What car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:31 am

The whole of my family have personalised plates. It has never been an issue in connection with insurance. I very much like having them. Soon after the second world war my father wrote to the registration officer in Berkshire, the county which issued his initials, to say 'Please will you let me know when you are going to issue 1 AJB'? He got it, for free, some time in the fifties, and had it until he gave up driving about 60 years later. My son then sold it for him for £18k - so quite a good investment.

I have a slight worry that at some point the registration system may be Europeanised, but other than that a registration may still prove a good investment. A splendid reason to vote conservative at the general election, and to vote to leave the EU at the referendum which the conservatives have promised!
waremark

Postby superplum » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote: But then the skills you learn under coaching would probably stay with you your whole life.

If only!

:roll:
superplum

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:05 pm

waremark wrote:The whole of my family have personalised plates. It has never been an issue in connection with insurance. I very much like having them. Soon after the second world war my father wrote to the registration officer in Berkshire, the county which issued his initials, to say 'Please will you let me know when you are going to issue 1 AJB'? He got it, for free, some time in the fifties, and had it until he gave up driving about 60 years later. My son then sold it for him for £18k - so quite a good investment.

I'd love a personalised plate, simply because it would make my car "mine"!
My parents don't seem to be very accepting of it anyway :(
I said to them last night "I quite fancy having a personalised plate for whatever car I buy when I'm 17" and they both just immediately said "Oh, wait until you get a job earning loads of money, because they're very expensive!"

I think they weren't happy with the fact I said after that "But the plates I like are only £499"

They just seem to be very resistant of discussing my plans for post 17. Literally every time I open my mouth to say something about how much a car costs to insure is greeted with a groan and a comment that things will be different when I'm 17.

The most annoying thing has to be the fact that I've not once asked them to pay for anything for me. Not once have I said "I'm expecting you guys to do this for me".

I fully expect to pay for everything in relation to owning a car by myself, which is why I've worked out a budget and worked out how much I may reasonably expect to pay out per month, and how much I might spend per year.

It's fully possible with my DLA as my only income. I'm even prepared to get a job or something to cover the costs that the DLA cannot. I've told my parents all this, and they still greet any suggestion with a groan.

grrrrrrrrrrr.
[/rant]

I have a slight worry that at some point the registration system may be Europeanised, but other than that a registration may still prove a good investment. A splendid reason to vote conservative at the general election, and to vote to leave the EU at the referendum which the conservatives have promised!

Sadly, I cannot vote yet :lol:

superplum wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote: But then the skills you learn under coaching would probably stay with you your whole life.

If only!

Why not? :?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:46 pm

waremark wrote:The whole of my family have personalised plates.

I have an opinion on "vanity" plates. You won't like it. So I'll keep it to myself. :wink:
Silk

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Why anyone genuinely dedicated to improve their driving would spend money on personalised registrations rather than improving their driving escapes me.
MGF

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:58 pm

MGF wrote:Why anyone genuinely dedicated to improve their driving would spend money on personalised registrations rather than improving their driving escapes me.

That would depend upon ones disposable income at the end of the day though.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby superplum » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 pm

fungus wrote:
MGF wrote:Why anyone genuinely dedicated to improve their driving would spend money on personalised registrations rather than improving their driving escapes me.

That would depend upon ones disposable income at the end of the day though.[/quote

And their priorities!

:|
superplum

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:46 pm

superplum wrote:
fungus wrote:

That would depend upon ones disposable income at the end of the day though.

And their priorities!

:|

But there may be people who would rather buy a nice car than improve their driving.

It's the same thing :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Carbon Based » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Getting a nice car was what prompted me to improve my driving.
Carbon Based

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:03 pm

I'd love a private plate, but obviously the car comes first! :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:17 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd love a private plate, but obviously the car comes first! :lol:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to spend money on something only other people see and, when they do, mostly think you're a prize prat?
Silk

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:12 am

Silk wrote:
waremark wrote:The whole of my family have personalised plates.

I have an opinion on "vanity" plates. You won't like it. So I'll keep it to myself. :wink:

No doubt it goes along with your view of my choice to leave the dealer's sticker on the back window of my car. And it will upset me just as much!

Of course vanity, or something a bit like it, plays a part in my choice of my cars. I get enormous pleasure from the way they look - and the personalised registration plates make a contribution to that. I guess this must be an inherited value - both my parents and all my aunts and uncles had personalised registrations when I was a child, and my children also wanted to have them when they could. Insanity's desire for one is just part of wanting to take pride in the car he is going to have.

Ironically, in the population at large, you would find many more who think personalised registrations are worthwhile than those who think further driver training is worthwhile. For most drivers, I doubt that money is the main constraint which prevents them from investing in improving their driving - it is more the perception that there is nothing worthwhile to be gained from investment of either time or money in driver training. Most who buy personalised plates can probably well afford as much driver training as they want.
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 am

Maybe there will shortly be no more debate on the matter:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/469587 ... -EU-design

Personally I like the small degree of anonymity a standard number plate gives me. I don't want to be too highly visible thank you very much.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby trashbat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 am

You'll be pleased (or not) to know that was another made-up, anti-EU story.

Amongst other rebuttals: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-26975209
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd love a private plate, but obviously the car comes first! :lol:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to spend money on something only other people see and, when they do, mostly think you're a prize prat?

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to spend money on a expensive car with a premium badge, as only other people see the badge, and when they do, mostly think you're a prize prat?

Forget the Porsche, you may as well get a Pontiac.

It's the same argument, and it's the same response:

Different people have different priorities and tastes. Just because you despise private plates doesn't mean we all do.

Regarding the matter of outlawing private plates, I wouldn't think the government would want to do that, as private plates are a decent source of income, since there are people who find them desirable and would pay through the nose for them.

I like the concept of private plates, but I won't pay an extortionate figure for them.

Is that settled? :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum