What car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:16 pm

jont wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:So, I think it's swings and roundabouts, and depends on what company you go with.

One of my biggest bugbears about black boxes is that insurance companies don't publish what their thresholds are for "good" vs "bad" driving, or how they decided upon those thresholds.

Mind you, ISTR when martine and Mr Toad were involved with a similar scheme they deliberately removed acceleration from the measurements, it was only braking and steering that could contribute to red flags.

Most likely it's to encourage people to drive like an elderly lady because they have no idea how carefully they should drive to get the savings.

Would an Audi A2 be a decent car, or should I avoid them like the plague?

I've heard stories about how they're exceedingly reliable, but are horrendous to service (and therefore cost a bit in services) because the engine can only be accessed from below?

I only ask as I've been quoted £1,760 to insure one of them as a sole driver, so will probably save a bit on the cost again when parents are added.
TheInsanity1234

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:31 pm

An Audi would have all the faults and virtues of it's parent company VW and by and large will be no different to any other car manufactured by that group.
I'd save money and buy a Seat - pretty much the same car and with the same problems but you haven't shelled out so much.
They all go wrong. It's just the way with cars.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby trashbat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Audi A2s are remarkable amongst their unremarkable siblings; they're made of aluminium, for a start, as a production trial for the then-future A8. Worth looking into.

There are some negatives to its weirdness though, like body damage can't be repaired, and it had no successor so long term parts availability might be questionable.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 pm

trashbat wrote:Audi A2s are remarkable amongst their unremarkable siblings; they're made of aluminium, for a start, as a production trial for the then-future A8. Worth looking into.

There are some negatives to its weirdness though, like body damage can't be repaired, and it had no successor so long term parts availability might be questionable.

Do you mean if I dented the bumper, it'd have to be replaced etc?

I suppose that would be excellent, makes me far more cautious about crashing it and dinging it! :lol:

But I like the sound of them, as you say, they were quite innovative amongst the hum-drum hatchbacks they were going up against.

The only issue is, innovation does have a tendency to be difficult to live with :lol:

My main concern is servicing costs, as I've heard that they don't have a traditional engine compartment as such, and have to be accessed from below when being serviced :|

chriskay wrote:All I can tell you about the A2 is that is in the stable of someone I know who owns, among other exotica, a McLaren F1 and has a P1 on order. He speaks well of it.

Well, excellent!
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 pm

You could reel in your own rather odd bunch of devotees with a thread called, 'TheInsanity1234 - is this your Audi A2?'
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:47 pm

trashbat wrote:You could reel in your own rather odd bunch of devotees with a thread called, 'TheInsanity1234 - is this your Audi A2?'

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or:

TheInsanity1234 - is this your Panda 100HP?

(since, y'know, I'd love one of them!)
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 am

Well, Confused.com says:

Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE = £2,378.64/year.

Audi A2 1.6 FSI SE = £2,179.36/year.

Audi A2 1.4 SE = £1,704.16/year.

All are exactly the same.

Me, 17 year old, no NCB, sole driver, 11k miles/year blah blah blah.

I think they are actually rather cheap quotes when you consider how scarce parts are going to be, since there's not many of them about, and no follow up models available.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:45 am

Just another quote gained.

I fancied a Subaru Forester, so plugged in the number plate of a 150k example.

£5,000 please, sir.

Pffft.

So I had a look at a Panda 4x4.

£1,570.

Hmm...?

(Excuse the weird posting time, there was a storm and I looked at cars to distract me from it :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 am

All my children started with Admiral. Two of the three are still with them. I have found the telephone customer service superb and we have not had any problems. When already a customer if you ring and tell them you can get cheaper insurance elsewhere, or that their new quote price is cheaper than their renewal offer, they seem to match the lower offer. So do get a parent to ring and check whether they will match your best online offer as part of the multi car policy.

Personally I would do my best to avoid having a box fitted. Dom will tell you that good driving is penalised - as will another young friend. I guess the reason fitting them reduces claims is because they stop drivers from choosing to drive stupidly (or 'having a bit of fun' as you say! - sorry).

Do not look for logic in insurance pricing. Prices are based on past experience without considering the reasons for that past experience.

My son bought an Aston at 23. It was not expensive to insure. Even at that level it seems that a more expensive car can be cheaper to insure.
waremark

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:15 pm

waremark wrote:All my children started with Admiral. Two of the three are still with them. I have found the telephone customer service superb and we have not had any problems. When already a customer if you ring and tell them you can get cheaper insurance elsewhere, or that their new quote price is cheaper than their renewal offer, they seem to match the lower offer. So do get a parent to ring and check whether they will match your best online offer as part of the multi car policy.

The issue here is the parent. They both are not bothered at all, and I suspect I will meet quite a bit of resistance if I ask them to let me put a car on their policy. Also because I'm 16, and am not 17 until December, and probably won't be passing until March, so my parents keep avoiding the subject by saying "We'll sort it out when the time comes"

Fair enough, but it's bloody annoying when you've got nothing better to do and are actually having a bit of fun doing the quotes (some quotes are too good to be true, and others are just weird. Worthy of a chuckle at times!)

Personally I would do my best to avoid having a box fitted. Dom will tell you that good driving is penalised - as will another young friend. I guess the reason fitting them reduces claims is because they stop drivers from choosing to drive stupidly (or 'having a bit of fun' as you say! - sorry).

I refuse to have a box fitted. I genuinely cannot see how they're supposed to save you money, and still allow you the freedom that the car symbolises.

I've said to someone else, the black box is like having your grandma in the back seat. It's not intended to prevent you from doing what you want, but you will restrain yourself because there's something in the car that will be annoyed if you do go a bit too fast.

I think driving stupidly and having a bit of fun are two entirely different things.

Being stupid means you're taking risks that are just too big, just for a laugh.

Having a bit of fun means you're being sensible, and just enjoying the whole act. This does mean you might go over the limit occasionally, but if you consider it to be quite safe (and nobody's looking, of course), then there's no reason why not?

Do not look for logic in insurance pricing. Prices are based on past experience without considering the reasons for that past experience.

My son bought an Aston at 23. It was not expensive to insure. Even at that level it seems that a more expensive car can be cheaper to insure.

I'm not :lol:

I demonstrated the example rather well with the A2 quotes.

A 1.4 diesel is nearly £700 more to insure per year than a 1.4 petrol, even though they both put out the same amount of power, both are the same age, and both are the same trim level.

This can only be because more people bought the diesel version, and therefore, more people crashed the diesel version.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm

chriskay wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
My main concern is servicing costs, as I've heard that they don't have a traditional engine compartment as such, and have to be accessed from below when being serviced :|

From a review: "Non opening bonnet foxes some people (front flap opens for checking fluids and revealing clips which allow bonnet to be lifted off)."

Why don't you just google "Aud1 A2 review"? There are several there (other car reviews are available).

I have. but not many reviews seem to mention it. What website was that one from?
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 pm

It's Shed of the Week on PH right now.
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:33 pm

trashbat wrote:It's Shed of the Week on PH right now.

Just noticed it :D

Now, would the insurance on a car go up if you put a cherished plate on it?

Because I'm wondering whether to go for a cherished plate to put on my first car.

I've found one I particularly like.

X123 APW

APW being my initals, and X123 just being a combination of letter/numbers that is the most appealing to me :lol:

ETA: And it's only £499 off the DVLA website.
TheInsanity1234

Postby jont » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Now, would the insurance on a car go up if you put a cherished plate on it?

Because I'm wondering whether to go for a cherished plate to put on my first car.

X123 APW

APW being my initals, and X123 just being a combination of letter/numbers that is the most appealing to me :lol:

£499 would pay for a day and a half of coaching. Just saying :wink:
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 pm

jont wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Now, would the insurance on a car go up if you put a cherished plate on it?

X123 APW

£499 would pay for a day and a half of coaching. Just saying :wink:

But in this case, £499 pays for a pair of number plates which you can keep with you your whole life, and put on any car you want?

ETA:

But then the skills you learn under coaching would probably stay with you your whole life.
TheInsanity1234

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum