Brian Hampton sentence appeal

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm

GJD wrote:
MGF wrote:The petition is misconceived and, for me, more troubling than the sentence.

Good gracious! I agree with MGF. Will wonders never cease! :)

I find myself also agreeing. Sentencing guidlines for judges are laid down. For the Attorny General go to a court of appeal for an unduly lenient sentence he would need to show how these guidelines were not followed.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 pm

faret wrote:I thing that "drunk driving" should be punished like premeditated murder.

Manslaughter could be nearer the mark. I do not condone "drunk driving", but it's certainly not akin to premeditated murder.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 am

TripleS wrote:
faret wrote:I thing that "drunk driving" should be punished like premeditated murder.

Manslaughter could be nearer the mark. I do not condone "drunk driving", but it's certainly not akin to premeditated murder.

As an interesting comparison, the person who deliberately sets fire to a house, reckless as to whether there is anyone inside, is not punished like someone guilty of premeditated murder if it turns out that there wasn't anyone inside. Personally, I don't think drunk driving is as serious an offence as deliberately setting fire to a house.
waremark

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum