What car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:You assume that I am a relatively normal teenage male.

You assume very wrongly. :mrgreen:

None of us are normal (shut up at the back!).
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 pm

dombooth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
dombooth wrote:To add to the supposed 'vanity' plates. I have a plate that you wouldn't know it's personal to me unless you knew me.
PC56 DOM

And I love it! I got it as a birthday present actually, and it suits the car beautifully.

Dom

You're not a copper are you?

No, I repair PC's.

Dom

I didn't think so, you don't seem like you'd be accepted by parking ticket machines.

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote:

None of us is normal. :wink:

Very good, sir.

:mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Well OP, despite the topic drift, any closer to a potential first car for yourself?
I assume you've also explored the outliers often suggested on PH, the ones rarely considered by new drivers?
Remember, if you're interested in driving, as you really appear to be, there's always satisfaction to be gained whatever the vehicle.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Well OP, despite the topic drift, any closer to a potential first car for yourself?
I assume you've also explored the outliers often suggested on PH, the ones rarely considered by new drivers?
Remember, if you're interested in driving, as you really appear to be, there's always satisfaction to be gained whatever the vehicle.

The ones I've narrowed it down to are:

Fiat Panda 100 HP (Or possibly the 4x4)

Renault Twingo (1.2 I believe)

Audi A2 SE (1.4 petrol)

Mazda2 TS2

Suzuki Swift GLX VVTS

Ford Fiesta (1.25 I think)

The only ones out of that list I would like in 5 door form are the Panda and the A2. The rest would be better off as 3 door variants.

But no, I've not considered many of the outliers really. I did notice a young driver somewhere driving a Fiat Qubo (the fiat mini-MPV based on a van), as it's so out of the range that it's bizarrely cheap.

However, it does come at a cost of being exceedingly uncool. So no thank you!

I took the advice of people on PH who suggested going for larger cars, such as Focii and Mondeos and the like, as they would be cheaper to insure than the usual 17-year-old cars, as not a lot of them would be crashed by teenagers.

Hah, a quote for a 2005 1.6 Mondeo LX came out at £2.7k.

A 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 Titanium came up at just under £2k. Why would I want those, when I can get a Panda for ~£500 less per year on insurance?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 pm

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote:

None of us is normal. :wink:

Don't be silly. Even Inspector Morse on one of his more pedantic days would've said, "are". It's a phrase in common usage and some would argue that "are" is correct as "none of us" as it's simply the opposite of "all of us". :wink:
Silk

Postby waremark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Silk wrote:
Don't be silly. Even Inspector Morse on one of his more pedantic days would've said, "are". It's a phrase in common usage and some would argue that "are" is correct as "none of us" as it's simply the opposite of "all of us". :wink:

How hard do you work to be controversial? And I by no means always agree with insanity.
waremark

Postby Grahar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Well OP, despite the topic drift, any closer to a potential first car for yourself?

The ones I've narrowed it down to are:

Fiat Panda 100 HP (Or possibly the 4x4)

Renault Twingo (1.2 I believe)

Audi A2 SE (1.4 petrol)

Mazda2 TS2

Suzuki Swift GLX VVTS

Ford Fiesta (1.25 I think)

The only ones out of that list I would like in 5 door form are the Panda and the A2. The rest would be better off as 3 door variants.

But no, I've not considered many of the outliers really. I did notice a young driver somewhere driving a Fiat Qubo (the fiat mini-MPV based on a van), as it's so out of the range that it's bizarrely cheap.

However, it does come at a cost of being exceedingly uncool. So no thank you!

I took the advice of people on PH who suggested going for larger cars, such as Focii and Mondeos and the like, as they would be cheaper to insure than the usual 17-year-old cars, as not a lot of them would be crashed by teenagers.

Hah, a quote for a 2005 1.6 Mondeo LX came out at £2.7k.

A 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 Titanium came up at just under £2k. Why would I want those, when I can get a Panda for ~£500 less per year on insurance?

Go for the one you find the most fun and comfortable to drive, providing the insurance is not too expensive! I haven't driven any of these, but putting myself back to when I was first buying cars, I would be drawn towards the Panda or the Renault as the most desirable.
Grahar

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Grahar wrote:Go for the one you find the most fun and comfortable to drive, providing the insurance is not too expensive! I haven't driven any of these, but putting myself back to when I was first buying cars, I would be drawn towards the Panda or the Renault as the most desirable.

They all cost about the same in insurance terms, ~£1.5k/a, apart from the Renault Twingo, which is ~£1.3k/a

But obviously, they all have vastly different performance figures.

Just out of curiosity, would you consider average quotes of £1.5k, comprehensive, 11k miles, no NCB, 17 y/o as owner and sole driver, as bleeding good, or eye-wateringly expensive?

I think they're pretty impressive when people keep talking about their insurance being about £5k+ for some rubbish 1.0 plastic thing?

I could get a 100 HP, 'sporty' Panda for just £1.5k a year insurance, and £2.5k purchase price.
TheInsanity1234

Postby dombooth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Grahar wrote:Go for the one you find the most fun and comfortable to drive, providing the insurance is not too expensive! I haven't driven any of these, but putting myself back to when I was first buying cars, I would be drawn towards the Panda or the Renault as the most desirable.

They all cost about the same in insurance terms, ~£1.5k/a, apart from the Renault Twingo, which is ~£1.3k/a

Just out of curiosity, would you consider average quotes of £1.5k, comprehensive, 11k miles, no NCB, 17 y/o as owner and sole driver, as bleeding good, or eye-wateringly expensive?

I think they're pretty impressive when people keep talking about their insurance being about £5k+ for some rubbish 1.0 plastic thing?

I could get a 100 HP, 'sporty' Panda for just £1.5k a year insurance, and £2.5k purchase price.

As you 'youngun' myself, £1.5k is very nice indeed. Get the Panda. ;)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I'd like to add that a Citroen C4 VT coupé is £1.6k/a to insure.

I've always had an hankering for the Citroen C4 coupés, I just find them extremely beautiful cars.

The only problem is, I like the VTS, but that's over 2k a year, whereas the VT is less to insure (obviously), but it isn't as delicious, if you get what I mean.
TheInsanity1234

Postby MGF » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:51 pm

It's a long time since I insured a car as a teenager but I am sure the costs were not so high relative to the cost of buying a cold hatchback.
MGF

Postby martine » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd like to add that a Citroen C4 VT coupé is £1.6k/a to insure.

I've always had an hankering for the Citroen C4 coupés, I just find them extremely beautiful cars.

The only problem is, I like the VTS, but that's over 2k a year, whereas the VT is less to insure (obviously), but it isn't as delicious, if you get what I mean.

Not wishing to be a boring old killjoy but the C4 VTS is a powerful car for a novice driver...might be best to hone your skills, do an AD course and then reward yourself with it then?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 pm

waremark wrote:How hard do you work to be controversial?

My view on "vanity" number plates is hardly controversial. In fact, I'd say I hold the majority view. After all, only a very small minority of cars have them. Most of the ones I see are on coaches, where the operator is trying to hide the age of the vehicle.

How could I have known that those who are mug enough to pay for them in the first place and pay an additional "tax" every time they transfer them to another car are disproportionately represented on this forum?
Silk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 pm

martine wrote:Not wishing to be a boring old killjoy but the C4 VTS is a powerful car for a novice driver...might be best to hone your skills, do an AD course and then reward yourself with it then?

To disagree, I'd have put it as, hone your skills by doing an AD course, then you should be capable of driving anything you can afford to insure.
I do assume that our Insanity will then abide by what is meant by AD.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Grahar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

I would say that there ok though still a big outlay! An 18 year old (deocorator/renovator) I was mentoring (IAM) owned a Corsa 1.0 (about 10 years old I think) and he amazed me by telling me that he was paying £3000 a year! He paid it because a car was crucial to his job.
Grahar

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum