Auto VS Manual

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 pm

I noticed that this question doesn't appear to have been asked anywhere on the forum, so I thought I'd be the first to tread these murky waters!

Which do you prefer, automatic cars or manual cars, or even semi-autos, and why?

Hopefully this'll turn into an interesting thread! :D
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:45 am

I do feel that it has been much discussed, though I am not going to spend time looking for earlier threads on the topic.

I like both. I feel that modern autos simply do a better job than manuals, better performance, better fuel consumption, impeccable smoothness, and excellent over-ride features. Driving an auto leaves more of your concentration for managing traffic, and you are always ready to accelerate without ever having to take time to engage a responsive gear.

On the other hand changing gear manually gives more feeling of involvement with the car, and is also more rewarding. It is more rewarding because it is slightly demanding always to select an appropriate gear, and to find time to engage it without interrupting the flow of the drive. It is always satisfying to make perfectly rev matched gear changes, where the engine speed matches the road speed before you release the clutch and you cannot feel the moment the drive re-engages.

There is little distinction now between autos and semi-autos. Whatever the underlying technology used, most autos provide good manual over-ride facilities.

My sons both prefer autos. I think the clutch pedal will soon be as dead as the starting handle.
waremark

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:49 am

Personally I think it's impossible to say whether I prefer one or the other.

For town driving I find my auto much more relaxing. As Mark has said, it frees up processing power to concentrate on other aspects of the drive, and also (I find) it makes getting a brisk getaway easier.

On the other hand, when on a B-road nothing other than a pure manual will do for me. Yes, some modern autos have a very responsive manual mode and paddle shifters, but they still lack the involvement of a manual.

Ultimately, I think the choice of gearbox needs to suit the car. Anything with sporting pretences suits a manual, while something big and wafty works better with an auto. For example, my Jag would feel as mismatched with a manual box as my MR2 would have done with an auto. There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.
jameslb101

Postby skodatezzer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:18 pm

jameslb101 wrote: There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.

So that'll be next week, will it? :lol:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm

skodatezzer wrote:
jameslb101 wrote: There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.

So that'll be next week, will it? :lol:

I currently have £2.44 in my bank account, so sadly not.

On the other hand, I'm living up to the stereotype and at least have reason to say, "Would you mind awfully settling this while I go warm up the Jaaaag"

jameslb101

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm

waremark wrote: I think the clutch pedal will soon be as dead as the starting handle.

Arghhhhh :shock:

I'm at odds with others here as I absolutely hate autos. I always feel that the car is in control of me, not me in control of the car.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Lingo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Well as a general rule my preferences are...

If I'm the driver - manual
If I'm a passenger - auto

:lol:
IAM F1RST award.
---
Keep it smooth. Keep it stable.
Lingo

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Ultimately, I think the choice of gearbox needs to suit the car. Anything with sporting pretences suits a manual, while something big and wafty works better with an auto. For example, my Jag would feel as mismatched with a manual box as my MR2 would have done with an auto. There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.

This is my view exactly.
The only car I can think of where this doesn't work is the Range Rover, because it's a luxury car, means it should have an auto (which it does, and a very good one at that), however, it's a 4x4, meaning (in my view), it should have an manual because of the necessity to have the clutch control in off-roading.
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 pm

jameslb101 wrote:There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.

Sounds like a plan.
waremark

Postby jameslb101 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:39 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The only car I can think of where this doesn't work is the Range Rover, because it's a luxury car, means it should have an auto (which it does, and a very good one at that), however, it's a 4x4, meaning (in my view), it should have an manual because of the necessity to have the clutch control in off-roading.

Worth bearing in mind that 99.somthing % of miles driven in RRs will be on the road. Having driven a RR on a pretty challenging off road course (the LR experience centre in Honiton) I didn't find having auto caused any problems, especially given the multitude of systems it packed, such as hill descent control.

Two classes of car where you don't often see with auto, but I think would far better suit it, are city cars and small hatchbacks (Ford Ka/Fiesta, VW Up/Polo, etc). Often these are rarely taken out of a local urban environment, and driven by people with little interest in driving who might not relish the joys of a perfectly executed heel and toe downchange on the B4560 (and there's no reason why they should). For their duty cycle and demographic, I believe an auto box would be beneficial for the majority of applications. However, they are also very price sensitive segments and opting for auto would represent a large bump in price proportionate to the cost of the car, which probably explains their lack of popularity here.
jameslb101

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am

Just looking for a nearly new city auto for SWMBO there aren't that many about.
I have a Citroen C4 semi auto which she likes to drive. As has been commented autos are great for town and traffic but not quite as good on the B roads. But then I also prefer rear wheel drive and they are disappearing fast.
I got the C4 because for 90% of the time it is exactly what is needed. Economical, comfortable, easy to drive and the right price. Driving the other 10% flick it in to manual mode and its acceptable.
exportmanuk

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25 am

waremark wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:There's a place for both, and circumstances permitting I'd have one of each.

Sounds like a plan.

It's a splendid plan, so long you're not a poor OAP. Oh, if only I hadn't squandered so much on booze and fast women.... :cry:
TripleS

Postby jameslb101 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:02 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Just looking for a nearly new city auto for SWMBO there aren't that many about.
But then I also prefer rear wheel drive and they are disappearing fast.

BMW i3 and Smart FourTwo are the only new cars I can think of that meet your criteria of being both auto and RWD. Upcoming Twingo is going to be rear-engined, RWD, but at this stage I haven't heard anything about auto being available.
jameslb101

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 pm

jameslb101 wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:Just looking for a nearly new city auto for SWMBO there aren't that many about.
But then I also prefer rear wheel drive and they are disappearing fast.

BMW i3 and Smart FourTwo are the only new cars I can think of that meet your criteria of being both auto and RWD. Upcoming Twingo is going to be rear-engined, RWD, but at this stage I haven't heard anything about auto being available.

Trouble is, the i3 is going to be electric, so perhaps not.
TheInsanity1234

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:58 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Upcoming Twingo is going to be rear-engined, RWD, but at this stage I haven't heard anything about auto being available.

Anyone remember the original Beatle or Simcas and NSUs from the 70s. Though I guess with modern engine power it could be more like a beatle with a Porsche engine. Could be interesting :D
exportmanuk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum