Heard of this?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm

I recently found out via a friend of mine that it is supposedly good luck to keep a die-cast model of your car in your car.
This is definitely new to me, and I wondered whether there might be some people here that might've heard of this before.

It does sound intriguing.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, WW1 Baldrick had a bullet with his name on, on the theory that if he had it no-one else could, and it's well known that hanging an old CD from your rear-view mirror defeats police hand-held radar . . . So you never know . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:15 pm

So that explains why I often see people driving around with CDs hanging from the rear-view mirror :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Horse wrote:Well, WW1 Baldrick had a bullet with his name on, on the theory that if he had it no-one else could, and it's well known that hanging an old CD from your rear-view mirror defeats police hand-held radar . . . So you never know . . .

This emoticon doesn't fully express my reaction. :lol:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby lyndon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I recently found out via a friend of mine that it is supposedly good luck to keep a die-cast model of your car in your car.
This is definitely new to me, and I wondered whether there might be some people here that might've heard of this before.

It does sound intriguing.

I am reminded of an apocryphal story about Niels Bohr that I like very much.

A visitor at the home of Niels Bohr, famous atom scientist and Nobel Prize winner, was surprised to see a horseshoe hanging over the door.

“Do you, a sober man dedicated to science, believe in that superstition?”

“Of course not,” replied Bohr, “but I’ve been told that it’s supposed to be lucky, whether you believe in it or not.”
lyndon

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 am

lyndon wrote:I am reminded of an apocryphal story about Niels Bohr that I like very much.

A visitor at the home of Niels Bohr, famous atom scientist and Nobel Prize winner, was surprised to see a horseshoe hanging over the door.

“Of course not,” replied Bohr, “but I’ve been told that it’s supposed to be lucky, whether you believe in it or not.”

:lol: I think I'll keep this in mind for when I begin my lessons! :P
TheInsanity1234

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm

lyndon wrote: I am reminded of an apocryphal story about Niels Bohr that I like very much.

But which way up?

I've heard that 'u' acts as a bucket, to keep your luck in, whilst 'n' is a roof or shield to protect you from woe.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby revian » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Horse wrote:I've heard that 'u' acts as a bucket, to keep your luck in, whilst 'n' is a roof or shield to protect you from woe.

I don't think it matters as long as the horse (no attribution intended) is comfortable....
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 pm

revian wrote:
Horse wrote:I've heard that 'u' acts as a bucket, to keep your luck in, whilst 'n' is a roof or shield to protect you from woe.

I don't think it matters as long as the horse (no attribution intended) is comfortable....

:lol:
TheInsanity1234

Return to General Car Chat Forum