"Fall in love with driving again"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
Silk wrote:Nottingham has to be the number one car hating city in the UK.

Have you been to Brighton recently?

Oh yeah, forgot about Brighton. Haven't been there for a while.

So, Nottingham *and* Brighton. Oh, and possibly Oxford, and Bath. Quite a lot of them really.

Nottingham still stands out for me. Takes ages to even get to it from the M1, almost nowhere to park and the streets are full of beggars. Even the feeble attempt to associate the city with Robin Hood hasn't done anything to help.
Silk

Postby jont » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Silk wrote:
Carbon Based wrote:

So, Nottingham *and* Brighton. Oh, and possibly Oxford, and Bath. Quite a lot of them really.

Nottingham still stands out for me. Takes ages to even get to it from the M1, almost nowhere to park and the streets are full of beggars. Even the feeble attempt to associate the city with Robin Hood hasn't done anything to help.

Nah, Bristol still has to be pick of the bunch. Although they seem to equally hate motorists, bus users, cyclists (and local residents). I still maintain they'd save a lot of time and money sticking up some signs on the city boundary saying "Bristol is full. Go away"
jont

Postby fungus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

revian wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I don't understand why nobody has hit on the idea of having batteries in the car for local driving, but when you join the motorway, you can have a pole that extends upwards above your car and connects to a massive net that sends you power to run your electric motor and charges your battery too?

That'd be a "Trolleycar", older readers will understand.

Indeed... :lol: or in the NE...trolley bus. Complete with a long pole to reattach the connection.

It's not just the NE. that had trolley buses.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Photos+of+t ... ournemouth
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Bristol had trams...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mike H » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Whilst on a nostalgia trip, I spent my childhood three doors from this trolleybus 'turning point':

http://www.trolleybus.net/fullsize/jane/303.jpg

Somewhere I have some black and white pics I took in May 1962 of the last days of the trolleybus before being replaced by the Routemaster (which was an icon in itself).
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:36 pm

jont wrote:I still maintain they'd save a lot of time and money sticking up some signs on the city boundary saying "Bristol is full. Go away"

Looks like you've taken the hint. :wink:

But seriously, Bristol is one of the best cities for road access as well as being a great city in many other ways. At least until His Georgeness has the M32 dismantled to make way for an aerial cycle path.
Silk

Postby Angus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Silk wrote: Nottingham has to be the number one car hating city in the UK.

Pretty good at hiding its bus lane notifications too :evil:
Angus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Silk wrote:
Carbon Based wrote:

What's that city (or large town) which is infamous for it's cackhanded attempt at a one way system that takes you in circles around the city centre, but never allows you anywhere near the centre?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 am

Just a few minutes walk from my home is the A52. One of the busiest roads in Notts. It's a short stretch of three lanes in either direction. Heading out of Nottingham, it turns in to a two lane dual carriageway. The other way, in to Nottingham, it become a single lane, for perhaps a mile, before opening out to a 2 lane dual carriageway again. The main artery through Nottingham comes to a standstill because of that one pinch point, with huge tailbacks at rush hour. With the tram works, it is just unbelievably slow throughout the whole day.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/A52-Brian ... story.html

Road planners need to be lined up against a wall and shot. It is absolutely ludicrous. Instead of building tram systems, the money should be spent on resurfacing our abysmal roads and pavements and making our road system usable.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... :evil:
Gromit37

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Road planners need to be lined up against a wall and shot. It is absolutely ludicrous. Instead of building tram systems, the money should be spent on resurfacing our abysmal roads and pavements and making our road system usable.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... :evil:

But of course, factilitating car transport isn't very helpful to the sky, is it?

We have to use trams as it'll help make the sky feel better again.

And because I'm an eco-mentalist, I'll ignore the millions of gallons of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere in the process of building the tram system and causing lots of jams resulting in a lot of idling cars pumping out the CO2.

~ Summary of the general eco argument for tram systems and all of that nonsense.
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum