What car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:09 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'd love a private plate, but obviously the car comes first! :lol:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to spend money on something only other people see and, when they do, mostly think you're a prize prat?

:roll:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to spend money on a expensive car with a premium badge, as only other people see the badge, and when they do, mostly think you're a prize prat?

A "vanity" plate is exactly that; vanity. It has no intrinsic value other than to show off how much money one has or, more often or not, how good their credit rating is.

I realise it may be a bit prejudiced, but whenever I see one of these plates, I can't help seeing the owner in a negative light. In my limited experience, those who have something to show off about don't need to show off.

I was going to keep my opinions to myself, and now look what you've made me do? :wink:
Silk

Postby waremark » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:52 am

Silk wrote:A "vanity" plate is exactly that; vanity. It has no intrinsic value other than to show off how much money one has or, more often or not, how good their credit rating is.

I realise it may be a bit prejudiced, but whenever I see one of these plates, I can't help seeing the owner in a negative light. In my limited experience, those who have something to show off about don't need to show off.

I was going to keep my opinions to myself, and now look what you've made me do? :wink:

Is choosing to have something which looks nice/individual/distinctive only ever about showing off? Do you wash, shave, wear nice clothes? Is your house decorated and does it have any ornaments? Do you clean your car? Is all that stuff only vanity and showing off?

Am I a fool for allowing you to wind me up? Don't answer that!

Insanity, I continue to be impressed by your knowledge and clear thinking. I agree that the government would be reluctant to give up the revenue generated by private plates - but they might one day be forced to by the EU. As I said before, a good reason to choose which way to vote in the General Election and the European Referendum which we are promised if the General Election goes the right way!

PS I look forward to seeing you at an ADUK day next year in a Panda 100!

By the way, my gliding club is a centre of gliding for the deaf (based at Dunstable). I have the greatest respect for those who can teach or learn driving or flying without verbal communication.
waremark

Postby trashbat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am

waremark wrote:Insanity, I continue to be impressed by your knowledge and clear thinking. I agree that the government would be reluctant to give up the revenue generated by private plates - but they might one day be forced to by the EU. As I said before, a good reason to choose which way to vote in the General Election and the European Referendum which we are promised if the General Election goes the right way!

I agree with the rest of your post, and will no doubt regret poking this, but it's not really a good reason, is it? Any more than say, the possibility the EU might blow up the Moon.

And who doesn't like the Moon?

(Another aside: today I saw the numberplate 'O7' - nothing else, and O as in orange. Bizarre!)
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Wee! *Rolls up sleeves and wades into this discussion* :lol:

Silk wrote:A "vanity" plate is exactly that; vanity. It has no intrinsic value other than to show off how much money one has or, more often or not, how good their credit rating is.

I kind of agree in a sense, as the majority of private plates are plastered on very expensive cars that demonstrate the wealth of the owner already. That can lead to views such as yours.

However, did you realise that there are quite a few vanity plates that look very much like normal plates?

For instance, a teacher at my school has a Range Rover Evoque, with the number plate of JM04 ROV. To the unobservant outsider, it would look like a normal plate. However, the J is the name of her husband, the M is her name, the 04 is the number of wheels, and the ROV is "Range Rover".

They've got a 3 wheeler Morgan with the plate of JM03 MOR (Or something like that).

It does mean there are a few plates out there that would seem like a normal plate, and therefore, you wouldn't realise that they were vanity plates, unless you knew the owner of the car.

waremark wrote:PS I look forward to seeing you at an ADUK day next year in a Panda 100!

If my parents do indeed allow me to buy one!

By the way, my gliding club is a centre of gliding for the deaf (based at Dunstable). I have the greatest respect for those who can teach or learn driving or flying without verbal communication.

I am actually able to speak and lipread, but I also use BSL, and the nice thing about BSL is that you can very quickly create very rudimentary signs with a simple meaning with no need to actually spend hours discussing how to do this and that.

As proved by my driving instructor, who will just use his fingers to tell me what gear I should be in (But I've gone past that stage anyway).
When he moves his hand in a circular motion falling forwards (towards the dashboard), that means to accelerate.
He uses his index finger, and points it in the direction that he wants me to go.
If he holds his hand out with the palm facing downwards, and moves it towards the floor, that means to slow down.

All very basic signs, created in about 3 minutes, but convey all the information needed for me to follow his instructions on the move.

trashbat wrote:I agree with the rest of your post, and will no doubt regret poking this, but it's not really a good reason, is it? Any more than say, the possibility the EU might blow up the Moon.

And who doesn't like the Moon?

Certainly not me! Annoying thing, moving the sea about and all that! ;) :mrgreen:

(Another aside: today I saw the numberplate 'O7' - nothing else, and O as in orange. Bizarre!)

Perhaps he wanted the plate of 007, but they didn't have it? :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 pm

theinsanity1234 wrote: As proved by my driving instructor, who will just use his fingers to tell me what gear I should be in (But I've gone past that stage anyway).
When he moves his hand in a circular motion falling forwards (towards the dashboard), that means to accelerate.
He uses his index finger, and points it in the direction that he wants me to go.
If he holds his hand out with the palm facing downwards, and moves it towards the floor, that means to slow down.

All very basic signs, created in about 3 minutes, but convey all the information needed for me to follow his instructions on the move.

What about when he claps both hands over his eyes?? :twisted:

I've actually got someone else's vanity plate on my MX5. Previous owner didn't bother to take it with them when s/he sold the car, and I'm damned if I'm paying to have it taken off. It's nothing very special anyway.
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:39 pm

skodatezzer wrote:
theinsanity1234 wrote: As proved by my driving instructor, who will just use his fingers to tell me what gear I should be in (But I've gone past that stage anyway).

What about when he claps both hands over his eyes?? :twisted:

I've actually got someone else's vanity plate on my MX5. Previous owner didn't bother to take it with them when s/he sold the car, and I'm damned if I'm paying to have it taken off. It's nothing very special anyway.

That means I've reached "Driving God" level, and as such, must continue in the exact same manner. :twisted:
TheInsanity1234

Postby MGF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:...As proved by my driving instructor, who will just use his fingers to tell me what gear I should be in (But I've gone past that stage anyway).

I use the same technique to tell other drivers they should be in 1st or 2nd gear. :)
MGF

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 pm

MGF wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:...As proved by my driving instructor, who will just use his fingers to tell me what gear I should be in (But I've gone past that stage anyway).

I use the same technique to tell other drivers they should be in 1st or 2nd gear. :)

I would actually tell my parents what gear they should be because they are lazy, and drive me mad with their constant engine labouring.

Our old car, the Clio, was quite happy to drive around at 30 in 4th gear, but the Yeti has been geared more for economy, and as a result, dislikes being in 4th whilst at 30. My parents, however, keep saying that when they learnt to drive, they were taught to get into 4th as soon as possible. This is extremely annoying, as it means they always labour the engine at 30, which is very unpleasant, as the whole car vibrates as if it was a bus idling, but my parents take no notice.

We also have a gearshift indicator in the Yeti, and it tells you the most economical gear for your speed. It's quite intelligent, as it takes into account rate of acceleration, load, gradient, throttle positioning, and lots of parameters. It tells us, however, that 3rd is the best gear for 30, and my parents ignore it routinely. :evil:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm

waremark wrote:Insanity, I continue to be impressed by your knowledge and clear thinking.

Would you be saying that if he didn't agree with you? :wink:
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Silk wrote:
waremark wrote:Insanity, I continue to be impressed by your knowledge and clear thinking.

I hope he would be reasonable enough to see that I am very knowledgeable and clear thinking, even if I was against his opinions! :lol:

One suspects you might not consider me so. ;)
TheInsanity1234

Postby dombooth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:54 pm

To add to the supposed 'vanity' plates. I have a plate that you wouldn't know it's personal to me unless you knew me.
PC56 DOM

And I love it! I got it as a birthday present actually, and it suits the car beautifully.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 am

dombooth wrote:To add to the supposed 'vanity' plates. I have a plate that you wouldn't know it's personal to me unless you knew me.
PC56 DOM

And I love it! I got it as a birthday present actually, and it suits the car beautifully.

Dom

You're not a copper are you?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:

I hope he would be reasonable enough to see that I am very knowledgeable and clear thinking, even if I was against his opinions! :lol:

I admire your confidence. It's a shame you're approaching the age where your clear thinking is likely to take temporary nose-dive. :wink:

TheInsanity1234 wrote:One suspects you might not consider me so. ;)

You can't be right all the time. :lol:
Silk

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
dombooth wrote:To add to the supposed 'vanity' plates. I have a plate that you wouldn't know it's personal to me unless you knew me.
PC56 DOM

Dom

You're not a copper are you?

No, I repair PC's.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:Would you be saying that if he didn't agree with you? :wink:

I admire your confidence. It's a shame you're approaching the age where your clear thinking is likely to take temporary nose-dive. :wink:

You assume that I am a relatively normal teenage male.

You assume very wrongly. :mrgreen:

TheInsanity1234 wrote:One suspects you might not consider me so. ;)

You can't be right all the time. :lol:

I'm never right. Living with 4 women has taught me that. :lol:
TheInsanity1234

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum