Confidence to drive slowly when appropriate.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Related to my "What frightens new Members away", I don't think this subject is discussed enough.
AD is about driving to the conditions but we rarely mention very adverse conditions and how to drive to them whilst those around us appear not to.
Examples from my experience, torrential rain on unlit Motorways, DCs and SC A roads at night, solid ice on surburban roads with cars parked on both sides.
So, how do others here approach these situations without coming into conflict with drivers who seem not to consider the conditions?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby gannet » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm

If you can't see where you are going or what's in front I won't drive blindly on following all the other idiots. If I'm causing visible annoyance to following cars by doing so I will pull over and let them go blindly on to their own downfall.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Good post.

It's not just extreme conditions where being slower than some/most is appropriate, it's the more common: closing gaps, close pedestrians/cyclists, sharp bend, humpback bridge, red lights ahead, uncertainty of vehicle in front.

I'm sure some around me think I am a dithering, balding, old git by holding-back sometimes...but hopefully they are reassured when I leave them behind later :twisted: (and conclude I'm merely a balding old git!)

The more I 'do' advanced driving, the slower (and faster) I get!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 pm

gannet wrote:If you can't see where you are going or what's in front I won't drive blindly on following all the other idiots. If I'm causing visible annoyance to following cars by doing so I will pull over and let them go blindly on to their own downfall.

Except, on a Motorway, if already in lane 1, you can't pull over, even if you have an LGV a few feet off your back bumper, because its driver is above the spray and thinks (s)he could go faster as hours are getting low and the traffic office is on the phone demanding to know when they will get to the destination because penalties will apply for a late delivery.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby gannet » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
gannet wrote:If you can't see where you are going or what's in front I won't drive blindly on following all the other idiots. If I'm causing visible annoyance to following cars by doing so I will pull over and let them go blindly on to their own downfall.

Except, on a Motorway, if already in lane 1, you can't pull over, even if you have an LGV a few feet off your back bumper, because its driver is above the spray and thinks (s)he could go faster as hours are getting low and the traffic office is on the phone demanding to know when they will get to the destination because penalties will apply for a late delivery.

Good point, never had that happen but I suppose you could always go off at a junction and then re-join. But why wouldn't they just use Lane 2 ?
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jcochrane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:37 pm

martine wrote:Good post.

It's not just extreme conditions where being slower than some/most is appropriate, it's the more common: closing gaps, close pedestrians/cyclists, sharp bend, humpback bridge, red lights ahead, uncertainty of vehicle in front.

I'm sure some around me think I am a dithering, balding, old git by holding-back sometimes...but hopefully they are reassured when I leave them behind later :twisted: (and conclude I'm merely a balding old git!)

The more I 'do' advanced driving, the slower (and faster) I get!

Like this post even though the third paragraph "dithering, balding, old git" rather accurately describes me.

Your last paragraph is so much at the heart of what advanced driving means to me. The accurate precise use of speed matched to available limits of vision. Manifested in a drive that reflects light and shade creating a smooth, balanced flow and rhythm in harmony with the road, driver and car
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby true blue » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am

One of the things I noticed earlier on in my AD journey was that far better drivers than me (awarded gold standards by one or other of the organisations that have such things) used a much wider range of speeds than I would for a given road. Something I've tried to take in to my own style of driving.

In December I found myself driving across the Peak District one night in extremely thick fog (visibility forcing me down to 20mph or less in places). Worth remembering in similar conditions that the lead car has a tougher job reading the road ahead than the queue behind, so don't be too surprised/worried by a car driving closer than you might like behind. Likewise, if you're in the queue, don't drive up close in a contact position when an overtake isn't conceivable!
true blue

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Examples from my experience, torrential rain on unlit Motorways, DCs and SC A roads at night, solid ice on surburban roads with cars parked on both sides.

These are rare situations for most people - if they're common for you I want to drive when & where you drive ;-)

However, as discussed many times before, speed should decrease with proximity to lateral hazards, even when conditions are benign. That it often doesn't is mainly a failure of imagination.
Last edited by Gareth on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Ancient » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 am

A snow-covered road, I'm using snow socks, keeping the speed down and keeping as far as possible off the compressed tracks; a 4x4 tears past in the same direction, at least twice my speed: Yes 4WD will get you to that speed, but 4-wheel braking won't stop you!

A blind left hand bend on a narrow road, the side of a house showing over the hedge, it is likely the doors open directly on the road just in the bend; a white van decides I am too slow and overtakes. fortunately nothing is coming the other way, so the driver thinks he is highly skilled and will do that again and again ...

A straight but narrow road, houses ahead on the right, garages opposite, no pavement or separation from the road for either. I ease off and the car behind guns past. Again no-one is actually hurt this time, but I am sure it is unpleasant for those living there to walk onto a race track every time they open their doors, and to cross one between their house and garage.

The stupid driver is not the one who slows down, slowing is not dithering. Dithering is driving at too slow a speed when conditions are clear for a higher speed and is usually associated with carrying the same speed through residential areas IME.
Anyway, I wear a flat cap whilst driving, thus indicating that I'm an old git who needs to slow down where others think it's OK to razz on.
Ancient

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 am

Ancient wrote:A snow-covered road, I'm using snow socks

Snow socks are only good for up to 30 mph. Good quality winter tyres can have such a large grip advantage over normal tyres that 25-30 mph faster isn't unreasonable, and winter tyres really do stop you.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Gareth wrote:
Ancient wrote:A snow-covered road, I'm using snow socks

Snow socks are only good for up to 30 mph. Good quality winter tyres can have such a large grip advantage over normal tyres that 25-30 mph faster isn't unreasonable, and winter tyres really do stop you.

The 4x4 driver was probably on normal tyres - they mostly don't realise grip comes from the tyres, not from the transmission.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Carbon Based » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

jcochrane wrote:The accurate precise use of speed matched to available limits of vision. Manifested in a drive that reflects light and shade creating a smooth, balanced flow and rhythm in harmony with the road, driver and car

Liked the light and shade idea a lot when you mentioned it on a drive.
Carbon Based

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
jcochrane wrote:The accurate precise use of speed matched to available limits of vision. Manifested in a drive that reflects light and shade creating a smooth, balanced flow and rhythm in harmony with the road, driver and car

Liked the light and shade idea a lot when you mentioned it on a drive.

It's an idea you get more and more in tune with, the more advanced people you drive with. Really good drivers are very calm people - no need to hurry, especially where there is nothing to gain. Pace appears naturally in the right places, and evaporates just when it's no longer needed. "Ebb and flow" is another good analogy.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 pm

I found that when I started on my advanced journey my speed varied far more than it used to before. As others have said, a driver who has taken advanced training slows far more than normal drivers for hazards, matching speed to vision and the probability of the unexpected appearing from blind areas.

Advanced drivers also realise that a speed limit is not a safe speed, unlike most drivers who carry on regardless of hazards.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Zebedee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Gareth wrote:However, as discussed many times before, speed should decrease with proximity to lateral hazards, even when conditions are benign. That it often doesn't is mainly a failure of imagination.

Which I've learnt applies just as much in rural roads, where there's potential for animals to emerge suddenly. Pheasants, especially female pheasants, and deer can be very well camouflaged until they step into the road. On narrow rural roads, I've learnt to adjust my speed according to how well I can see into the undergrowth on the sides of the road.

"Where there's one, there's two" applies to deer too :)

Animal encounters aren't much mentioned in AD, at least not in my experience. But I expect anyone who's ever lived where deer are common, for example, will drive slower in forests or where there's thick undergrowth by the road.
Zebedee

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum