Have you filmed a crash or near miss? ITV wants your footage

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ITVCaughtOnCamera » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 am

For a brand new primetime show about UK road crashes, near misses, scrapes and escapes, ITV are looking for footage filmed on dash cams and helmet cams by road users across the country.

As well as featuring the clips themselves, we are looking to tell the stories behind some of these clips, and speak to those involved.

Please get in touch if you have a clip you think we could use in the show. We'd also like to know if you might be interested in appearing on camera to talk through your experiences.

Please contact us at caughtoncamera@itn.co.uk - we look forward to hearing from you
ITVCaughtOnCamera

Postby jont » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:17 pm

One thread on the topic is more than enough. I've deleted the duplicates (thanks for the reports).
jont

Postby hir » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 pm

mefoster wrote:Wow! The very definition of "car crash television".

Isn't it dumbed down enough already without adding to it?

Déjà vu:

1967... The Guild of Television Producers and Directors in a memorandum addressed to the Independent Television Authority stated that some ITV programmes, "underestimate the intelligence of the viewer by being geared to the lowest common denominator of humour, taste, and ability to participate."

2014... plus ça change!
hir

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 pm

It's cheap to produce though and that's the point, along with the "reality" and sensational aspect.
An imaginative TV producer could though attempt something more challenging, such as taking a random cross section of drivers and following them through undertaking an AD course, with some extra "delights" to sex it up for TV.
Those "delights" might be some time with a Police school, track time both race and rally, skidpan stuff, foreign places with adverse conditions, oh and, A&E.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby waremark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:59 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:It's cheap to produce though and that's the point, along with the "reality" and sensational aspect.
An imaginative TV producer could though attempt something more challenging, such as taking a random cross section of drivers and following them through undertaking an AD course, with some extra "delights" to sex it up for TV.
Those "delights" might be some time with a Police school, track time both race and rally, skidpan stuff, foreign places with adverse conditions, oh and, A&E.

How would you suggest making good watchable TV out of teaching AD? If you were given a 5 minute slot on Top Gear how would you use it? Honest question. I am obsessed by AD, and I still find most AD videos boring.
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 am

Programmes of the 'Police camera action' sort have probably done more harm to the more educated driving business than just about anything else.
In addition these programmes have done little or nothing to enhance the reputation of the police themselves IMO.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby michael769 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:26 am

waremark wrote:How would you suggest making good watchable TV out of teaching AD? If you were given a 5 minute slot on Top Gear how would you use it? Honest question. I am obsessed by AD, and I still find most AD videos boring.

The standard approach is to up the drama and tension with narration and careful editing.

All you need is an associate who is highly strung and prone to bad days and good days, combines with a blunt and forthright Observer. Add some careful schooling of the Observer by the Director,edit it to emphasise the ups and downs into a roller coaster ride, and you would have a fairly typical "low rent" reality series. For example:

Epidsode 3: Last week Gary was really struggling with BGOL. If he cannot manage at least one full separation soon, he may have to give up on his dream of becoming an Advanced Driver. Tune in to see if Gary realise his dream by separating his gears from his brakes.

Episode 4: Having finally mastered separating his gears, Gary now needs to prove that he can pull before he pushes. As a died in the wool Fixed Input aficionado, completely re-learning how to steer his car is proving to be the greatest challenge of his life. The stakes are high, without this he may have to give up on his hopes to obtain insurance that he can afford to pay of in 1 year. With debts mounting the pressure is on. Tune in to see if Gary can finally steer his car to his Observers satisfaction.

Episode 5: Tensions rise as Gary and Brian disagree on the correct time to use fixed input. Gary has discovered on the internet that many Advanced Drivers advocate Fixed Input, but Brian is a "by the book" observer and has no truck with new fangled ideas like the internet. Can Brian convince Gary of the importance of pull push? Will Gary decide to switch to the competitors to continue his journey? Tune in to find out!

Not sure the result would give an entirely accurate account of the typical journey towards AD though.
Last edited by michael769 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby hir » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 am

michael769 wrote:
waremark wrote:How would you suggest making good watchable TV out of teaching AD? If you were given a 5 minute slot on Top Gear how would you use it? Honest question. I am obsessed by AD, and I still find most AD videos boring.

The standard approach is to up the drama and tension with narration and careful editing.

All you need is an associate who is highly strung and prone to bad days and good days, combines with a blunt and forthright Observer. Add some careful schooling of the Observer by the Director,edit it to emphasise the ups and downs into a roller coaster ride, and you would have a fairly typical "low rent" reality series. For example:

Epidsode 3: Last week Gary was really struggling with BGOL. If he cannot manage at least one full separation soon, he may have to give up on his dream of becoming an Advanced Driver. Tune in to see if Gary realise his dream by separating his gears from his brakes.

Episode 4: Having finally mastered separating his gears, Gary now needs to prove that he can pull before he pushes. As a died in the wool Fixed Input aficionado, completely re-learning how to steer his car is proving to be the greatest challenge of his life. The stakes are high, without this he may have to give up on his hopes to obtain insurance that he can afford to pay of in 1 year. With debts mounting the pressure is on. Tune in to see if Gary can finally steer his car to his Observers satisfaction.

Episode 5: Tensions rise as Gary and Brian disagree on the correct time to use switched input. Gary has discovered on the internet that many Advanced Drivers advocate Fixed Input, but Brian is a "by the book" observer and has no truck with new fangled ideas like the internet. Can Brian convince Gary of the importance of pull push? Will Gary decide to switch to the competitors to continue his journey? Tune in to find out!

Not sure the result would give an entirely accurate account of the typical journey towards AD though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant! Can I get episodes 1 & 2 on a box set or are they still on CatchuUpForum, please?

Why do you guys always leave us with a cliff hanger? When is the next episode. Does he get an AD test-examiner out of Hendon (boo) or Thames Valley (hurray). What happens next, please?!!!!!!!!!
hir

Postby trashbat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 am

I for one am looking forward to Ross Kemp on Brake Gear Separation.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby ITVCaughtOnCamera » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 am

We want this to be a thoughtful and insightful film that goes beyond the standard clip show format and doesn't take a them/us approach, widening divisions on the road - that's exactly why we're reaching out to people like you. Please tell us what you want to see, and get in touch.
ITVCaughtOnCamera

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:40 pm

ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:We want this to be a thoughtful and insightful film that goes beyond the standard clip show format and doesn't take a them/us approach, widening divisions on the road - that's exactly why we're reaching out to people like you. Please tell us what you want to see, and get in touch.

But if you are looking for dashcam clips, as you say you are, then you are only going to get the sensational.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 pm

ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:We want this to be a thoughtful and insightful film that goes beyond the standard clip show format and doesn't take a them/us approach, widening divisions on the road - that's exactly why we're reaching out to people like you. Please tell us what you want to see, and get in touch.

OK, I'll bite :)

Presumably if you're taking a non-judgemental approach, there will need to be a high degree of direction or editing when you tell the stories behind the clips? That, then, runs the risk of a 'dry' delivery, relying on the 'shock' value of the clips themselves to carry viewers' interest through the interviews?

That said, would you take the same sort of approach as used by, for example 'Helicopter Heroes' and 'Real Rescues', perhaps focussing on the injuries sustained, recovery (or not) and long-term implications and consequences? Or will your model be more like '24 hours in A&E', with light-touch voice over?

If you wish to avoid widening divisions on the road, have you considered expanding this to attempt reduction, perhaps by helping road users to understand others' limitations, such as the restricted visibility around HGVs (with consequent risk to pedestrians, cyclists - even overtaking car drivers when passing continental left-hand-drive artics) or the difficulties motorcyclists have in poor weather - reduced visibility and grip?

Furthermore, will you expand on the incidents you show (will you call them 'accidents'?) to explain how they might have been avoided by improved hazard perception or a greater willingness to share the road and take a pro-social approach?

I look forward to hearing your reply :) Thanks.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby hir » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 pm

That doesn't resonate with your opening post...

"For a brand new primetime show about UK road crashes, near misses, scrapes and escapes, ITV are looking for footage filmed on dash cams and helmet cams by road users across the country.

Do you wonder why we are so sceptical?
hir

Postby Angus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:32 am

I've had an email via RoadHawk asking for clips for this program. Different email but also a mobile no
Angus

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:27 pm

waremark wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:It's cheap to produce though and that's the point, along with the "reality" and sensational aspect.

How would you suggest making good watchable TV out of teaching AD? If you were given a 5 minute slot on Top Gear how would you use it? Honest question. I am obsessed by AD, and I still find most AD videos boring.

First suggestion, I'd have you and Clarkson in a Bugatti Veyron SS, in Germany, on the Autobahns. Taking turns trying to hit vmax.
That though would be with both giving a full commentary whilst driving.
Second suggestion, let's see The Stig driving on public roads with an IAM Examiner alongside.
Third suggestion, two fifty something old drivers, one with many RTCs , the other a long time ADer, what's the difference?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum