www.advanced-cycling.co.uk

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm sure I typed www.advanced-driving.co.uk into my web browser, but I seem to have found myself here. :(
Silk

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jameslb101 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Silk wrote:I'm sure I typed http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk into my web browser, but I seem to have found myself here. :(

Wait a second, first things first, you typed? As in, you don't use bookmarks? :shock:

:P
jameslb101

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

A useful definition
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am

jameslb101 wrote:
Silk wrote:I'm sure I typed http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk into my web browser, but I seem to have found myself here. :(

Wait a second, first things first, you typed? As in, you don't use bookmarks? :shock:

:P

I'm trying to improve my typing speed, so type everything out longhand. :wink:

I'm sure I typed it correctly, but this site seems to be full of militant cyclists, so I must have made a typographical error somewhere.
Silk

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:A useful definition

That link doesn't work.
Silk

Postby true blue » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Silk wrote:

That link doesn't work.

Works perfectly for me - the problem must be at your end!
true blue

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:36 pm

true blue wrote:
Silk wrote:

That link doesn't work.

Works perfectly for me - the problem must be at your end!

It works now.

Usually, when someone uses the word "bigot" on an Internet forum, it means they've lost the argument and all they have left is name-calling. If views are based on facts and experience, then they're not bigoted. As soon as I stop seeing cyclists routinely disobeying traffic laws, I'll change my opinion.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Did you read the definition?
Wikipedia wrote:Bigotry is a state of mind where a person views other groups with fear, distrust, prejudice or hatred solely on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics.

It sums up your attitude to cyclists - you hate them as a group, because they are cyclists. You don't distinguish between the safe, sensible, law-abiding ones (by any measure, the majority) and the ones you describe as "politically motivated lycra-clad twerps". Which attribute, hidden to the rest of us, allows you to distinguish political motivation from someone's clothing? How do you distinguish between the hundreds of YouTube clips from cyclists injured by the random, dangerous acts of unthinking or inattentive motorists, and those which you claim are "deliberately provoked"?

If you took your own head out of your arse, instead of writing insulting posts towards those who dare to expose your bigoted opinions, and posted like the rational individual you claim to be, and we know you are capable of being, you might earn more respect.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MGF » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Do bigots have a group characteristic?
MGF

Postby Silk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It sums up your attitude to cyclists - you hate them as a group.

Where have I said I hate cyclists? Clue: nowhere.
Silk

Postby revian » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I hope the heat has left this now.. :wink: so in peace times...

Why is Wikipedia the 'sure fount' of truth these days?

I don't think fear is a necessary part of bigotry at all.

I would prefer (still with some reservation) this leaning of definition :
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Back to my pedantic box 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:57 pm

revian wrote:I hope the heat has left this now.. :wink: so in peace times...

Why is Wikipedia the 'sure fount' of truth these days?

I don't think fear is a necessary part of bigotry at all.

I would prefer (still with some reservation) this leaning of definition :
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Back to my pedantic box 8)

Some people use the word bigot to describe people who don't agree with them. Especially if they have a little gang to back them up. Often it's the bigots who are the first to accuse others of bigotry.
Silk

Postby revian » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Silk wrote:Some people use the word bigot to describe people who don't agree with them. Especially if they have a little gang to back them up. Often it's the bigots who are the first to accuse others of bigotry.

With that I agree... Liberals being liberal isn't always a truism but sometimes an oxymoron...

8)
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:21 pm

revian wrote: Why is Wikipedia the 'sure fount' of truth these days?

Its publicly open and editable content helps to make it approximately unbiased. If bias is evident, someone will come along and either flag it or edit it out. The residue settles to something of a concensus.

I don't like cyclists who have no manners. I'm not keen on anyone who has no manners. Some people have perfectly acceptable social skills in person, but choose to be belligerent on an internet forum.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum