Tax Discs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

TripleS wrote:
But as for 'uncool', I'm so uncool in so many ways, I've given up worrying about it; or at least I would have given up had I ever started. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

This is what makes you so cool... that and your profound wisdom! The good looks and charming, witty nature are just icing on the cake :mrgreen:
Gromit37

Postby TripleS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
But as for 'uncool', I'm so uncool in so many ways, I've given up worrying about it; or at least I would have given up had I ever started. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

This is what makes you so cool... that and your profound wisdom! The good looks and charming, witty nature are just icing on the cake :mrgreen:

All perfectly true. :wink:
TripleS

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:07 am

Gromit37 wrote:However, if the question being asked were "Why would somebody start a thread asking why tax discs had not been removed from cars a few days after new rules came in?" I would probably go for the third answer with the option of 'senility' just to cover the bases. :twisted:

I'm not sure why you'd take this view on a subject that's even been discussed on Radio 4. I suggest, if you do, you could always ignore the thread, rather than hijack it.

Although I can understand any of the three options I've given, I don't believe anyone would want to display an unnecessary label in their windscreen out of choice - it's untidy.
Silk

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Silk wrote:Although I can understand any of the three options I've given, I don't believe anyone would want to display an unnecessary label in their windscreen out of choice - it's untidy.

Some people are just untidy - it's life. Others take delight in being untidy to annoy others.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby gannet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote:
Although I can understand any of the three options I've given, I don't believe anyone would want to display an unnecessary label in their windscreen out of choice - it's untidy.

If you would care to give your address I'm sure some of us would come and drive up and down outside your house, displaying tax discs, just to annoy you.

that sounds like a plan :twisted:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Silk wrote:I'm not sure why you'd take this view on a subject that's even been discussed on Radio 4. I suggest, if you do, you could always ignore the thread, rather than hijack it.

I never understand why you'd start threads with the express intention of insulting, annoying and alienating other forum users, but you seem to find it an enjoyable occupation. I think you need to get another hobby...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 pm

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote:

If you would care to give your address I'm sure some of us would come and drive up and down outside your house, displaying tax discs, just to annoy you.

I'm flattered, but there really is no need.
Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I never understand.

Indeed.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Silk wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I never understand.

Indeed.

Perhaps you'd like to explain, then.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Silk wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:However, if the question being asked were "Why would somebody start a thread asking why tax discs had not been removed from cars a few days after new rules came in?" I would probably go for the third answer with the option of 'senility' just to cover the bases. :twisted:

I'm not sure why you'd take this view on a subject that's even been discussed on Radio 4. I suggest, if you do, you could always ignore the thread, rather than hijack it.

Well, I hadn't realised that Radio 4 is the accepted universal arbiter on all motoring subjects, but now I shall take great pains to avoid tuning in.

Untidy seems to be a fourth option , not previously mentioned. Perhaps you ought to reconsider your beliefs. Many cars display unnecessary labels in their windscreens, and not just tax discs.

As you pointed out, you "don't believe" something and seem to believe therefore that nobody else should . But then as pointed out in another thread, that makes you a bigot. Res ipsa loquitur.
Gromit37

Postby Silk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Gromit37 wrote:As you pointed out, you "don't believe" something and seem to believe therefore that nobody else should . But then as pointed out in another thread, that makes you a bigot. Res ipsa loquitur.

It's only a tax disc FFS. I don't know why you and that "Chummy" fellow are getting so worked up about it. It's simply an observation. I was expecting maybe around 30% of drivers to remove their tax discs in the first couple of weeks and was surprised that it seemed to be almost no one. I can't believe a sane person could possibly take offence at that. If it was anyone else who started the thread, I doubt it would have had the same negative reaction.

I tell you what, I'll make a deal with this forum. If I get more than 10 individual replies to this post requesting that I have nothing further to do with ADUK, I'll take the hint and leave you all in peace. Can't say fairer than that.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Silk wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:As you pointed out, you "don't believe" something and seem to believe therefore that nobody else should . But then as pointed out in another thread, that makes you a bigot. Res ipsa loquitur.

It's only a tax disc FFS. I don't know why you and that "Chummy" fellow are getting so worked up about it. It's simply an observation. I was expecting maybe around 30% of drivers to remove their tax discs in the first couple of weeks and was surprised that it seemed to be almost no one. I can't believe a sane person could possibly take offence at that. If it was anyone else who started the thread, I doubt it would have had the same negative reaction.

I tell you what, I'll make a deal with this forum. If I get more than 10 individual replies to this post requesting that I have nothing further to do with ADUK, I'll take the hint and leave you all in peace. Can't say fairer than that.

Well I ain't going to be one of the "more than 10." As far as I'm concerned your inputs here are fine. I don't agree with you all the time, but I'd rather you stayed.

Heh, it's more likely that my excessive clowning might lead some to feel I ought to have nothing more to do with ADUK. I expect there would be a lot more than 10 votes for that, no problem. :lol:

Well hard luck: I'm staying, albeit as a fairly infrequent participant.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby revian » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:43 pm

It's Saturday night... Doubt 10 can be arsed... :D

Took my disc off this week... Tidiness or OCD....
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:27 pm

I haven't taken mine off yet. I'm in between CBA and sentimental attachment. It's valid for another several months. When it expires I may remove it. This will involve removing the associated holder and clearing the windscreen of the sticky residue of the glue that holds it on. Yawn, and poo!

I'd rather the world just rubbed along together than feeling I'm being attacked for not doing something that's neither necessary or important. There are probably many other little jobs I'm guilty of not having completed, running into 100s. The tax disc thing falls waaaaaaaaaay down the list. I'd rather be out driving.

What I need is a round tuit ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby revian » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm hoping that the reminder system works in case I forget all about it. Out of sight - out of mind.
Wirral
revian

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum