What frightens new Members away?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:42 am

Something I've noticed about this 'site, people sign up but most don't join in. A few do, for a time, but then seem to disappear.
Is it too "geeky"?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby michael769 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Something I've noticed about this 'site, people sign up but most don't join in. A few do, for a time, but then seem to disappear.
Is it too "geeky"?

Most forums see the same phenomena. I think people are often reticent about jumping into an already established group, and some internet forums can be rather hostile to new members and this teaches folks to be wary generally. In the early days of the internet and usenet especially it was considered good manners to lurk for a time before jumping in, but in that period may folks lose interest/forget their login.

For some they will have been led here by searches for unrelated motoring issues, only to quickly discover that we are not the place to find what they are looking for (cf the odd "I'm getting done by the polis how can I get off" threads we see).

Do we have any reason to believe it is any worse than other forums here?

But FWIW, most of the discussions we have are somewhat "theoretical" and must be quite impenetrable for someone who has probably never even heard of Roadcraft/HTBABD let alone read it.

It may also be that the typical driver simply does not relate to the AD message at all.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Carbon Based » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am

I'm guessing that observation could be of someone like me. Yes, I'm happier to lurk than post prolifically - that doesn't mean I've been frightened away. Some of that is "just me", but it is also a reflection of where I'm at within this AD thing.

WhoseGeneration wrote:Is it too "geeky"?

Well... only insofar as many of the threads are at a level that they are either adding new concepts entirely or at least adding nuances to techniques I've only just been introduced to. There are some graphs around here somewhere that took things to a level I really wasn't expecting, but in a good way.

So my current situation is that I'm fascinated by what goes on here.

Just before taking my IAMSFL test I chatted within the group about how I've gained more areas to work on with my driving than when I started a few months earlier. Stage 2 of learning personified!

Having passed that test, I feel the biggest gain for me is not so much that my driving has improved (although it undoubtedly has) but I now have a plan for what to improve next, and to practice what has been learned already.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you in Shropshire and will likely post a bit more after that.

Hope that helps.
Carbon Based

Postby sussex2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 am

Softly softly does it and it is a good idea to practice perhaps one thing for a few days at a time; better observation or following distances perhaps.
Don't try to do it all at once and in the end all the holes in the cheese will align.
On topic I think that the very term advanced may put people off. Or, maybe some will have watched programmes such as 'Police camera action' and assume it is all about that; rather than as I understand it as a plan and system for a journey.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Custom24 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing, but some of the other fora I frequent don't just talk about the core subject matter, but also have threads running about all sorts of other things. Jokes, games, politics...

Here, we are a little dry by comparison (understatement). I'm not sure why, just a different culture, I suppose.

I doubt if our moderators would welcome an increased workload.
Custom24

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm

The atmosphere here may be a bit more highbrow than some other sites, but I think that reflects aduk's position in the 'market' as a place for the genuinely interested rather than people who have no life in real life. I think it's a good place to be!

I do direct associates to this site as there is a lot of good information on the shelf (maybe that's what people come here for) and one can be reasonably sure of a helpful response to any questions asked. The same can't always be said for other sites, and personally I hate having to wade through pages of tom-foolery....

I think aduk does pretty well for uptake compared to the IAM's own forum, and is much more civilised than you know what......
zadocbrown

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

As for me, I read most bits, post infrequently. I do sometimes become tired of the same threads circling and try to introduce some new topics or take a different view on common themes. I'm not naturally a person to jump into arguments and, on some occasions, if I'm catching up with a particularly long and popular topic anything I might add is too late as either the discussion has moved on or someone else has got in there first.

I don't know how to attract new members (my best attempt was the now out of date post relating to subsidised training) or how to keep existing ones. Maybe some sort of stats showing activity over the last 24-hours or some other period might show people that it isn't all that inert, but I suppose it might also show the opposite! This still remains probably my most frequently visited forum though.

One final point - I find the rest of the site pretty limited and dated in terms of content so its not a great advert for the forum.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby revian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Is it too "geeky"?

I dont think (generally) it is. OK... Stressed Dave's graphs can be a challenge :roll: but that's me rusting up a bit...

The title sets the bar where the originator wants it to be (Advanced Driving) so some folks are going to find that it's not them (after a look) and pull back... that's life and special interest groups.

As a new member myself:

...there's that hesitancy... am I totally out of my depth? Do these people all drive like Nigel Mansell? :lol: and that I'm going to find it difficult to really join in 'on the road' because of my life/diary. (and maybe that's what a real member does?)

... there's an awareness that some folks do really know each other (not merely web-friends) and you might be intruding.

... I have found things of interest and education. I know for some of you some threads repeat endlessly... (and boringly?) ... but this is always going to be the case for a group which is adding to its numbers or with a turnover of members. Going round the loop catches them up. I guess that might be a major reason for its existence?

Does anything put me off? The occasional spat which seems aggressive rather than creative.

In all... thanks for the Forum and for dealing me in.
Wirral
revian

Postby hanse cronje » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:52 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Something I've noticed about this 'site, people sign up but most don't join in. A few do, for a time, but then seem to disappear.
Is it too "geeky"?

Appear to be clique and anal.

just look at some of the posts 15/16/18 pages long that just end up being very cliquey.

just get out and do it !!

oh and i am member of that car club as well as the IAM a better driver club so i have a real interest in driving/motorcycling and this site puts me off from often contributing :roll:
hanse cronje

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm

hanse cronje wrote:
Is it too "geeky"?

Appear to be clique and anal.

just look at some of the posts 15/16/18 pages long that just end up being very cliquey.

just get out and do it !!

oh and i am member of that car club as well as the IAM a better driver club so i have a real interest in driving/motorcycling and this site puts me off from often contributing :roll:

To be fair, if the answer to every thread was 'just go out and do it' it wouldn't be much of a forum would it?

In any case, I think one of the 'USPs' of aduk is that subsequent to having a detailed debate on the site one can in many cases 'go out and do it' with the people you have been talking to. Pretty good I think.
zadocbrown

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

As a relatively new member I'm pleased to say I've never found it cliquey - even the lengthy threads (which can become tedious, but I still wouldn't call them cliquey). And one thing that has pleased me about this forum is that people tend to disagree politely - other driving forums should take note!
onlinegenie

Postby martine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

onlinegenie wrote:As a relatively new member I'm pleased to say I've never found it cliquey - even the lengthy threads (which can become tedious, but I still wouldn't call them cliquey). And one thing that has pleased me about this forum is that people tend to disagree politely - other driving forums should take note!

I like to think that's what we're all about...friendly, sometimes in depth discussion of all things driving - but I do know we don't always abide by this. :oops:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby revian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 am

martine wrote:
onlinegenie wrote:As a relatively new member I'm pleased to say I've never found it cliquey - even the lengthy threads (which can become tedious, but I still wouldn't call them cliquey). And one thing that has pleased me about this forum is that people tend to disagree politely - other driving forums should take note!

I like to think that's what we're all about...friendly, sometimes in depth discussion of all things driving - but I do know we don't always abide by this. :oops:

What's your steer on this? :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 pm

revian wrote:
martine wrote:

What's your steer on this? :wink:

We need a fixed grip on people who disagree impolitely. Pull them to one side and push them off the board.
onlinegenie

Postby PeterE » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:53 pm

michael769 wrote:But FWIW, most of the discussions we have are somewhat "theoretical" and must be quite impenetrable for someone who has probably never even heard of Roadcraft/HTBABD let alone read it.

Yes, a lot of it does come across as quite highbrow. Maybe that's inevitable, but it must put a lot of people off.

I would also say this forum has, in general, a rather earnest tone and there is very little of the leavening of humour and lightheartedness that you often find in other forums.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum