Tax Discs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:15 pm

In spite of all the publicity, I'm surprised that, 8 days into abolition, almost every car I see is still displaying a tax disc. Why?

I ripped mine up and threw it in the bin at the earliest opportunity.
Last edited by Silk on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silk

Postby Albie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm going to do the same at the weekend. Im going to wait until then so i can give the glass a really good clean to get rid of any marks!
Albie

Postby triquet » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:29 pm

I shall wait until next time I clean the inside of the car. Probably about next February. :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I've never displayed any form of digital storage media on my car.
I have had tax discs.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Ta. :D
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby onlinegenie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:33 am

I can't be bothered to take it out - it's not doing any harm. And I'm leaving my tax disc holder in place for now because I emailed the IAM to suggest they make round paper badges available to members to fit into their now obsolete tax disc holders. They haven't replied, but if they do make one I'll buy it.
onlinegenie

Postby michael769 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 am

Silk wrote:In spite of all the publicity, I'm surprised that, 8 days into abolition, almost every car I see is still displaying a tax disc. Why?

Some people will not be aware of the change. it is surprising how many folks pay little attention to what they read/see in the media.

Some will be aware but will be unsure if it means they can remove it (I have heard several people say they believe that they have to keep the current disc in place).

Some will simply not think of it only being reminded by receiving a new disc which will not happen.

Some just won't see the point of bothering to do anything with it.

Some will be intending to but haven't got round to it.

I ripped mine up and threw it in the bin at the earliest opportunity.

So did I it was strangely satisfying, but my now empty windscreen looks odd.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:43 pm

My parents haven't bothered to take their tax discs out.

They're both just leaving it there until the disc expires, then they'll take it out.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Rick101 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 am

Can't understand how folk leave stuff till whenever.

If I have something to do, I do it as soon as I can. Can't relax knowing I've jobs to get done.
Rick101

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:58 am

I haven't bothered removing mine yet. While it now serves no purpose, it equally does no harm. I'll get round to it at some point, possibly (as others have said) next time I'm cleaning the inside of the windscreen properly.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:14 am

Rick101 wrote:Can't understand how folk leave stuff till whenever.

If I have something to do, I do it as soon as I can. Can't relax knowing I've jobs to get done.

Same here. If people can't be bothered to carry out such a simple task as removing a sticker from their windscreen, what else can't they be bothered to do? How about checking the oil, the tyres, the brakes, etc?
Silk

Postby triquet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:25 am

This has now become a challenge. I shall now leave it on ever .... :mrgreen:
Jim
triquet

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:22 am

StressedDave wrote:
Silk wrote:
Rick101 wrote:Can't understand how folk leave stuff till whenever.

Same here. If people can't be bothered to carry out such a simple task as removing a sticker from their windscreen, what else can't they be bothered to do? How about checking the oil, the tyres, the brakes, etc?

I think there's a vast difference between tasks that are necessary and those which are not. I'm fairly sure that my car will not implode and the Earth will not stop rotating if I chose not to remove a disc of paper from its holder and tear it into tiny strips and jump up and down on it before spraying it with lighter fluid and giving it a Viking funeral.

Get a grip...

Yeah but if all those things happen, you'll be to blame! im going to google a hypothetical situation of catastrophic proportions which matches your tax disc blocking that vital part of your windscreen. There's bound to be one.

I have two cars. One without a tax disc and one with, so I'm covered either way.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby michael769 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am

Kimosabe wrote:I have two cars. One without a tax disc and one with, so I'm covered either way.

OMG! Please tell me you don't!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby triquet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:42 am

Kimosabe wrote:Yeah but if all those things happen, you'll be to blame! im going to google a hypothetical situation of catastrophic proportions which matches your tax disc blocking that vital part of your windscreen. There's bound to be one.

It will probably involve one of those ludricous prone cycley things where the pilot lies about six inches above the road. He (or she) could creep up on your near side and hide in your tax disc blind spot
Jim
triquet

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum