Confidence to drive slowly when appropriate.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 pm

All i'm really saying is that roads are peculiar to humans and that means they're not only our domain. I know we all know this but it's worthwhile stating all the same.

I am not suggesting that everyone drives as if traveling through Whipsnade, but during Spring some rural roads are best enjoyed at slower speeds. Today I led a group on an 'Adder walk'. I found around 20 adders and a 'Slow Worm' but only did so by moving very slowly and observing with different eyes. Many of the group were astonished at how much more they could notice by lowering their speed and adding animals to their list of things to not stand on. This message is easily translated into road safety and enjoyable driving because even on NSLs, maintaining 60mph is often but a fleeting thing anyway. So do it but add animals to your risk assessments because they are most definitely there.

Animals are mostly social creatures and can have extended families within which they hold a particular place in a hierarchy. This is seriously disrupted by one of them being killed or injured by vehicles. Every time I see a dead animal by a road, I am reminded of the fragility of life (our own too) and how being in a motorised box on wheels does not negate this fact. Whether or not these creatures will go under or over a car when hit is important to know as we can adapt our responses to what we might do if we ever encounter one in an emergency but it's less important than chilling out with the 'must do 60 in a 60' progress imperative when we know full well that wild animals on roads is a possibility which we cannot otherwise plan for as we might a junction or cyclist. Many urban foxes local to me bear the scars of road accidents. It's an alien concept to the otherwise balanced nature of the circle of life which we as responsible drivers must take every opportunity to harmonise with.

If that doesn't fit with your map of reality, perhaps spend a few hours shovelling dead wild animals off roads so carrion eating animals aren't attracted to the same fate. Maybe then you'll adjust your bizarre need to match numbers on signs to those on your speedo.

AD is far less important than Advanced Living.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Kimosabe provides us with much food for thought. Thought that, for many, is not of any concern, however it does question the, as he says, "progress imperative" often understood as a basic tenet of AD.
I'd be interested in comment upon the awareness of wildlife approach adopted by those on Police courses, especially considering that rural A and B roads are favourites for such training.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:32 am

This sums up exactly my opinion on driving. I have always believed that speed limits are pointless. As has been mentioned elsewhere, what speed limits do is enforce a mind-frame of "If I am not going over the speed limit, then I am driving safely."
I personally feel that if speed limits were to be removed, unless strictly necessary (Such as the New Forest, or small roads with lots of houses along them), the roads would become much, much safer, as people would have to make their judgement on what is a safe speed, suitable for the conditions, and therefore people wouldn't try driving at 60 mph where it is unsafe to do so, such as where you all have mentioned, woodland on one side and fields on the other side of the road.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ancient » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:This sums up exactly my opinion on driving. I have always believed that speed limits are pointless. As has been mentioned elsewhere, what speed limits do is enforce a mind-frame of "If I am not going over the speed limit, then I am driving safely."
I personally feel that if speed limits were to be removed, unless strictly necessary (Such as the New Forest, or small roads with lots of houses along them), the roads would become much, much safer, as people would have to make their judgement on what is a safe speed, suitable for the conditions, and therefore people wouldn't try driving at 60 mph where it is unsafe to do so, such as where you all have mentioned, woodland on one side and fields on the other side of the road.

This (i.e. left to the judgement of the driver) was the case when motor vehicles first started to become common. Unfortunately the idea that peoples' judgement as to what is a safe speed will naturally be safe is unfounded even with the the vehicles of that era which were less safe for their occupants than modern vehicles, which is why speed limits had to be introduced. Given the fact that modern vehicles are designed for a high level of secondary safety (for their occupants) it is highly unlikely that drivers could be trusted to drive at safe speeds without limits now, when (in general) they couldn't in the past.
Ancient

Postby revian » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Sadly, IMHO, Ancient is right. 'Doing the right thing' or 'common sense' isn't a reliable outcome of human beings actions... Self included...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby fungus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 pm

revian wrote:Sadly, IMHO, Ancient is right. 'Doing the right thing' or 'common sense' isn't a reliable outcome of human beings actions... Self included...

Ian

I have to agree. It's not speed limits per se that most here would object to, but inapropriately set limits that devalue sensible limits.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Ancient wrote:This (i.e. left to the judgement of the driver) was the case when motor vehicles first started to become common. Unfortunately the idea that peoples' judgement as to what is a safe speed will naturally be safe is unfounded even with the the vehicles of that era which were less safe for their occupants than modern vehicles, which is why speed limits had to be introduced. Given the fact that modern vehicles are designed for a high level of secondary safety (for their occupants) it is highly unlikely that drivers could be trusted to drive at safe speeds without limits now, when (in general) they couldn't in the past.

I've heard of a story that the 70 MPH speed limit on motorways was only introduced to prevent car manufacturers from using the M1 as a test-track for their new sports cars. (I think it was Jaguar with one of their cars managing to reach 100 MPH that caused people to complain about it and thus, brought the blanket limit in force.
Just for clarification, I don't mean I want all speed limits abolished, I mean on motorways and on most rural fast country roads, that's where I'd like to see speed limits removed.
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:36 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've heard of a story that the 70 MPH speed limit on motorways was only introduced to prevent car manufacturers from using the M1 as a test-track for their new sports cars. (I think it was Jaguar with one of their cars managing to reach 100 MPH that caused people to complain about it and thus, brought the blanket limit in force

AC Cars with the Cobra, 186 mph, but it wasn't what introduced the speed limit which was coming anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 pm

trashbat wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've heard of a story that the 70 MPH speed limit on motorways was only introduced to prevent car manufacturers from using the M1 as a test-track for their new sports cars. (I think it was Jaguar with one of their cars managing to reach 100 MPH that caused people to complain about it and thus, brought the blanket limit in force

AC Cars with the Cobra, 186 mph, but it wasn't what introduced the speed limit which was coming anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra

That's the one. Also, when it was introduced, the government claimed that it would just be temporary.
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum