Average speed cameras!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby trashbat » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Something significantly less than the two second rule, I suppose. It's not a particularly challenging problem since ordinary traffic cameras measure speed and have ANPR. The main difficulty is merely getting a view of both vehicles when tightly spaced. Anyway it exists and seems to be in use. I'm sure you can find better links, but:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9398

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirate ... 4-1.542781
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Ah, well if it can be done, then I'm all for it! I just hope that if they are to be introduced, then they will be adjusted for variable speed limits as I'd be annoyed if I had to leave 16 car lengths at 30 mph :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:44 pm

A problem that could arise with tailgating cameras is where a driver cuts sharply and tightly in on a driver within the marked area.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Rick101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:03 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The thing is, if I had to drive through roadworks, I'd love an automatic with radar-guided cruise control, so you just set it to 50, and let the car speed up and slow down by itself, whilst maintaining a good gap in front :)

I haven't tried adaptive cruise control, but i imagine it needs a bit more input from the driver than that, to stay safe in these conditions. Maybe someone else will comment - how good is this technology?

No, Jeremy Clarkson demonstrated the adaptive cruise control on the Jaguar XJ.

It works like a traditional cruise control system, you stick it to a speed you want, and select a following distance you'd like to have (Some cars offer adjustable following distances, others offer a fixed distance), and you just have to worry about steering. Obviously, if the car in front brakes sharply, I think you have to assist the system by braking too, but for gradual deceleration and small changes in speed, then it works perfectly fine.

I think it's only available with auto boxes, as a system on a manual car would just cut out every time you changed gear, which is no good for when you're in those types of jams, where everyone seems to randomly accelerate and slow down between 50 and 30.

Sorry for the big quote box but wanted to capture it all..

I have a Mk7 Golf which has ACC or Adaptive Cruise Control. just a few points, it works with a manual box, it allows iirc 30 seconds of clutch to change gear without it cancelling. I'm told the system works far better with a DSc or 'auto box'. With DSc it will allow braking to a complete stop and will then pull away when traffic in front is clearing, eg start stop traffic on a motorway.

The distance has about four or five settings. I think the maximum is about 120yds but I would have to check the manual. It does not keep a fixed 120yds but reduces it or increases up to 120yds dependant on speed. i.e if you came to a full stop you would not still be 120yds behind the vehicle in front. (I'll add it does pick up motorbikes).
The radar is quite accurate, it's very lane specific and clearly shows when it sees a vehicle in front. One other thing it will do is accelerate up to the set speed for an overtake. I think it's set to the indicators but not 100%, it very quickly gets on the gas from a reduced speed up to your set speed when you begin your overtake.

The system works quite well but it's far from perfect. Imagine as a driver the only thing you were looking at was the car in front (I know some do! :shock: ). It's a reactive system. It does what it's supposed to but personally I find it coming in too late or not early enough, but thats because I can read what's around me and see the wider picture. I think the only way this could be done is when all cars have a GPS type system and all cars are connected and can see where each other are, speed and direction etc.

Hope thats of help.

zadocbrown, i'll come in the Golf on Friday and give you a demo :)
Rick101

Postby jont » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Rick101 wrote:The system works quite well but it's far from perfect. Imagine as a driver the only thing you were looking at was the car in front (I know some do! :shock: ). It's a reactive system. It does what it's supposed to but personally I find it coming in too late or not early enough, but thats because I can read what's around me and see the wider picture. I think the only way this could be done is when all cars have a GPS type system and all cars are connected and can see where each other are, speed and direction etc.

Not to mention are also talking to each other about accelerator/brake inputs.

IIRC the Audi A6 got a bad reputation in Germany when the system first came out as if another driver moved into "your" space it would bang on the brakes very aggressively rather than just lifting :roll:
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Rick101 wrote:Hope thats of help.

That's an excellent explanation, thanks very much!
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum