Tax Discs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Silk wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:And cool too! 8) *

Is being "cool" adequate compensation for looking like a prize prat? :wink:

Oh absolutely, if I worried how I look to other people I would never leave the house at all. At least I am a Prize prat, not just a plain, ordinary prat. One has to have some standards ya know :wink:
Gromit37

Postby michael769 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 am

triquet wrote:
I am intrigued. What are the advantages of the recumbant bike?

Some people with back problems cannot use a normal bike but can use these.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

michael769 wrote:
triquet wrote:

And they're all sandals and socks wearing, pipe smokers with beards called 'Clive', who wear shorts all winter and whose only friends they communicate with by morse code on ex navy carrier wave gear from the cupboard under the stairs dah dee dit dit dee dit dah dahh...dahh dit backache dahh dee dit dee dahh dahh dahh....dee recumbent with a flag dahh dee pipe dee Clive Sinclair C5.....

It's been one of those days. So why would anyone still display a tax disc again?
Last edited by Kimosabe on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Kimosabe wrote:So why would anyone still display a tax disc?

Because the current holder is glued to the screen with something that has bonded to the glass at a molecular level.
Carbon Based

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:So why would anyone still display a tax disc?

Because the current holder is glued to the screen with something that has bonded to the glass at a molecular level.

I bet recumbent cyclists don't have that problem. I'm slowly coming round to idea but don't call me Clive.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Well, despite the huge offence it may cause to some, and no doubt a lack of respect from those same parties, both my of my current cars still have tax discs attached to the windscreen. My third car, sold on the day the new rules came in to force, had a tax disc attached. My next third car may have one attached, and if so it may well stay there. The world has not, so far as I am aware, come to a sudden end because of this. I have not been visited by a band of armed policemen demanding I remove them under anti-terrorism laws. There have been no riots on my street demanding that they be removed. I paid for those tax discs with my own money and I shall display them to the world. If only to annoy Silk and his ilk.

Whilst some may consider me "lazy" for not removing them, my cars have regular tyre, oil and fluid checks as well as bodywork and lights. Perhaps there are just more important things to worry about than removing a non-critical piece of circular paper?

And I still get to look 'cool' riding a recumbent trike. Ner ner nee ner ner! :mrgreen:
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
michael769 wrote:
triquet wrote:

And they're all sandals and socks wearing, pipe smokers with beards called 'Clive', who wear shorts all winter and whose only friends they communicate with by morse code on ex navy carrier wave gear from the cupboard under the stairs dah dee dit dit dee dit dah dahh...dahh dit backache dahh dee dit dee dahh dahh dahh....dee recumbent with a flag dahh dee pipe dee Clive Sinclair C5.....

Damn you. Apart from smoking a pipe, you're spot on! I can't afford the radio gear so I use smoke signals instead. I might be more successful at it... if my flat had a chimney :oops:
Gromit37

Postby bbllr87 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Kimosabe wrote: beards called 'Clive'

Not sure I know of anyone who admits to naming their beard!! :wink:
Anita.
IAM Member since 2004. Love driving with roof down, just not in traffic jams!
Crew member in Clipper 13-14 Round the World Yacht Race.
Check out my blog at http://anitasailsagain.com
bbllr87

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Driving a diesel car is UNCOOL....

Sphericals! :P
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:10 am

TripleS wrote:

Ok, uncool unless you're TripleS. I bet you could make anything look cool you old smoothie 8)

But if you want to be the ultimate in cool... buy a recumbent trike :mrgreen:
Gromit37

Postby jcochrane » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:11 am

Kimosabe wrote:
michael769 wrote:
triquet wrote:

It's been one of those days. So why would anyone still display a tax disc again?

Had trouble reading your morse message..if it had been dah di dah dit, dah dah di dah then I would know you were putting out a general call to all stations. :lol: The only part of you description that applies to me is I do have socks. Oh yes and some radio gear but not under the stairs.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Silk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Kimosabe wrote:So why would anyone still display a tax disc again?

Ignorance, laziness, stupidity (delete as appropriate).
Silk

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Silk wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:So why would anyone still display a tax disc again?

Ignorance, laziness, stupidity (delete as appropriate).

Personally I would delete all three, and put a fourth answer in their place. But you are of course welcome to draw your own conclusions. If you would care to attribute one of the three to me publicly, in this forum, feel free.

However, if the question being asked were "Why would somebody start a thread asking why tax discs had not been removed from cars a few days after new rules came in?" I would probably go for the third answer with the option of 'senility' just to cover the bases. :twisted:
Gromit37

Postby Mike H » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Our four vehicles still have their tax discs on display. They are all still valid, so no issue with displaying them.

As for the OP ripping his up and throwing it away, there's an article in the Telegraph today about the 'defunct' tax discs now being advertised on the bay of E with asking prices of £1000-£1500, but some are already fetching more than £40.
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby TripleS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Ok, uncool unless you're TripleS. I bet you could make anything look cool you old smoothie 8)

But if you want to be the ultimate in cool... buy a recumbent trike :mrgreen:

Heh, I'm not sure that would work for me: I'd probably not be able to get upright again!

But as for 'uncool', I'm so uncool in so many ways, I've given up worrying about it; or at least I would have given up had I ever started. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum