Suitable car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm just asking as my sister had 25+ hours of lessons, and apparently the average is 47-ish hours of lessons, and frankly I don't have the money to do that.

Having said that, my parents have said that I'm quite lucky in having a winter birthday, as the bulk of my learning hours will be done in the winter, in the bad conditions and early nights.
They have also said that I have a head-start compared to other people, as I've already worked on my control, and I've even reversed a car using mirrors alone (not the best, I admit, but the instructor said that if you were confident in your judgement of what you can see from the mirrors, then it's all good).

I also find that I pick up things quite easily and with ease, so I've got most of the basic skills, the driving lessons would be about polishing these skills up, and learning how to cope with other cars on the road.
TheInsanity1234

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:04 pm

I think the amount of lessons is very much dependent on the individual and the amount of opportunity you have to go out with a parent/adult away from your instructor
R2D2

Postby martine » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm just asking as my sister had 25+ hours of lessons, and apparently the average is 47-ish hours of lessons, and frankly I don't have the money to do that.

Yes the DVSA say that's the average to pass plus 20 hours 'private practice' (with parents or friends).

...and I've even reversed a car using mirrors alone (not the best, I admit, but the instructor said that if you were confident in your judgement of what you can see from the mirrors, then it's all good).

That's good but you would fail your driving test if you used mirrors alone.

I also find that I pick up things quite easily and with ease, so I've got most of the basic skills, the driving lessons would be about polishing these skills up, and learning how to cope with other cars on the road.

Yes people vary hugely in how they pick things up - you also have a strong interest and are obviously quite analytical which counts in your favour.

It is fair to say the driving test is more demanding than it's ever been - don't listen to oldies that say there's nothing to it or they passed with 5 lessons - very unlikely today.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm

martine wrote:Yes the DVSA say that's the average to pass plus 20 hours 'private practice' (with parents or friends).

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of private practice with my mum, as she is getting a job in a school close to me, so I'd drive myself (with mother, obviously) to my school, and then she would carry on herself, then vice-versa.

That's good but you would fail your driving test if you used mirrors alone.

Yeah, the blind-spot check etc.

Yes people vary hugely in how they pick things up - you also have a strong interest and are obviously quite analytical which counts in your favour.

It is fair to say the driving test is more demanding than it's ever been - don't listen to oldies that say there's nothing to it or they passed with 5 lessons - very unlikely today.

Well, I don't aim to set a world record with the least driving lessons before passing :lol: I just don't want to be spending 50-odd hours in lessons.
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 pm

[/quote] It is fair to say the driving test is more demanding than it's ever been - don't listen to oldies that say there's nothing to it or they passed with 5 lessons - very unlikely today.[/quote]

The driving test certainly is more demanding today. Back in 1968 when I passed my test there were fewer roundabouts and road systems were far less complicated. For instance, there were no spiral roundabouts, magic roundabouts etc. But we had to drive for ten minutes using hand signals only, and at the end of the test we had to answer some questions on the Highway Code, there was no theory or hazard perception tests in those days.
There were also only about seven million cars on the road in those days, however, IIAC 1966 or 1967 recorded the highest number of fatalities on record for Britains roads at over seven thousand deaths.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:57 pm

You will also find that you get advice like "you only learn to drive after passing your test." That statement is in a way correct, but do not forget what you were taught by your instructor. Instead, build on it by taking extra training. Whilst you gain experience you will continue to learn, but unfortunately we seem to learn most from our mistakes, which is not ideal in an environment like the busy public roads.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:29 pm

fungus wrote:

The driving test certainly is more demanding today. Back in 1968 when I passed my test there were fewer roundabouts and road systems were far less complicated. For instance, there were no spiral roundabouts, magic roundabouts etc. But we had to drive for ten minutes using hand signals only, and at the end of the test we had to answer some questions on the Highway Code, there was no theory or hazard perception tests in those days.
There were also only about seven million cars on the road in those days, however, IIAC 1966 or 1967 recorded the highest number of fatalities on record for Britains roads at over seven thousand deaths.

I must say, I absolutely love magic roundabouts.

I find them so easy to navigate (and I cannot fathom why people find them so hard to understand). Yes, there's cars coming at you from everywhere, but I guess that's another reason why I like them. I think if it's any way possible, magic roundabouts should always be incorporated into lessons, because if you have the ability to navigate one of those in a confident, nonplussed manner, then you must be a very good driver, or very unflappable.

fungus wrote:You will also find that you get advice like "you only learn to drive after passing your test." That statement is in a way correct, but do not forget what you were taught by your instructor. Instead, build on it by taking extra training. Whilst you gain experience you will continue to learn, but unfortunately we seem to learn most from our mistakes, which is not ideal in an environment like the busy public roads.

I hear that literally all the time, but I don't intend on passing my test then completely forgetting how to indicate. That will only happen when I purchase a large saloon from a certain group of Germany-based car companies :P
Ta for the extra info though! :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I must say, I absolutely love magic roundabouts.

I find them so easy to navigate from the back seat

Brave talk but just wait until it's your clutch control, and a real car, and you need to get out into a small gap to get across...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:31 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I must say, I absolutely love magic roundabouts.

I find them so easy to navigate from the back seat

Brave talk but just wait until it's your clutch control, and a real car, and you need to get out into a small gap to get across...

I don't mean driving across them, I just mean I understand the lane structure and where you should be when.
I notice it's an issue for people, as they have to think about what lane they're in as well as trying to avoid everyone else :lol:

But anyway, the clutch control should already have been practised so it shouldn't be a conscious thing I guess?
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum