Excellent IAM video

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 pm

What do people think?

Would a car one need to be tweaked?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby skodatezzer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Yeah, not bad at all - good old Auntie IAM -even mentioned enjoyment! I'm sure something similar could be done for those on 4 wheels. Question is, how do we get Joe Public to view it?
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm

This as posted to Youtube 12 months ago yet have only just got 2200 views to date.

But then again I have not seen anything circulated from Chiswick to say it is there they are just replying on people to find it. I cant see they have even posted it on their facebook page.

Good money wasted by poor communication. ( Nothing new their then )
exportmanuk

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Quite good could work well if marketed wright
Nigel

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:08 pm

exportmanuk wrote:This as posted to Youtube 12 months ago yet have only just got 2200 views to date.

But then again I have not seen anything circulated from Chiswick to say it is there they are just replying on people to find it. I cant see they have even posted it on their facebook page.

Good money wasted by poor communication. ( Nothing new their then )

TBH, I got bored and gave up. I wonder how many of those actually watched it all the way through?

I gave up after being told that one of the benefits is learning to use the mirrors.

Really? ??? Is that a top selling point for AD?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Rather than have so much talking, it would be better if the key aspects of AD were to be set out, followed by some simple demonstrations of the principles being applied.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:11 pm

TripleS wrote:Rather than have so much talking, it would be better if the key aspects of AD were to be set out, followed by some simple demonstrations of the principles being applied.

I would say it is pretty difficult, not to say impossible, to make a short video which does that in a way which is a turn on not a turn off. What would you show?

I thought this was a brilliant video - just add a caption along the lines of 'Be ready for every hazard without needing the signs':

http://think.direct.gov.uk/video-motorc ... t-day.html
waremark

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:Rather than have so much talking, it would be better if the key aspects of AD were to be set out, followed by some simple demonstrations of the principles being applied.

I would say it is pretty difficult, not to say impossible, to make a short video which does that in a way which is a turn on not a turn off. What would you show?

I thought this was a brilliant video - just add a caption along the lines of 'Be ready for every hazard without needing the signs':

There's an NZ version out recently, which is the 'plus' edition, I'll add a link tomorrow.

Possibly the best advert for thinking rider I've ever seen was a Honda MAC promo from about 1998, where a riding view freeze-framed, had hazards highlighted, a route (overtake, tuck back to line for bend) then video run as manoeuvre executed.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh dear! :(

Mrs C-W found it irritating. I just found it all very earnest. I had no idea who Simon Best was - I thought the guy was probably a dentist or something.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Oh dear! :(

Mrs C-W found it irritating. I just found it all very earnest. I had no idea who Simon Best was - I thought the guy was probably a dentist or something.

Haha...I'll tell him next time we meet...could be worse I suppose.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 am

It looked like a "Government information" advert. The participants could have been actors for all I know.

How about this, they all ride into the carpark of the Ace Cafe, on a wde range of 'bikes, walk in, removing helmets so we can see the variety of riders.

We then see them seated at a table with breakfast and a mug, talk is then about what each has gained from an IAM course.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm

waremark wrote:I thought this was a brilliant video - just add a caption along the lines of 'Be ready for every hazard without needing the signs':

Original

New NZ
Horse

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:45 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:It looked like a "Government information" advert. The participants could have been actors for all I know.

How about this, they all ride into the carpark of the Ace Cafe, on a wde range of 'bikes, walk in, removing helmets so we can see the variety of riders.

We then see them seated at a table with breakfast and a mug, talk is then about what each has gained from an IAM course.

That would crack it in my opinion as well.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Tweaked? 22 seconds I lasted until I had to go and make a cup of tea. I came back and watched the can-o-worms until it mutated into a planet of it's very own and patronised me with:

"A better biker, is a better off-biker." (1:54)

Really?! Seriously?!

I'd leave it at the more than adequate Vicky Butler-Henderson's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_V7VCDGC0
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Reactions are obviously so subjective. I felt the NZ one was far too busy - trying to do much too much in the available time - and the VBH one was just boring and in line with the existing IAM image.
waremark

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum