Winter tyres - 2014

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby revian » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm

TripleS wrote: Look guys, let's just accept that we're going to make our own judgements about these matters. I mean, listening to some people you'd think that cars with cross ply tyres and drum brakes, let alone a floor mounted dipswitch, :wink: are completely unmanageable. Strangely enough, I didn't find that to be the case.

I'd join in with the :wink: ... I used to really enjoy snow driving in my dads Vauxhall Victor FB...rear wheel drive of course. It was best when no one else had compacted it... Snow not car...

my pension year 'approach' has already been mentioned... 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 am

Living on the Sussex coast where few people have any recent experience of driving on snow my solution is simple. I don't do it.
There are far too many people who think that 4 wheel drive and even ABS will save the day and there's no need to adapt to the conditions. Or on the other hand are too cautious.
It's just not worth the bother and I have found summer tyres on the MX5 work just as well on bright cold winter days. The type of weather this car with its' bionic heater was made for.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:53 am

Temporarily amended thread title: All-season tyres - 2015.

I now have a nice new pair of Quatrac 3 tyres on old CUBby's front wheels, so all I need now is a modest serving of snow and ice, and then I might learn something. Well I might, you never know... :lol:

Of course if they are not a success, it'll all be Gareth's fault, coz he 'sold them' to me. :wink:
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum