Forum differences

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 pm

I must admit, I find it startling as here, everyone is very polite and mindful of other people, and if I say something that is incorrect, you'll correct me but in a respectful manner, and all in all, this forum appears to have a lot more mutual respect between members.

I respect you all for being older and more experienced, but you guys seem to respect me for having the confidence to participate in this forum.

Now, I, in a moment of extreme boredom, made an account on a certain well-known motoring forum, and made my first post.
Within half an hour, I had about 3 different people taking the mickey out of what I was trying to contribute on the forum.

In other words, you're all nice and PH appears to be populated by egoistic gentlemen who apparently appear to be lacking in a certain department.
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Tue May 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I sometimes contribute to a gundog forum, and whilst it is mainly polite, and the moderators try to keep it that way, there are occasionally posts that are quite frankly, a personal attack on another poster. These are usually removed and the poster given a warning, or in serious cases the banning of a member where they have been warned previously.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby hir » Tue May 27, 2014 10:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
In other words, you're all nice and PH appears to be populated by egoistic gentlemen who apparently appear to be lacking in a certain department.

How very kind of you to say so. :D
hir

Postby jcochrane » Tue May 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I think one thing that may be different here is that the forum is not just about strangers talking about advanced driving. Many of us meet up, around the country, to put it into practice and drive with each other. :D

See Members Network for ADUK driving days. Have a word with the organiser if you would like to come along as passenger/observer they may be able to sort something out.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fungus » Tue May 27, 2014 10:45 pm

christopherwk brought his girl friend allong on the Shaftesbury driving day in August last year. The poor girl had to endure the rear seat of my daughters Mini Cooper S with its sports plus suspension, and 17 inch wheels fitted with run flat tyres. The suspension feels very go kart like at best, but on the bumpy, pot holed roads of North Dorset, it is truly horrendous. :shock:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks 'insanity' for your words - we don't always get it right mind you! I have to say your show a maturity in your posts that belies your age and clearly you are very keen to be the best driver you can (once you can drive!) - which is unusual in my experience.

Very occasionally we have been accused in the past of being most unfriendly to newcomers. I reckon if you join up and start posting straight away 'with an agenda' then unless you have a solid factual basis, people here will take the bait and pick any statement to pieces. Sometimes the original poster goes off in a huff.

But in the main, yes I think we are most polite and welcoming (certainly in comparison to some forums I know). We do however often get bogged down with the minutia of Advanced Driving - but then again with so many enthusiasts (some would say, nerds) discussing a subject they often feel passionate about, I don't think it's surprising really.

Enjoy - and do take up jcochrane's suggestion of coming along to an ADUK driving day as a passenger sometime soon. I don't know what area of the UK you live in but you might find there is an attendee willing to give you a lift. The days are always interesting, fun and instructive in my experience.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 pm

hir wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

How very kind of you to say so. :D

It's nothing but the truth! :lol:

jcochrane wrote:I think one thing that may be different here is that the forum is not just about strangers talking about advanced driving. Many of us meet up, around the country, to put it into practice and drive with each other. :D

See Members Network for ADUK driving days. Have a word with the organiser if you would like to come along as passenger/observer they may be able to sort something out.

Well, it's PistonHeads... I must admit, I don't know what I was expecting on there...
But it was certainly nothing sweet and candy-land.
I was expecting to be ridiculed, and ignored by some of them, but it's like 10+ of the members in just one thread :shock:
After I pass my test, that'd be something for me to look into. I don't intend on becoming a 100% advanced driver with lots of bits of paper confirming my ability, but I would like to have advice given to me on how I can improve from the (quite frankly, exceedingly basic) DSA skills, so that I can be a safer driver than the general public.

fungus wrote:christopherwk brought his girl friend allong on the Shaftesbury driving day in August last year. The poor girl had to endure the rear seat of my daughters Mini Cooper S with its sports plus suspension, and 17 inch wheels fitted with run flat tyres. The suspension feels very go kart like at best, but on the bumpy, pot holed roads of North Dorset, it is truly horrendous. :shock:

:lol: :lol:
I've experienced the suspension on a go-kart... Hold on... :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 pm

It has to be said that they've backed off a bit, probably because I've batted their criticisms away with polite responses, and I'm demonstrating my ability to hold my ground in a forum full of people who have egos that are as proportional to the rest of them as an Ostrich's eyeballs are to it's brain.
It's a wonder they fit through any of the doors.
But yeah, I've batted a few of them down, and they appear to be backing off now.
I suppose it's not the wisest thing to do, announcing your age first thing, and instead just leave it, and see what their reaction is when you announce it a bit later :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 am

I wish you had posted a link - I've just spent several minutes looking at the PH forum trying to find your post. I can't see an "introduce yourself" thread like on other forums.

I find people here polite too - I don't have enough spare time to spend on forums where people are rude. I just decide that the forum isn't for me and leave.
onlinegenie

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:53 pm

martine wrote:Thanks 'insanity' for your words - we don't always get it right mind you! I have to say your show a maturity in your posts that belies your age and clearly you are very keen to be the best driver you can (once you can drive!) - which is unusual in my experience.

Very occasionally we have been accused in the past of being most unfriendly to newcomers. I reckon if you join up and start posting straight away 'with an agenda' then unless you have a solid factual basis, people here will take the bait and pick any statement to pieces. Sometimes the original poster goes off in a huff.

But in the main, yes I think we are most polite and welcoming (certainly in comparison to some forums I know). We do however often get bogged down with the minutia of Advanced Driving - but then again with so many enthusiasts (some would say, nerds) discussing a subject they often feel passionate about, I don't think it's surprising really.

Enjoy - and do take up jcochrane's suggestion of coming along to an ADUK driving day as a passenger sometime soon. I don't know what area of the UK you live in but you might find there is an attendee willing to give you a lift. The days are always interesting, fun and instructive in my experience.

But then you have been harsh to long-time members, so I think it's purely equal treatment :)
I'm in West Berkshire... Have to figure out the location thing on here :lol:

onlinegenie wrote:I wish you had posted a link - I've just spent several minutes looking at the PH forum trying to find your post. I can't see an "introduce yourself" thread like on other forums.

I find people here polite too - I don't have enough spare time to spend on forums where people are rude. I just decide that the forum isn't for me and leave.

I haven't actually put an "introduce myself" thread, I just went ahead and posted on a thread :lol:
It's this one: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... drivers%3F
My first post was somewhere on the 12th page.
I was going to ask for your opinions on what the original poster's situation was :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Wed May 28, 2014 2:19 pm

You certainly got a hostile reception. Observations:

1. You conducted yourself well and gave good answers to criticism.

2. I was pleased with the way Blakewater defended you and said it's good for people to take an interest in driving before they're old enough to drive.

3. Is the emoticon you've used at the bottom of page 14 you being sick?

4. I've read the OP and a few posts after it. Too long a thread for me to read all the way through. From what little I've read I don't understand why she stopped (please feel free to tell me if that's explained further on). Assuming it's a normal roundabout, she had right of way and the van driver behind wouldn't have been expecting her to stop - he could have run into the back of her. In the eyes of the insurance company, it would be his fault, but she would have had the inconvenience of an insurance claim/car repair to deal with.
onlinegenie

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:05 pm

onlinegenie wrote:You certainly got a hostile reception. Observations:

1. You conducted yourself well and gave good answers to criticism.

2. I was pleased with the way Blakewater defended you and said it's good for people to take an interest in driving before they're old enough to drive.

3. Is the emoticon you've used at the bottom of page 14 you being sick?

4. I've read the OP and a few posts after it. Too long a thread for me to read all the way through. From what little I've read I don't understand why she stopped (please feel free to tell me if that's explained further on). Assuming it's a normal roundabout, she had right of way and the van driver behind wouldn't have been expecting her to stop - he could have run into the back of her. In the eyes of the insurance company, it would be his fault, but she would have had the inconvenience of an insurance claim/car repair to deal with.

1. Thank you very muchly! :mrgreen:

2. I was glad that there are people like that on there - was expecting them all to be the same!

3. It is indeed :lol: That particular post was rather detailed for my liking :roll:

4. The OP said that she stopped as when she was approaching the roundabout, there was a car already nosing onto it and showing all the signs of dodging in front of her, so she wanted to be safe, rather than sorry, and she had the van driver blowing up because he was stopped for less than 50 seconds. She also mentions that the van driver was tailgating her along the road
I see your point, but at the same time, it was a busy road so in my view, I would've been fully expecting sudden stops (but then if I was tailgating someone [not that I ever would!] I suppose sudden stops would be the last thing on my mind. I'd be more interested in trying to intimidate the person in front into moving out of the way).
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ancient » Wed May 28, 2014 3:23 pm

onlinegenie wrote:4. I've read the OP and a few posts after it. Too long a thread for me to read all the way through. From what little I've read I don't understand why she stopped (please feel free to tell me if that's explained further on). Assuming it's a normal roundabout, she had right of way and the van driver behind wouldn't have been expecting her to stop - he could have run into the back of her. In the eyes of the insurance company, it would be his fault, but she would have had the inconvenience of an insurance claim/car repair to deal with.

When reaching the roundabout you should
give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining

http://goo.gl/maps/1l1zN
Give way signs at the r/b entrances.

In addition as 'insanity' says she says that she knows that r/b as one where people don't look and as she approached the roundabout and stopped to look, there was a driver emerging onto the r/b from the left (and of course once on the r/b he is approaching her from the right - topology and all that).
Ancient

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Ancient wrote:
onlinegenie wrote:4. I've read the OP and a few posts after it. Too long a thread for me to read all the way through. From what little I've read I don't understand why she stopped (please feel free to tell me if that's explained further on). Assuming it's a normal roundabout, she had right of way and the van driver behind wouldn't have been expecting her to stop - he could have run into the back of her. In the eyes of the insurance company, it would be his fault, but she would have had the inconvenience of an insurance claim/car repair to deal with.

When reaching the roundabout you should
give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining

http://goo.gl/maps/1l1zN
Give way signs at the r/b entrances.

In addition as 'insanity' says she says that she knows that r/b as one where people don't look and as she approached the roundabout and stopped to look, there was a driver emerging onto the r/b from the left (and of course once on the r/b he is approaching her from the right - topology and all that).

Funny how the PH members are berating her for being wrong, yet they're the ones in the wrong...
TheInsanity1234

Postby onlinegenie » Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:3. It is indeed :lol: That particular post was rather detailed for my liking :roll:

I thought it was funny! :-)
onlinegenie

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum