Managed Motorways - safety

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 am

zadocbrown wrote:
jont wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:I seem to think up here there is normally a red cross over the hard shoulder at all times it is not in use. A wise precaution.

Hmmm.
Hard shoul­der run­ning — "The hard shoul­der will be opened at busy times and the speed limit will be reduced. Do NOT use the hard shoul­der unless over­head signs show that you can do so"

This was with a solid line (normal hard shoulder style), rather than "all-lane running"

Yes, no red cross is strictly necessary. But it makes sense to use one over the hard shoulder if it is used as a running lane at other times. The clarity costs nothing (well virtually nothing) and may help the cerebrally challenged to work out where they should be....

Indeed - to quote one of my favourite quotes (sadly I didn't say it first): "It's a barbarity that clarity is such a rarity."
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Whoever wrote it, it's certainly a barbarity that such a short sentence has so many "ity" s in it! But I accept it's perspicuity and lucidity with alacrity.

My trip to West Mids Safari Park yesterday involved a demonstration of managed motorways. Hard shoulder running seems to confuse many motorists, as that 'lane' was largely empty. The slip road traffic lights that only allowed perhaps 6 or 8 cars at a time on to the motorway at a time may be a good idea, but the tailback behind them was horrendous and the vehicles joining the motorway didn't seem to enjoy any benefit. I'm sure there is a better way.
Gromit37

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum