done something different?". The first thing that occurred to me was that maybe I should have put hazard warning lights on to let traffic behind know there was a problem, but I dismissed that: I think drivers might have looked at our car to see why I had those lights on and missed "the big picture".

Interestingly enough, for the rest of the time we were on the M6 (2 - 3 miles) not one vehicle overtook us, despite there being plenty behind. Perhaps some people learned from that driver's mistake. It would be nice to think he did.

We drove on the same stretch on Sunday evening and I was half expecting to see one of those signs "Accident here. Witnesses wanted". Shame there wasn't. I'm convinced the driver will have told his insurance company he was doing 60 - 65 when "the rain caused a skid".
onlinegenie

Postby Angus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Rather than ask what you could have done differently, consider what you did do. How long did the incident take? A couple of seconds?

The additional training I assume you've had kicked in and YOU AVOIDED BECOMING INVOLVED! Little else matters.

Hazard lights? Really? You wanted to take a hand off the wheel?
Angus

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Angus - reassuring that someone here thinks I acted correctly. No, I didn't want to take a hand off the wheel! The thought of hazard warning lights only occurred to me later, but I almost immediately discarded the idea for the reason I've already given - but taking a hand off the wheel is definitely another consideration. And I was so focussed on what was happening in front of me that I didn't check the mirror either.
onlinegenie

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Sounds pretty scary, and you have described it very calmly. I'm a little confused by "he was no more than 6 feet in front of us" in conjunction with "I braked a little more" - were you really so calm that you weren't braking as hard as you could, by that time? 6 feet is only a second away at FOUR MILES AN HOUR. You don't say how much you'd slowed down, but I'd be surprised if you had much reaction time left if he was that close.

Anyway, well done. No, you shouldn't have done anything differently. As Angus said, you stayed out of the way. Objective accomplished!
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 pm

onlinegenie wrote:Thanks Angus - reassuring that someone here thinks I acted correctly. No, I didn't want to take a hand off the wheel! The thought of hazard warning lights only occurred to me later, but I almost immediately discarded the idea for the reason I've already given - but taking a hand off the wheel is definitely another consideration. And I was so focussed on what was happening in front of me that I didn't check the mirror either.

Though it was distressing you preserved yourself and may have done the same with others.
You achieved in a very short space of time what you set out to do; what the intention of your more aware and professional driving is.
I wouldn't concern yourself with what you might have done differently but it is good you do think that way.

As for hazard lights few people in the UK use them when forced to slow down swiftly and it doesn't by and large seem part of their repertoire. It also takes time especially if you have to seek out the button.

Wider field of vision - clearer field of fire.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks Nick.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me when I think of it as six feet away - my wife said that time seemed to stand still, so clearly it was a traumatic experience and it's possible he was further away (although it's worth pointing out that he was still moving very quickly and didn't take long to cross lane two!).

I really can't think of anything I could have done better, but I never like to rest on my laurels as far as driving (and therefore my life) is concerned. As the IAM always used to say, if they ever find the perfect driver they're going to have him stuffed and put in a glass case.
onlinegenie

Postby martine » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Well done.

Did you consider stopping to act as a witness?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Custom24 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 pm

martine wrote:Well done.

It's difficult to stop when you are so close to the vehicle which has crashed. By the time you are over the shock, you are likely a long way away. I think the OP did the correct thing by continuing on. However, I would have had my wife phone the police or pulled over at the next services.
Custom24

Postby Custom24 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:6 feet is only a second away at FOUR MILES AN HOUR.!

The crashed vehicle still likely had a large velocity component in the initial direction of travel before the impact.
Custom24

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Custom24 wrote:The crashed vehicle still likely had a large velocity component in the initial direction of travel before the impact.

Yep. Still very very close though.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 am

martine wrote:Well done.

I checked my mirror and saw that the vehicle behind me in lane one had managed to avoid hitting the stray car, so I didn't think witnesses would be needed. Also, I knew that we would be on that stretch again the next day and I kept my eyes open for one of those signs asking for witnesses to an accident.

After I had got out of the way I was some way in front of the scene and deemed it unsafe to pull over to the hard shoulder and reverse/walk back to the scene. The motorway was surprisingly busy for the time of day.

The suggestion of alerting the police is a good one, although I doubt they would have been interested. As far as I could tell, no one was injured - which probably qualifies as a miracle!
onlinegenie

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Custom24 wrote:The crashed vehicle still likely had a large velocity component in the initial direction of travel before the impact.

Yep. Still very very close though.

Yes - as I said earlier it's possible my memory is playing tricks on me and he seemed closer than he actually was. It's also worth mentioning that I cannot realistically estimate what speed I was doing at this point - I braked firmly as soon as I saw his wheels slide and did not take my eyes off the scene in front for even a fraction of a second. By the time he crossed lane two I was going slowly enough to remain calm and plan my escape.
onlinegenie

Postby jont » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 am

onlinegenie wrote:I braked firmly as soon as I saw his wheels slide and did not take my eyes off the scene in front for even a fraction of a second. By the time he crossed lane two I was going slowly enough to remain calm and plan my escape.

Possibly reading too much into what you've written, but the only danger here is target fixation - ie by focussing on the car that's causing the danger, rather than the gap that allows you to escape it, you unintentionally end up aiming at the hazard. Similar to when you are skidding - look up the road where you want the car to go, not at the tree you're worried about hitting.
jont

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 am

jont wrote:
onlinegenie wrote:I braked firmly as soon as I saw his wheels slide and did not take my eyes off the scene in front for even a fraction of a second. By the time he crossed lane two I was going slowly enough to remain calm and plan my escape.

Possibly reading too much into what you've written, but the only danger here is target fixation - ie by focussing on the car that's causing the danger, rather than the gap that allows you to escape it, you unintentionally end up aiming at the hazard. Similar to when you are skidding - look up the road where you want the car to go, not at the tree you're worried about hitting.

Ok I'll clarify :)

I focussed on the scene ahead of me - all four lanes - so I could see where the stray car was going and plan my escape without adversely affecting any other drivers/vehicles.
onlinegenie

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 am

You planned your escape and that is what it is all about - well done.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Return to General Car Chat Forum