A new toy or two

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby trashbat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 am

So I've been enamoured recently by something called Assetto Corsa, a racing simulator, probably about as good as it's got to date in terms of realism.

After a bit of time with that, and questions as to the level of acceptable geekiness, I also bought this thing, currently £170 in Currys:

(Yes, I did move the monitor)

It's really good - 900 degree steering, force feedback including variable and quite powerful resistance whilst steering, centering spring etc., and either flappy paddles or a proper stick.

The pedals are loaded differently too, so braking is in the region of the right feel, but they are linear. You can improve that with expensive modifications if you so desire.

Obviously track technique is its own world, but it's funny how much I've learnt in a short space of time. It's also interesting to turn off the various aids like ABS and see just how much I was counting on them.

I wondered if the hardware could have potential applications in AD, like measuring and practising smoothness, but I'm just thinking out loud now.

Anyone else have similar?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm

trashbat wrote: I wondered if the hardware could have potential applications in AD, like measuring and practising smoothness, but I'm just thinking out loud now.

Simply, 'yes', e.g.:

http://www.trl.co.uk/reports-publicatio ... ortid=6966 Simulator training for fuel efficiency

http://www.trl.co.uk/reports-publicatio ... ortid=6231 SCOTSIM: An evaluation of the effectiveness of two truck simulators for professional driver training

The SCOTSIM project, funded by the Scottish Road Haulage Modernisation Fund, conducted research into the viability of state-of-the-art driving simulation techniques in training professional truck drivers in advanced skills of fuel efficiency, vehicle sympathy and hazard awareness. The project procured, commissioned, and validated two state-of-the art truck simulators (mobile and fixed location units); adopted SAFED-style principles in the delivery of training and the assessment of trainees; established an advanced automatic assessment system that made best use of the simulator capabilities; provided 700 trainees with a detailed programme of training exercises; measured changes in driving style and performance; and through this process, established a training competence that could form the basis of commercial training in Scotland. Results showed an average improvement in time taken to complete the drives (reduced by 10.6%), in gear change frequency (reduced by 20.8%), and in fuel efficiency (improved by 11.4%). Making some simple assumptions and using the figure of 11.4% fuel usage improvement, an estimated annual per driver cost benefit of £2,260 can be derived. The subjective opinions of the trainees were sought regarding the effectiveness and realism of the simulator training, with overwhelmingly positive results. Initial problems of simulator sickness were tackled to reduce incidence to acceptable levels. Further work was undertaken in consultation with industry representatives, academics, and the Driving Standards Agency to develop four additional training modules to meet the particular needs of the Scottish haulage industry. The modules focus on: hazard perception, driver attitude, slow speed manoeuvres and emergency manoeuvres. All modules have been completed and are available on both simulators. All of the project research objectives were met.

http://www.doronprecision.com/

http://www.faac.com/fireemssimulators.htm

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-product ... imulation/ several links
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby trashbat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Ta, I'll see if I can get the reports later. I bet the bespoke products cost a fortune, and being a software engineer, I wondered if there's any application for a comparatively cheap program, using off-the-shelf kit, that can be used in training.
trashbat

Postby michael769 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 pm

trashbat wrote:Ta, I'll see if I can get the reports later. I bet the bespoke products cost a fortune, and being a software engineer, I wondered if there's any application for a comparatively cheap program, using off-the-shelf kit, that can be used in training.

You might be surprised.

I know of one Train Operating Company whose simulator uses a freeware game.....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:13 pm

trashbat wrote:Ta, I'll see if I can get the reports later.

[Free] registration needed, IIRC

trashbat wrote: I bet the bespoke products cost a fortune, and being a software engineer, I wondered if there's any application for a comparatively cheap program, using off-the-shelf kit, that can be used in training.

They vary :)

The US ones are probably quite expensive, but I think some are trailer-mounted. The TRL DigiTruck is something akin to the things you see giving 'rides' at large shows, it's big enough to contain a full lorry cab and a wall of video projectors and screens.

This, though, is cheaper:
http://www.trl.co.uk/solutions/attitude ... nidigisim/
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby trashbat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:14 pm

michael769 wrote:You might be surprised.

I know of one Train Operating Company whose simulator uses a freeware game.....

Good! No point reinventing the wheel and all that, although in my experience people do like to.

Plenty of examples out there: the UK military heavily use VBS2, a simulator that has its roots in the PC game Operation Flashpoint, later ARMA.
trashbat

Postby Rick101 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:46 am

I have a G27. Think it's a cracking wheel. Bit noisy but does the job and ripe for mods if you're into that sort of thing.
Lots of pricier options from the Fanatec's in the £100's to more exotic stuff into 4 figures.
I fitted the TSS brake mod to mine. Quite expensive but made a big difference to realism.

I've heard a lot about Assetto, not tried it yet but suppose I should. I use iRacing. Been on that for a couple of years. One of the slower drivers but it's fun all the same when you start to see improvements.

TSS Brake mod

Rig
Last edited by Rick101 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick101

Postby Gareth » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Rick101 wrote:I have a G27.

I was quite disappointed to realise you didn't mean the car ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby trashbat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Rick101 wrote:I have a G27. Think it's a cracking wheel. Bit noisy but does the job and ripe for mods if you're into that sort of thing.
Lots of pricier options from the Fanatec's in the £100's to more exotic stuff into 4 figures.
I fitted the TSS brake mod to mine. Quite expensive but made a big difference to realism.

I've heard a lot about Assetto, not tried it yet but suppose I should. I use iRacing. Been on that for a couple of years. One of the slower drivers but it's fun all the same when you start to see improvements.

It's really good. Not tried iRacing - the closest thing I have to AC is GTR2, which I've also started to use (big plus: has a driving school) but it's nearly ten years old and showing its age a little.
trashbat

Postby Rick101 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:54 am

iRacing is more for online sim racing than anything else. Prob not as shiny as Assetto but if live racing is what you're after, it can't be beaten. Some very fast guys on there with a lot of knowledge. There is a test mode you can use to learn circuits but otherwise it's all live.

It is quite expensive but does have offers on regularly. If ou've already got a wheel, thats most of the cost done...well until you start upgrading anyway!

http://www.simsteering.com/products.html :wink:
Rick101

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:33 pm

I have the G25 wheel and pedals, again with 900 degrees of motion, separate gear lever and 3 pedals. I use it for GTR2, GTL, LFS, Race 07 and it's add-ons. I was even daft enough to but Test Drive Unlimited... which is rubbish but has a certain charm. Not tried AC yet.

Virtual petrol is a damn sight cheaper than the real thing! :)
Gromit37

Return to General Car Chat Forum