"Fall in love with driving again"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm

That was the tagline of the Toyota Auris Hybrid advert.

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you think the appropriate chariot for an act of falling in love with driving is a Toyota Hybrid...?

*facepalm*
TheInsanity1234

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 pm

The same logic applies to cars from most manufacurers. Vauxhall with their abysmal Corsa adverts, BMW and their 'ultimate driving machine' hyperbole spring to mind, as well as that ridiculous SEAT advert with the child and his toy spaceship in his father's new car. The last lot of Chrysler adverts used to make me cringe! They all try to sell you a ridiculous fallacy that bears no resemblance to reality. Most modern cars are soulless, overweight piles of boredom with less character than a chicken nugget.

If you wanted the ultimate driving machine, it certainly wouldn't have a BMW, Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan or VAG badge on the front. Maybe we need a thread about cars with character?
Gromit37

Postby Gareth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Gromit37 wrote:that ridiculous SEAT advert with the child and his toy spaceship in his father's new car.

I'd much rather have an Eagle Transporter than any SEAT 8)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Gareth wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:that ridiculous SEAT advert with the child and his toy spaceship in his father's new car.

I'd much rather have an Eagle Transporter than any SEAT 8)

Me too, but you're showing your age there! :)
Gromit37

Postby Angus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Gromit37 wrote: If you wanted the ultimate driving machine, it certainly wouldn't have a BMW, Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan or VAG badge on the front. Maybe we need a thread about cars with character?

I don't know about "ultimate driving machine", but I'd be happy with a BMW 1 or 2 series, Toyota GT86 or Chrysler 300C.

I concede your point about Nissan and VAG
Angus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:38 pm

If you want a car with some passion, always go for an old Italian car.

To be quite frank, I think the whole thing that gives a car its character is how many faults it's got! :mrgreen:

I can say that my mum's Clio which would often throw a typically French fit every time we asked it to do anything. It worked, of course, but only grudgingly.

However, my dad's Galaxy, which has been faultless for a long time, and always starts up with no problem, even after sitting still for so long it has green plant life growing out of the wing mirrors! :lol:

However, I was sad to see the Clio go. But I'm absolutely certain I wouldn't give a damn if the Galaxy were to give up the ghost (but it probably never will).

I think perhaps if we look through our car history, the ones that were always winding us up about something or other are probably the ones we miss the most.

Would the same apply to yourselves?

I must say, I do love the Chrysler 300C. It may not have character, but it certainly does have presence!
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:That was the tagline of the Toyota Auris Hybrid advert.

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you think the appropriate chariot for an act of falling in love with driving is a Toyota Hybrid...?

*facepalm*

Marketing fluff and have pity on the poor souls tasked with trying to get this to the consumers' attention.
Of course, it could be that they, with all their knowledge and research about consumers' behaviours, might have pitched it correctly.
Funny old world, the one of marketing but I doubt character through faults is high on most consumers' wishlist.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:That was the tagline of the Toyota Auris Hybrid advert.

*facepalm*

If all you do is city driving, the Toyota is fantastic. It'd even fun to drive. The electric motor gives effortless acceleration from a standing start and the auto gearbox is about as good as it gets (really, it is).

If I only drove in cities, I'd have one in preference to pretty much anything else.
Silk

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:22 am

Angus wrote:I don't know about "ultimate driving machine", but I'd be happy with a BMW 1 or 2 series, Toyota GT86 or Chrysler 300C.

I concede your point about Nissan and VAG

Whilst the GT86 is a step in the right direction, the BMWs are pretty bland and the 300C is a gaudy, squashed Bentley lookalike with all the taste and quality removed. Regulations have ruined car designs, increased weight and reduced practicality, albeit for a safer cocoon around you.

I do think that the Alfa 4C is a beautiful design, as is the aging Lotus Elise and the Evora. Some Jaguars and Astons are very pretty, but big. I'm sure they are all good to drive in their own ways, although electric power steering is a bug bear. But they are all niche cars. Few mainstream cars seem to evoke any real emotion.

Whilst effortless torque and a good automatic transmission may please some people, any who believe that either electric or hybrid cars are a step forward are seriously deluded. Current battery technology is not up to the task. Weight penalties are severe, range is limited, ultimate battery life is limited to a few years and the environmental issues are huge. But people only see the glossy advertising and short term 'benefits'. Bio fuels are a probably a better overall long term strategy.
Gromit37

Postby Rick101 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 am

I have to disagree. I think electric vehicles are going to get more and more popular over the next 5-10 years. The pace of technology is phenomenal.

Character, excitement and drama, not much, but the masses want efficient cheap and hassle free motoring, and when that infrastructure is in place you'll see a many more EV's on the road. I'm sure of it.

Whats the point in a fire breathing V8 when you're sat in the back reading a book. :)
I'm expect the tech to be here long before the legislation is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0
Rick101

Postby jont » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:11 pm

StressedDave wrote:I would have been happy with anything until someone gave me a MP4-12C for an afternoon.

But a sheddy MX-5 with the right suspension and 14" wheels can out-handle it surely? :twisted:
jont

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Rick101 wrote:I have to disagree. I think electric vehicles are going to get more and more popular over the next 5-10 years. The pace of technology is phenomenal.

Firstly , let me say that I am not some eco-warrior who waves "Save the planet" banners on protest marches. Far from it. However, despite appearances, I do have at least two brain cells that work.

I have no doubt they will get more popular, nor that charging points will become ubiquitous. My contention is that batteries are not the environmentally friendly alternative people think they are. I doubt the 'fun' factor will last long and I certainly doubt anybody will fall in love with driving when they have to contend with electric or hybrid vehicles for everyday use.

When you have a hybrid car, if you only use batteries, you carry the weight of an engine and fuel around, reducing range and performance. When you only use the engine, you carry the weight of all those batteries and a motor, reducing range and performance and kicking out more CO2 than if the car were lighter. Cars are heavy enough already, without batteries adding to the problem. Weight kills performance, economy and handling, a fact not lost on car manufacturers, but still they persist with this 'fashionable' idea.

Pick up a laptop computer battery and feel the weight. Then multiply by several hundred. Ouch. What processes are needed to produce a car battery? How 'eco' is the process? What is the life expectancy? How do you dispose of them? If they die after a couple of years hard use, who is responsible for replacing them? Are they consumables like most other batteries? Charging batteries takes how long?

We need to wait a long time before going down the hybrid route. In the meantime, adapting current cars to run on bio fuels and adapting the current infrastructure would be far simpler and cheaper. Growing fuel has to be better than refining fossil fuels, making batteries and trying to install charging points everywhere. Oil is already scarce. Balance out emissions from the exhaust with the benefits of renewable fuel that absorbs CO2 whilst growing. Fewer oil rigs and ships transporting oil, equipment and people to far flung places because vast swathes of the planet could be used to grow fuel. A few more wind farms and suddenly oil and coal reserves will last longer. But not forever.

Until then, I will drive my petrol cars that I find aesthetically appealing and reasonable fun to drive on interesting roads, even if they don't have big engines, shed loads of power and torque or amazing economy. Coz I luv driving. 8)
Gromit37

Postby Rick101 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:58 pm

I agree that the new EV's aren't as 'eco' as they are made out to be, I honestly don't think that will make a difference to most people. As soon as they become affordable and the charging infrastructure improves, they'll sell by the bucket load.

Have you driven a Tesla? They are pretty amazing.
Rick101

Postby jont » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Rick101 wrote:I agree that the new EV's aren't as 'eco' as they are made out to be, I honestly don't think that will make a difference to most people. As soon as they become affordable and the charging infrastructure improves, they'll sell by the bucket load.

Have you driven a Tesla? They are pretty amazing.

Wait until the government spots the loss in revenue from petrol/diesel and sticks it on electricity instead. Besides, our generation capacity is already stretched. Hooking up lots of EVs isn't going to do it any favours.
jont

Postby Rick101 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:08 pm

I don't know if that's going to be as easy as it sounds.

No doubt electricity usage is going to rocket, but can the government just raise electric tax as some people run electric cars. Don't think there is a way to differentiate and massively increasing taxes on something that is basically a necessity these days would surely be a very bad move.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I genuinely think this is the time for electric vehicles, the tech is there, even F1, Le Mans and the TT are running electric or hybrid classes now. The road cars work well and are prestigious enough for big investment. I for one an very much looking forward to the smaller model tesla plan to release in the next year or two.

P. S I'll still be keeping my weekend toy for real driving, noise and fun!
Rick101

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum