Larger Roundabouts Query

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Holu » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 am

Hi everyone! Perhaps a bit of a long first post, but here goes.

Yesterday I came across a situation on a traffic-light controlled roundabout that has made me doubt my understanding of them - let me explain...

Note: Images from Google Street View & Bing Maps - they don't reflect the traffic situation at the time.

I was waiting in the queue in the right hand lane to get onto the M6 (N), as shown below - this was labelled M6 (N). There were multiple cars in the left lane too (labelled A5013 ECSL & M6 (N)).

The traffic began to move, and once past the A5013 ECSL exit, I noticed a car in the outer lane in my left door mirror - about half a car behind. I hadn't seen this before on this roundabout - most people seem to take the right hand lane for the M6 (N). At this point they appeared to back off (I'm guessing they had noticed my signal). I figured that they were going for the M6 (N) exit too, so I exited onto the right hand lane on the sliproad.

I glance in my left mirror to make sure I can move back into the left, and noticed the car from the outer lane continued around the roundabout. However, because they'd slowed down to let me exit, the traffic in the right hand lane (which was originally right behind me) had also needed to slow down so that the car in the outer lane could continue around the roundabout.

This has brought up a bit of a query for me:

With there being two lanes marked as M6 (N), should the normal action to take be:
left lane => left lane on slip road
right lane => right lane on slip road (unless no traffic in the outside lane, of which then go straight to the left lane on the slip road).

While this seems a somewhat logical approach, it doesn't seem to function very well if anyone in the left lane wishes to continue past the exit (as pictured above).

Alternatively, should the M6 (N) traffic from both lanes have merged roughly into single-file on the outside lane by the time the exit has reached (just like a normal single carriageway exit)?

For anyone curious, this is the Stafford North junction roundabout.
Holu

Postby ROG » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 am

Car driver in left lane going across the exit was wrong

If they had got in the wrong lane and needed to change their mind then they can do so but only if it does not cause any issues to other road users

you can often find large vehicles doing what the car did but they should make their intentions very clear to other road users and not cause issues
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 am

Yes I've had drivers do exactly the same thing but because I was aware of their presence next to me I have either backed off or got in front, so as not to be alongside at the crucial pinch point. It's good practice where possible not to be alongside other vehicles on roundabouts...can't always be done easily if it's busy but early indication and plenty of shoulder checks help.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Holu wrote:With there being two lanes marked as M6 (N), should the normal action to take be:
left lane => left lane on slip road
right lane => right lane on slip road

This, exactly. There is no compunction to move to the left lane on the on-slip if you enter using the right; if you think you might be holding up faster vehicles behind, it would be courteous to do so.

If there is no traffic you can use whichever part of the road you like, cutting through the lanes to minimise the sideways forces acting on the car.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Holu » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:22 am

Thanks for the replies - that's really cleared things up for me. I'll keep in mind to create and maintain a decent space between me and anything in the other lane before my exit.

Gareth wrote:There is no compunction to move to the left lane on the on-slip if you enter using the right; if you think you might be holding up faster vehicles behind, it would be courteous to do so.

If there is no traffic you can use whichever part of the road you like, cutting through the lanes to minimise the sideways forces acting on the car.

Thanks for the tip! I've always tended to move back to the left since that's the "default" position, but I'll give that a go when the opportunity arises.
Holu

Postby triquet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 am

The other problem I find is that people will make sudden and unexpected manouevres blindly following the voice in the idiot box aka the SatNav. The voice is for guidance only, you shouldn't treat the instructions as orders. :shock:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby vonhosen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 am

triquet wrote:The other problem I find is that people will make sudden and unexpected manouevres blindly following the voice in the idiot box aka the SatNav. The voice is for guidance only, you shouldn't treat the instructions as orders. :shock:

The road markings are for guidance only too.

a) Get to the outside in good time for your exit.
b) Be aware of everybody around you because some may be out of position for where they want to go.
c) Be ready to go around again if you haven't been able to do a) & b) is applicable.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:25 pm

A fair number of people I have come across never think of c), and cut across several lanes of traffic to get to their exit, rather than go round again. Some people even stop on roundabouts waiting for someone to let them in to the lane they want, blocking a moving lane in the process.
Gromit37

Postby fungus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:37 pm

vonhosen wrote:a) Get to the outside in good time for your exit.
b) Be aware of everybody around you because some may be out of position for where they want to go.
c) Be ready to go around again if you haven't been able to do a) & b) is applicable.

Should be what ADIs are teaching learners, but as Gromit37 said, most drivers don't consider option c.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Return to General Car Chat Forum