bicycling

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby arboressence » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

I ride my bicycle on the road because I like it, it saves me money,it helps my health and it produces no exhausts.So why are so many other road users so anti-social.They come very close to me,behind as well as the side,turn left immediately in front of me,squeeze past when it is silly to do so and brake hard soon after overtaking me.
arboressence

Postby 7db » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:58 pm

I produce a lot of exhaust when I cycle and stopped doing it in town for the sake of my health: way too much bad driving to pedal in London traffic.
7db

Postby revian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Some of the same poor driving affects us occasional caravan towers... It can get a bit embarrassing for them when they work out I am out accelerating them... :D
Wirral
revian

Postby Ancient » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:28 pm

7db wrote:I produce a lot of exhaust when I cycle and stopped doing it in town for the sake of my health: way too much bad driving to pedal in London traffic.

True there's way too much bad driving in London (and elsewhere, e.g. Southampton :evil: ), but that's a measure of how the justice system allows bad drivers to 'get away' with repeated bad driving: Enough tolerance of low-level bad driving and ignoring the Highway Code (as documented in the OP) sets a low level of driving generally which result in the situation where killing someone by bad driving does not fall significantly below the level of the majority of drivers.

Don't despair though, it is still healthier to cycle than not - even in London:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... r-cyclists
Ancient

Postby michael769 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:38 pm

I don't think it is fundamentally any different for folks in cars, pretty much all you describe can be seen by car drivers too. It is exacerbated by the larger speed differential and narrowness of a bike that facilitates such bade behaviors to a greater degree. Even pedestrians display boorish behaviors to fellow pedestrians, and this week I have witnessed several near misses where pedestrians have basically walked into the path of cyclists.

The main difference is that you feel more vulnerable on a cycle and so such behaviors are more disconcerting when you are not protected by your nice steel and glass cage.

The real problem is that we are unable to get on with our fellow man when moving about regardless of the mode used.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh good grief, all we all doomed to lives of inescapable conflict? Are we bollox! Get a grip, guys.

Have a go at trying to share things fairly with others instead of moaning: you might find it helps.
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 pm

arboressence wrote:I ride my bicycle on the road because I like it, it saves me money,it helps my health and it produces no exhausts.So why are so many other road users so anti-social.They come very close to me,behind as well as the side,turn left immediately in front of me,squeeze past when it is silly to do so and brake hard soon after overtaking me.

'squeeze past when it is silly to do so and brake hard soon after overtaking me'

Are you sure you are producing no exhaust :wink:
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 pm

TripleS wrote:Oh good grief, all we all doomed to lives of inescapable conflict? Are we bollox! Get a grip, guys.

Have a go at trying to share things fairly with others instead of moaning: you might find it helps.

The british are obsessed with triviality my friend.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:34 pm

sussex2 wrote:
TripleS wrote:Oh good grief, all we all doomed to lives of inescapable conflict? Are we bollox! Get a grip, guys.

The British are obsessed with triviality my friend.

Oh. Well maybe we have things to learn from furriners after all. :)
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:49 am

TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:

The British are obsessed with triviality my friend.

Oh. Well maybe we have things to learn from furriners after all. :)

I wouldn't go that far :wink:
sussex2

Postby PeterE » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Of course cyclists are noted for their scrupulous adherence to the Highway Code :roll:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby gannet » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 pm

PeterE wrote:Of course cyclists are noted for their scrupulous adherence to the Highway Code :roll:

Just as not every river adheres to the highway code, not every cyclist does... There are some however that do adhere ;) I would happily share my camera footage if you don't believe...

As for cycling in London - really don't see an issue, but then I'm used to it as I do it every weekday. You just have to be assertive and have eyes everywhere 8) oh and being quicker than the cars 80% (made up statistic) of the time helps ;)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:26 pm

arboressence wrote:I ride my bicycle on the road because I like it, it saves me money,it helps my health and it produces no exhausts.So why are so many other road users so anti-social.They come very close to me,behind as well as the side,turn left immediately in front of me,squeeze past when it is silly to do so and brake hard soon after overtaking me.

As they say, "top lurking", however, I doubt there are any members here who, when driving, display the atitudes towards cyclists you describe.
I don't.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby sussex2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

As they say, "top lurking", however, I doubt there are any members here who, when driving, display the atitudes towards cyclists you describe.
I don't.

'They come very close to me,behind as well as the side,turn left immediately in front of me,squeeze past when it is silly to do so and brake hard soon after' - and generally with no warning such as a bell. I've noticed that often with cyclists when I'm walking :wink:

And I agree that there would be any members here who would drive or indeed ride in such a manner.
The clue is in the name of the forum really.
sussex2

Return to General Car Chat Forum