dash camera advice

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby kwaka jack » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm looking for some advice on what dash camera to get. I had been looking at the Mini 0803, but I want to make its going to be good enough. Has anyone got one? or any other recommendations?

Many thanks

Jackson
kwaka jack

Postby Rick101 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:59 am

I recently purchased one. It's excellent.
Paid a little more and bought from a UK seller. Very helpful and comes fully set up ready to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MK2-Mini- ... 51c371e212

I'll stick some footage up later.
Rick101

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Have a think about what you want it for.

GPS linked
3 axis g force recording
Auto incident record
Insurance discounts - may need professional installation
Covert appearance

Etc
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby akirk » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:12 pm

How bizarre - without having seen this thread - I have just bought exactly the same one - from the same seller above - this afternoon... :)

it should arrive this week

Alasdair
akirk

Postby kwaka jack » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Rick101 wrote:I recently purchased one. It's excellent.
Paid a little more and bought from a UK seller. Very helpful and comes fully set up ready to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MK2-Mini- ... 51c371e212

I'll stick some footage up later.

Thats the one I've been looking at. Some footage would be great, thanks. Have you tried it out at night? I'd be interested to see what thats like.
Last edited by kwaka jack on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwaka jack

Postby kwaka jack » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Horse wrote:Have a think about what you want it for.

GPS linked
3 axis g force recording
Auto incident record
Insurance discounts - may need professional installation
Covert appearance

Etc

I'd like one with GPS, Insurance discounts would be a bouns but no biggie if not.
kwaka jack

Postby akirk » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:44 pm

There is a good review here:
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6/15/ ... creen.html
with 22 minutes of youtube footage!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Mine arrived tonight - full of compliments for the seller linked above - it came with all the settings including time etc. correctly set for the UK market - nice touch. Very easy to install, ran it on a trip in the dark to the local town - not at the highest quality level and the image quality is fantastic - really pleased with it... Can't put up any footage at the moment as it is in .mov format and my version of Quicktime Pro to edit that is not set up currently...

Comes with software on the chip - you copy across the .mov files and the gps files and run the software - it puts it all together and shows you the video with an adjacent google maps showing your route real time to the video - very impressive!

look forward to trying it tomorrow in the daylight

Alasdair
akirk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:07 pm

It's like you're all wishing for 1984.
Sleepwalking into that nightmare future, whilst those who want that sit back and smile as you willingly acquiesce.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby akirk » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:04 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:It's like you're all wishing for 1984.
Sleepwalking into that nightmare future, whilst those who want that sit back and smile as you willingly acquiesce.

Not at all, i have bought mine to record my drives to learn from them... Think of it as a cheap go-pro not intending to run it all the time...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:16 am

akirk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:It's like you're all wishing for 1984.

Not at all, i have bought mine to record my drives to learn from them... Think of it as a cheap go-pro not intending to run it all the time...

Alasdair

Use your brain, I can remember all my mistakes from fifty years of riding and driving.
I don't need any dashcam.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Rick101 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:34 am

Do you remember your exact speed, g force, road condition and able to recall the vehicles around you too?
Rick101

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 am

Rick101 wrote:Do you remember your exact speed, g force, road condition and able to recall the vehicles around you too?

I shouldn't think he does remember all that information; not least because he and I had no means of gathering the information and recording it for future reference and analysis. Even so, we seemed to cope OK.

With regard to the use of dash cameras, I have no interest in having one and then putting stuff on YouTube showing (what I might consider to be) the failings of other road users. I might like to have such a device, as I've sometimes wondered what it feels like to be driven by me: but being of a nervous disposition I'm not such I'd enjoy what I see. I might just end up even more depressed at my performance. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby trashbat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:15 am

I'm cautious of dashcams, not because of the stuff mentioned so far, but because the presence of a camera may change one's driving behaviours - the observer effect.

The two obvious risks are that one, it subtly relaxes your attitude towards defensive driving - but if I get into a non-fault accident, I'll have proof - and also I think there's a tendency to try and create interesting footage, either on your own or by allowing situations to develop further than they would have. I briefly had a camera on a bike and felt this temptation.

Now I'm sure the saner minds of the AD community will be able to manage their behaviours better than most, but I'm not suggesting anyone ever deliberately rushes out to get in a fiery, YouTubeable crash. At least give it some thought.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Rick101 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

It doesn't make me drive any different to how I did previously.
Fit and forget, until the time video footage would be especially helpful.

I got one out of regret. I was asked to recall a scene and there was some information I could not recall. A dashcam would have solved that issue. Either that or being so clever you can recall every detail from 50 years previous :roll:
Rick101

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum