Tax Discs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 pm

I must sdmit that I fail to see any direct link between your last comments and the fact that I still display a tax disc. I am up to date with motoring issues, my cars are in excellent condition and I can assure you that neither of those would automatically make me, or anybody else, a good driver. Neither would a tax disc indicate a bad driver. If you can show some kind of scientific or empirical correlation between them, please point to your sources. You may also like to give your definition of a good driver, although I suspect it might be as skewed as your other views.

Please continue, I do enjoy watching you dig a hole for yourself. You'll get to Australia before long.
Gromit37

Postby revian » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Welcome to Sydney...how can I help you?
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Gromit37 wrote:I must sdmit that I fail to see any direct link between your last comments and the fact that I still display a tax disc.

I wouldn't expect anyone who still rides a kids' trike to understand.

Let me try to explain. Every couple of years you see cars sporting England flags (usually for about a week). People who put these on their cars are not necessarily bad drivers, but I judge that driving is probably not their top priority and I try to avoid getting too close to them where possible. If someone goes to the trouble of removing a tax disc from their window as it's no longer required, then I make the judgement that they've at least given their driving a bit of thought. It all goes hand in hand you see.

Better drivers tend to have tidier cars and a tidy car has no room for stick on tat. There are obviously exceptions to this, but exceptions nonetheless.
Silk

Postby triquet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 pm

I have a modest proposal. It is clear that the abolition of tax discs is causing undue angst and argument, and this policy needs a rethink. I would propose that the tax disc should be replaced by a visual indicator that the tax has been paid in the form of small cubes that can be hung from the rear view mirror.

The cubes will have a number of dots in black on a white background that give an instant visual display of month and year. Modern technology would permit the degragation of the base material so that on expiry, the cubes become furry and will require renewal .... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Whilst this thread has provided a bit of fun, it does contain a serious concern.
That is, when will we consider that the computers have too much influence upon our Human existence?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Silk wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:I must sdmit that I fail to see any direct link between your last comments and the fact that I still display a tax disc.

I wouldn't expect anyone who still rides a kids' trike to understand.

Let me try to explain. Every couple of years you see cars sporting England flags (usually for about a week). People who put these on their cars are not necessarily bad drivers, but I judge that driving is probably not their top priority and I try to avoid getting too close to them where possible. If someone goes to the trouble of removing a tax disc from their window as it's no longer required, then I make the judgement that they've at least given their driving a bit of thought. It all goes hand in hand you see.

Better drivers tend to have tidier cars and a tidy car has no room for stick on tat. There are obviously exceptions to this, but exceptions nonetheless.

Sorry Silk, I don't see the hand in hand link you purport exists. I'm pretty sure nobody else does either. I have never displayed a flag on my car, but would you still make the same assertions if I and everybody on this forum did? I am still waiting for some definitive proof of your assertions. Or are you just spouting more crap? However if you make such judgements of a person's driving based on the presence or lack of a tax disc, I think you must be a pretty shallow person.

As for my kid's trike, I like it, and I always have four upright bikes if I want to be less comfortable, less efficient, slower and obviously less cool 8)

Keep digging, you're almost there.
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 pm

chriskay wrote:
triquet wrote:I have a modest proposal. It is clear that the abolition of tax discs is causing undue angst and argument, and this policy needs a rethink. I would propose that the tax disc should be replaced by a visual indicator that the tax has been paid in the form of small cubes that can be hung from the rear view mirror.

The cubes will have a number of dots in black on a white background that give an instant visual display of month and year. Modern technology would permit the degragation of the base material so that on expiry, the cubes become furry and will require renewal .... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or we could follow Magritte and have in the disc holder a disc on which is written, in large letters, the text "This is not a tax disc", and in small lettering "This is just to annoy Silk".

Now that is a REALLY good idea. We could could create a template for people to print off and display. Would that qualify as 'silk screen printing'? :oops:

What about a flag too?
Gromit37

Postby jont » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Whilst this thread has provided a bit of fun, it does contain a serious concern.
That is, when will we consider that the computers have too much influence upon our Human existence?

They already do. Yes, that's an ironic statement considering my day job :twisted:
jont

Postby Angus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm

I've got an Alfa - I need something to keep my RAC card handy...
Angus

Postby martine » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Angus wrote:I've got an Alfa - I need something to keep my RAC card handy...

:lol:
So continuing the thread-drift...is Alfa's 'tradition' of being unreliable behind them now?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby revian » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 pm

chriskay wrote:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/chriskay/P1000158.jpg

That's so wrong on a windscreen. It's at least 0.5 deg off horizontal 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm humbled. No, really. In fact, it's an honour.
Silk

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Silk wrote:

In fact we could go so far as having an official ADUK 'Honour Silk Day' where we all display a circular disc on their windscreens, in reverence to our esteemed colleague. :idea:

Angus and martine. Alfas are meant to be looked at, not driven. They would be better if you took the engine and electrics out and just left them on display in your driveway. Think of them as a giant Corgi toy, but not as sturdy. :wink:
Gromit37

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
Silk wrote:

In fact we could go so far as having an official ADUK 'Honour Silk Day' where we all display a circular disc on their windscreens, in reverence to our esteemed colleague. :idea:

Why do I only get one day? :shock:

Gromit37 wrote:Angus and martine. Alfas are meant to be looked at, not driven. They would be better if you took the engine and electrics out and just left them on display in your driveway. Think of them as a giant Corgi toy, but not as sturdy. :wink:

If they're meant to be looked at, why are they so ugly? What with that horrid protrusion at the front and the abomination of an interior.
Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 pm

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote:If they're meant to be looked at, why are they so ugly? What with that horrid protrusion at the front and the abomination of an interior.

It's because of such lack of aesthetic appreciation that you only get one day.

Everyone knows Alfa's are ugly. They just don't like to say. Reminds me of a well known fable.

I'll give up my one day, if I don't have to look at another Alfa.

Alfa drivers dare not remove the tax disc as it could be all that's holding it together.
Silk

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum