"Fall in love with driving again"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Rick101 wrote:I have to disagree. I think electric vehicles are going to get more and more popular over the next 5-10 years. The pace of technology is phenomenal.

Character, excitement and drama, not much, but the masses want efficient cheap and hassle free motoring, and when that infrastructure is in place you'll see a many more EV's on the road. I'm sure of it.

Whats the point in a fire breathing V8 when you're sat in the back reading a book. :)
I'm expect the tech to be here long before the legislation is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0

It won't affect the deaf as they are usually more observant than people with full hearing, but judging the way many people with normal hearing cross the road, expect pedestrian casualties to increase.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Rick101 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:06 am

I understand all models from next year will be required to have engine noise.

Wondering if you can have selectable, 4 pot diesel or thunderous V12 :lol:
Rick101

Postby Gareth » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:57 am

Gromit37 wrote:Growing fuel

I wonder about the land use trade-off - is there enough suitable land to grow fuel as well as food?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:Growing fuel

I wonder about the land use trade-off - is there enough suitable land to grow fuel as well as food?

Assuming a hybrid fossil/bio fuel, which is the most likely form initially, converting land to grow fuel would be cheaper than building oil exploration/drilling rigs and trawling the globe to find new reserves. Where the money comes from is likely to be the problem. Grain mountains would disappear though, and subsidies to farmers who currently struggle to sell their produce could help pay for conversion. It needs a united political effort. As a small island, yes, we may struggle to find room, but that will be the case for food too. Besides there is an overproduction of so many foods. Renewable energy has to be better in the long run than where we are currently heading.
Gromit37

Postby Carbon Based » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Carbon Based

Postby watts93 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Carbon Based wrote:Or this:

No electricity at night?
watts93

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't understand why nobody has hit on the idea of having batteries in the car for local driving, but when you join the motorway, you can have a pole that extends upwards above your car and connects to a massive net that sends you power to run your electric motor and charges your battery too?
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I don't understand why nobody has hit on the idea of having batteries in the car for local driving, but when you join the motorway, you can have a pole that extends upwards above your car and connects to a massive net that sends you power to run your electric motor and charges your battery too?

That'd be a "Trolleycar", older readers will understand.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I don't understand why nobody has hit on the idea of having batteries in the car for local driving, but when you join the motorway, you can have a pole that extends upwards above your car and connects to a massive net that sends you power to run your electric motor and charges your battery too?

Nah, that'd be a dodgem, wouldn't it? :P
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 am

skodatezzer wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

Nah, that'd be a dodgem, wouldn't it? :P

Well, as our resident Insane one referenced Motorways, you're probably more correct than I.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby revian » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Indeed... :lol: or in the NE...trolley bus. Complete with a long pole to reattach the connection.
Wirral
revian

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Nottingham is in the process of expanding it's tram network. If only we could take advantage of that with our trolley cars. Of course it doesn't cover the local motorways, but all those batteries being charged means you get more than 15 miles out of a charge. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

The first phase started running in 2004 after a very long gestation and construction period. The consruction of the second phase of the tram is causing havoc with traffic and has been for a long time. Considering the excellent bus services we already have, I can't imagine them breaking even for many, many years. It is already delayed and over budget.

A local radio had a spot about the old tram system, which ran from 1875 to 1936. They were looking at photgraphs showing the same roads in 1938, again causing havoc, but this time it was the congestion caused by the digging up and dismantling of the tram system.

Going round in circles, causing havoc and spending hundreds of millions in the process. That's progress eh?
Gromit37

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Nottingham is in the process of expanding it's tram network.

Nottingham has to be the number one car hating city in the UK.
Silk

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Silk wrote:Nottingham has to be the number one car hating city in the UK.

Have you been to Brighton recently?
Carbon Based

Postby kwaka jack » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:13 pm

I came across this today while waiting for the car...apparently parking sensors make parking a pleasure?? :roll:

kwaka jack

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum