Winter tyres - 2014

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Time again for one of my favourite topics!

This year, I'm looking for tyres to fit my 185/60 R15 84H tyres but to no avail. There are a few offerings from some unheard of budget end brands such as "Effiplus", "Roadstone", "Toyo", "Petlas" and the like. I'm not one to skimp on tyres, so none of these are ticking the boxes for me.

I've looked at some review sites for this year Auto Express and Auto Bild, which favour the usual few - Nokian, Continental, etc but none of these are sized for my wheels.

My question is - what can I change? My understanding is that it's generally* acceptable to increase load index and/or speed rating, but can I go for XLs?

* subject to verifying with insurer of course!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby trashbat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 pm

XLs will be fine, but probably increase rotational weight.

You may be able to fit bigger tyres without issue. For instance I'm told I can fit 225/45/17 in place of 215/45/17. You'd have to find out about that for your car.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:I'm looking for tyres to fit my 185/60 R15 84H tyres but to no avail.

Is this the normal size for your car? You might find that 175/65R15 increases your options.

Most insurers will accept a lower speed rating for winter tyres -- there are some very good 84T options -- but might want you to put a maximum speed sticker next to the speedo, (although T is for up to 118 mph).

Have you considered an all-season tyre - again it might increase the available range.

Not a problem using a higher load rating or speed rating - the load rating is the important one though so don't go below what is specified for your car.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 8 Ball » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Sorry Gareth. I'm not sure if your reply is strictly correct. 65 15's versus 60 15's will surely increase the diameter and put your speedo and mileometer out. ( I'm farly new on this forum, I hope disagreement will not lead to a load of aggro, as does happen on another well known AD forum)

I agree on the load factor but the speed rating is generally lower for a comparable winter tyre.
On mine width has gone from 225 Summer to 205 winter, and speed rating from W to T, and is still within specification.

Be aware that increasing diameter or tyre width may well affect the wheel arch clearance and steering lock.
Also may limit the fitting of wheel chains.
8 Ball

Postby michael769 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Bridgestone do a 185/60R15 84H A001, though that is an all weather M+S rather than a full winter. Bridgestone do recommend this tyre for the UK climate though.

It's fine to use XL tyres - thei just indicates they have a higher than standard maximum operating pressure for vehicles that carry heavy loads. T speed rating is also fine if you don't intend to exceed the 118 limit, whihc brings in loads of options

It is also usually acceptable to go one size down or up in width provided you also adjust the profile so a 175/65R15 or 195/55R15 should be fine and not cause a significant error in the speedo. With winter tyres is is usually better to go narrower if you plan to drive on snow.

Changing the tyre size will mean they will need to be reported to the insurers and many will load the premium a little, though some only do so if you go bigger. Going for the same size but higher load index is likely to be less hassle.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Silk » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Time again for one of my favourite topics!

Here we go again... :roll:
Silk

Postby michael769 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 am

michael769

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Slink_Pink wrote: "Toyo"

Not unheard of and not budget, indeed control tyres in some MSA race series.
For road use, as a generalisation, opinion tends to be that Toyo tyres better suit lighter cars, your wanting for 15 inch wheels would imply a car that is not heavy, although you've not said what car.

Eta, it's crossed my mind that insurers might have wanted to load premiums for winter tyres thinking that with the previous and current "publicity" such fitments might be more of a target for theft.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Toyo tyres are recommended by some on the Focus ST owners club...not tried them myself but they are certainly not classed as 'budget'.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Toyo have quite a long history on motorsports, it's regarded as being at the top end of it's home market in Japan. It does it's own R&D from a large techincal centre in Osaka.

The only review of them I could find was in the Auto Bild Winter Tyre braking test....

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... erview.htm
michael769

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:07 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote: "Toyo"

Not unheard of and not budget, indeed control tyres in some MSA race series.
For road use, as a generalisation, opinion tends to be that Toyo tyres better suit lighter cars, your wanting for 15 inch wheels would imply a car that is not heavy, although you've not said what car.

Eta, it's crossed my mind that insurers might have wanted to load premiums for winter tyres thinking that with the previous and current "publicity" such fitments might be more of a target for theft.

I stand corrected - not one I've heard of but then I don't follow motorsport.
The vehicle is a Toyota Yaris - 56 plate so second generation I think and yes it is pretty small/light.

Silk wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:Time again for one of my favourite topics!

Here we go again... :roll:

Remember Silk, you don't have to read it or contribute if it's not of interest to you...

michael769 wrote:Toyo have quite a long history on motorsports, it's regarded as being at the top end of it's home market in Japan. It does it's own R&D from a large techincal centre in Osaka.

The only review of them I could find was in the Auto Bild Winter Tyre braking test....

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... erview.htm

Thanks for the link - saves me searching. They do seem quite far down the list but I'll look carefully at them. I generally favour Japanese things (hence the Toyota) as they do design and build with, IMO, unparalleled quality.

Going all-season does seem to give a few more options. Hard to find reasonable comparison reviews as they're mostly US which seem to have a different type of all season tyre, sorry tire.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby michael769 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 am

Slink_Pink wrote:
Going all-season does seem to give a few more options. Hard to find reasonable comparison reviews as they're mostly US which seem to have a different type of all season tyre, sorry tire.

tyrereviews.co.uk has links to English versions of quite a few European comparison tests.
michael769

Postby trashbat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 am

For what it's worth, I have the Nokian WR A3, apparently very similar to the D3. There may be better options and it doesn't always come out right at the top in the reviews, but I think they're excellent.

At £50 they cost you half what they cost me, too. If I were you and knew I was going to keep the car (or a compatible replacement) for long enough, I'd just buy some wheels and swap them over yourself rather than paying for twice-annual changeovers.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:22 pm

From those listed in 185/60R15 on mytyres and depending on the characteristics I wanted, I'd be considering any of
  • Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 - 84T or 88T
  • Goodyear Ultra Grip 9 - 84T or 88T
  • Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons - 88H
  • Hankook OPTIMO 4S H730 - 84T or 88T
  • Michelin ALPIN A4 - 88H
  • Nokian WR D3 - 84T or 88T
  • Vredestein Quatrac 3 - 84T, 88T, 84H or 88H
  • Vredestein Quatrac 5 - 88H (although I'd want to see an independent comparison review)
  • Vredestein Snowtrac 3 - 88T
and maybe tyres from some of the (other) major manufacturers, depending on how well they did in reviews for relatively similar tyre sizes.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Silk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Remember Silk, you don't have to read it or contribute if it's not of interest to you...

What makes you think it doesn't interest me? I have a car and it has tyres. Of course I'm interested.

I like my tyres to last as long as possible, provide a smooth ride and not have too much of a detrimental effect on fuel economy. Other than that, I don't believe there's that much to choose between them, so the cheapest sounds like a plan.

As the weather in the South of the UK is relatively benign for the vast majority of the time, there's no point in spending money on anything other than normal tyres.

Some may disagree. I have no problem with that. Just as HiFi enthusiasts will go on until the end of time about the relative merits of one type of speaker cable over another (and spend considerable sums on same), car enthusiasts are welcome to do so with tyres. It's their money.
Silk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum